Embarrassing question but need help

Options

Replies

• fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    48 oz is only 6 glasses yesterday. You could up it a little. "They" recommend at least 8. Exercise helps get things moving. Fibrous veggies as opposed to lettuce which doesn't have much. Berries.
  • lynne_p
    lynne_p Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have been regularly irregular all my life. Just recently I have added about 1/3 cup of cashews daily. It works wonders!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    #1 change your settings, 25g is the min fiber intake, MFP sets it incorrectly to 15 just like how protein is wrong at 15%, should be 25-35%
  • crikee15
    crikee15 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    ok heres the thing you need to remember now i was looking at your food journal and although it didn't have fiber listed it seems that you ate getting lots. however you either don't list your water intake regularly or you are not getting enough water. fiber only works if you drink enough water to help "push it through" otherwise it will just add to the problem.

^This.

I might not agree with the rest of what was said (which is why I didn't quote it), but looking at your diary you only listed 5 cups of water at the most, while 1-3 cups (if it was logged at all) was more common. If you're truly consuming between 14-41g of fiber per day, you probably need at least 9 cups of water to move all that fiber along. I try to hit 25g of fiber a day but I also aim for somewhere between 8-12 cups of water, or else the fiber just adds to the constipation. I would actually recommend that you up your water intake to at least 8 cups. Also, MFP sets a very low fiber goal, the ADA recommends 25g/day for women. Good luck!
  • izerop
    izerop Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    16 oz of prune juice does the trick for me. Make sure you are near the toilet.
  • loridtate
    loridtate Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I put Fiber in my coffee and that helps. But one thing that really helps me is walking. After a good brisk walk I always need to go!!
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I've had problems with this as well. I try for 9 glasses of water a day. My doc recommends prunes (although I don't like them), Activia yogurt (hey, I also don't care for that). When chemical intervention is necessary, he recommends Miralax, b/c it's supposed to be the most gentle OTC. Upping the water intake seems to do the trick for me.

Good luck. You'll find what works for you.
  • Mama_CAEI
    Mama_CAEI Posts: 235
    Options
    If you decide to try upping your fibre, make sure you drink plenty of water as well!! If you eat all roughage with no water, you will just bung yourself up more. Fibre works when it swells with water. No water = extra waste = even more constipated.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I forgot, Ground flax seeds. My son likes it mixed with milk. with 2 glasses of water. don't forget the water because they can plug you up without it.
  • hojo94
    hojo94 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem... Coffee helps some what, but I also take a supliment called Cascara Segrada... ONLY TAKE ONE till you know what it does to you. It works for me, just enough to get things moving, but a friend of mine tried it, and was on the toilet for a day straight... Good luck!
  • Dammitviv
    Dammitviv Posts: 117
    Options
    If increased water, juices and fiber don't help, it might be worth a trip to the doc just to make sure that nothing more serious is going on. Also, be careful with fiber suppliments; too much can cause constipation.
  • FinallyFindingLisa
    FinallyFindingLisa Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through everything but I didn't see this one - sour kraut, if you like it. It works wonders for me, also, while not recommended a lot of the sugar free candies can help as well. I once (and only once) made the mistake of a 1/2 of a LARGE can of sour kraut and 2 or 3 pieces of sugar free (hershey's miniatures) chocolate. It definately did the trick :embarassed:
  • sarahthecamper
    sarahthecamper Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    When you wake up, chug a glass of water with psyllium (stir quickly and chug it down) then follow up with another glass of water. After a little while you'll be good to go! Coffee is also pretty friendly in that department.

Well, it might be embarrassing, but you are sure not alone! :) I recently learned of psyllium seed husks. A friend recommends 1.5 table spoons in water at night before bed. But she cautioned that you need to drink it right away because otherwise it starts to solidify. She claims she wakes up and is ready to "go" with it. I'm going to try it. Apparently it is bought from health food stories. Here is a link for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psyllium_seed_husks
  • FatFreeLea
    Options
    Be careful when someone says "fruits." Apple is a well-known constipator. =]
  • pinkribbons4hope
    Options
    Hey everyone! I want to thank you all so incredibly much for taking the time to respond to my post, and for those of you who did look over my diary for doing so! Like I said in my original post I drink much more water than I ever log...I find it a pain to log it! But I will definitely try and drink more water each and every day :smile: You will all be very happy to know I have had success :blushing:

I drank 24 oz of water this morning after taking a laxative. I had a cup of green tea, a handful of grapes, and then worked out. Success! I will remember everything you have all suggested, and will be picking up some probiotics, and Smooth Move from the store next time I am there!

Many thanks, and :heart: to you all!

-Liz :flowerforyou:
  • RunTheDay
    Options
    I have a HUGE issue with this, and always have. What works for me is drinking warm water with sea salt in it in the morning. It flushes right through me. About 8 ounces with half a tsp in it gets me moving. I dont know if it would work for you, but it works for me! Water needs to be warm :). and also done on an empty stomach. I dont leave the house after since I have to go so soon after, and it is not pleasant :(. but it works! And is natural.
  • KaylaBlu2019
    KaylaBlu2019 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I didn't get to read the whole thread so not sure if anyone has said this yet or not but '

Fresh ground flax seed in your breakfast cereal/oatmeal.. It has a nice nutty taste (not very strong) and helps keep me on track. :)
  • diva500
    diva500 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I eat the McDonalds oatmeat....LOL hey it works...LOL
  • miserywaterfall
    Options
    Thank you so much for asking this! Have had the same problem for a while now and it is horrible :( So will definitely give some of these suggestions a try!
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You are going to hear a ton of different things and it's best to try and see what works for you... Here are some suggestions:

Up your fiber intake, make sure you're drinking enough water, make sure you're getting enough fat in your diet, prune juice works well, make sure you're getting enough magnesium (if not take vitamins).... Coffee helps for some.

If all of those things don't work...
    Try something like benefiber, laxatives, or Smooth Move tea.
    If it gets to this point where you become dependent on the things above (laxatives and such) you might want to visit your doctor.