Good foods to help you feel full on 1200 calories a day?

Options

Replies

• ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I like String cheese and pretzels, hard boiled eggs, tomatoes with cottage cheese, oatmeal....those are my favs.
  • GraceOrr
    Options
    Lots and lots of protein and fiber. Veggies are low in cals and you can eat a ton of them. Chicken, eggs, fish, and steak.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    anyone's diary that is open to the public is a great place to get some ideas too....

Light string cheese
    Peanut Butter
    Smoothies
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to mfp and I'm hungry! I haven't managed to stay within the 1200 calories a day very often. If anyone is willing to share filling snack ideas I would greatly appreciate it! I think I might be better off trying 6 small snacky meals each day.
    I'd kill myself eating that little.

I'd recommend setting your goals to 1lb of weight loss per week, and make sure you are eating back your exercise calories.
  • MrsAWhite
    MrsAWhite Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thin sliced deli ham spread with laughing cow garlic and herb cheese wrapped around a dill spear..
  • leavingfat
    leavingfat Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I love Chobani with 1/4 cup of Kashi Go Lean Crunch for breakfast. It makes me super full. There's a lot of sugar in the flavored varieties of the yogurt, so sometimes I have plain with a bit of cinnamon or some fresh fruit instead of the flavored.
  • RahBuhBuh
    RahBuhBuh Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I like McDonald's oatmeal (without the fruit) for 190 calories. I get two for 380 and it fills me up till lunch. Also, Wendy's large chili is 330 and suits me well for dinner. Fat free greek yogurt has lots of protein so it tends to stick with you. These are my fast and filling go to meals!

Same!

Oatmeal and Wendy's Chili! I usually eat oatmeal every morning and often for lunch. Keeps me full with plenty of calories left for other meals.
  • mhoverman
    mhoverman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Homemade OR Progresso broth based soups...doesn't need to be the light kind, either!
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I've been on 1200 since 10.1.2011. Have not gone over one day. My diary is public feel free to look at it. I do usually eat five times a day and do not feel hungry hardly ever. Good luck.
  • Angeleyes713
    Options
    I try to eat "dinner" foods for breakfast and "breakfast" foods for dinner. I often have a 1/2 cup dried quaker oats (3/4 cup cooked oatmeal) with 1/2-1 cup grapes. it's more filling than it looks.
    Also I had been having a decent sized burrito in the mornings but I felt hungry later when I didn't have a lot of calories left. So I cut it in half and had half for breakfast and the other half at lunch, then my other foods at my normal times and didn't feel hungry later during the day. I'm also on 1200 calories.
    Also it is not healthy to not eat enough calories, better to eat a tid bit over than go into starvation mode. You can exercise to "earn" more calories.
    I thought of one more tip. It helps me to plan out the next day the night before if I want to eat something in particular that's high in calories so I don't overdo it that day.
  • jbootman
    jbootman Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    hard boiled egg whites,

carrots,

TOMATOES
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Protein, protein, protein! Fiber rich foods also! Spread your meals out so you are eating at least something with protein and/or fiber every 2-3 hours.

Lots of water too!
  • JessicaT2007
    JessicaT2007 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I like to eat :
    oatmeal
    sweet potatoes
    greek yogurt
    butternut squash
    acorn squash

All of those are pretty filling to me.
  • susanb573
    susanb573 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Veggies such as frozen brussel sprouts, brocolli, cauliflower, carrots
    Salad twice a day with either no dressing or a tiny bit of fat free dressing
    Green beans

I eat an enormous quantity of food but most of it's veggies so I almost never hit my calorie goal. This evening I splurged and had a belgian waffle and I still have 300 or so calories to eat because I had so many veggies for lunch
  • Dickersondiva
    Dickersondiva Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If 1200 calories is your NET goal, then nothing says you have to eat ONLY 1200 calories. If you are exercising, you can have more than 1200 calories. If you want to eat more, then walk an hour or so....put some calories back into your NET, and eat those too.
  • starshine420
    Options
    fruity protein shakes and lots of exercise, the more you exercise, the more you can eat. I'm never hungry anymore :)
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies are always a great option. I love snacking on hard boiled eggs too though, only 70cal an egg. Also, make sure you're getting enough protein. Fruits and veggies alone won't make you feel full unless you're getting protein. Peanut butter is good too. High in calories, but it really stick with you and has lots of healthy fat and protein. Put a little on a whole wheat english muffin. Oatmeal is pretty substantial as well.

I agree with other as well- exercise and then you get to eat a little more. It really makes a big difference. On days I work out I usually get about 1500 calories and I never feel hungry.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    oat bran, broccolli, protien bars and shakes, nuts, brown rice, lean protien (beans, fish, chicken, etc), ummm, thats all i got for now.
  • schildmom78
    Options
    I like to eat white rice with a tablespoon of soy sauce.. you can eat 1/2 cup of the rice, and it is filling.. I love mushrooms, so I saute some and add it to the white rice!!! I find that i dont always need the full tablespoon of soy sauce! I like the garlic/butter tilapia that Gordons makes.. its in the freezer section! I also eat the 100 calorie snacks, like the cookies, snack mixes etc....
  • sophiamour
    Options
    My two biggest tips for being full on a 1200 calorie day.

Anything with a good deal of fiber and protein will help you feeling full, and usually be a food with a reasonable amount of calories.

Whole grains do the trick. Oats for breakfast, maybe with a little yogurt, brown rice, wheat breads, beans.

Also, try not to drink your calories. Even juices, which are healthy. A cup of apple juice has more calories than an apple itself, but none of the fiber...so you are far better off eating that apple! Try water with a squeeze of lemon and hot tea!

Good luck. Let me know if I can help.