Stat-at-home moms 3/16-3/22

Options

Replies

• 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say Happy Friday! I'll be back in later during the kids' naps. I'm trying to pack us all up & head to the gym in about an hour & a half. Considering 1 is still sleeping, 1 is naked & the other is still in jammies, I need to get moving. :laugh:

Stacy - I know the feeling about taking all 3 out with you anywhere! It gets hectic! Sorry you had a disaster of an outing!

Iftcheiaf - Just FYI, the only vitamins you can OD on are the fat soluble ones; A, D, E & K. The rest are water soluble. I'm so glad you found the B12! I might have to try that!

Dana - Welcome back?

Julia - Welcome to the group! I love the name Abigail! Another one of the mommies in here has an Abigail, too (Marla). :happy:

Jules - Welcome back to you, too! Try not to stress out so much! The scale does not determine your self-worth!

Okay, gotta run. Sorry to those I missed! I'll be back later to finish checking in! Have a lovely day!
  • mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Welcome newbies!!!

Well I am extremely tired this morning. My oldest woke up a lot last night and he is 6. He is struggling with going #2 and is kind of miserable right now. Plus I am feel like the worst mom in the world. He has struggled with this since he was like 1 and the doctor put him on miralax for about 2 years now or so. This week has been kind of crazy and I got off schedule and forgot a lot of doses. I feel so guilty that he is going through this. I keep telling him that needs to eat more fruit, veggies, and drink more water. to help, but he is 6 and I am the mom and need to be more forceful but not sure how. He doesn't like a lot of things so its hard to get him to eat extremely healthy. Sorry to go on and on, just wanted to say hello and try to stay in touch with everyone so I can get more motivated to do this. I did great yesterday until lunch and then it went down hill. Maybe our next thread should be about great low calorie recipes. I am just stumped when it comes to food and trying to incorporate that in my meals.

Hope everyone has a great day.:flowerforyou:
    Jules
  • CrystalOKeefe
    Options
    Hey Mommies sorry I havent been around we got a group going and I have been trying to figure out all the site and spreadsheet stuff ! So far so good I lost 2.6 pounds this week! Yay !

Thank You all who voted for my Maeve, unfortunely Maeve didnt win , BUT A very very cute baby did win! I hope everyone is doing good ! Finally all healthy here!

Have a very healthy day !!
    :flowerforyou:
  • loreeb18
    loreeb18 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Just a quick vent and run. I'll try to get back in to post more later. Harley had her 6-month doctor's appointment yesterday. She got shots but she did great. Today she's got a little fever. Usuing the ear thermometer I got between 99 and 101. I knew she had one because she's a little furnace, making me feel like I'm having hot flashes while I'm holding her. She's not fussy or anything so I'm not worried about it though.

She's either hot from the shots or cause she's teething. She has a white spot on her lower gums. It just hasn't popped through yet. She's also got the cold thing that doctors swear babies don't get when teething but all moms know babies do. :laugh: Yesterday when we were at Wal*Mart, she sneezed and had a nice mess all down her upper lip. Luckily my mom was there and took pity on me and wiped her nose because she knows how I am about boogies. *gag*

I got a cold too. Yesterday my throat started being scratchy and today I'm sneezing like crazy. Dave was gone last night for work. He'll get home tonight. I can't wait so he can take over baby duty and I can just flop on the couch.
  • mrsbuzz
    Options

She's either hot from the shots or cause she's teething. She has a white spot on her lower gums. It just hasn't popped through yet. She's also got the cold thing that doctors swear babies don't get when teething but all moms know babies do. :laugh:

I totally understand that. :wink: My youngest son Evan who is 2 now, always got a runny nose and feverish stuff to. I saw everytime he got a tooth or was teething he would act like he had a cold. He also got the poops too. So i totally understand.
  • mossmommy
    mossmommy Posts: 63
    Options

She's either hot from the shots or cause she's teething. She has a white spot on her lower gums. It just hasn't popped through yet. She's also got the cold thing that doctors swear babies don't get when teething but all moms know babies do.

Abby just got her bottom two teeth in and her top two are right behind them. She had a fever the entire time (which my doctor kept insisting was something else) and the sneezing and tiny bit of coughing. The best way I've gotten her over most of that now is alternating the tylenol and motrin (to bring the fever down) putting orajel on her gums every 4 hours (to keep her from getting fussy) and to give her tons of water and her usual formula and to back off from the foods (which helps her not to get sick from the mucus and stuff she keeps sneezing going down in her tummy).

I hope your little one is feeling ok. Its fun to see them get teeth. Abby is my first so now that she has teeth I'm like "okay, now she looks like a baby" not just all gums!
  • Mom2SS
    Mom2SS Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi ladies,

Wondering if I can join your thread? I haven't gotten through all the pages of it yet, but am hoping to in the next day or so.

I'm Deb, Canadian SAHM to 2 kids, a 2 year old boy and 7 month old girl. I've got about 60 pounds to lose, although I haven't decided on a final goal. I'll decide for sure once I get there.

I feel like I am really ready now to take the weight off. I gained most of it the year after my wedding. Then having 3 pregnancies (one was a miscarriage) over 2 years didn't have me at a point where I could lose it. I'm not carrying any of my pregnancy weight, but I've still got lots of extra that I am ready to be done with. We're done with our 2 kids, so I feel like my body is my own now and I am ready to lose that weight! Besides which, I need to keep up with my toddler.

I also really want to get connected with a community because I know it will make a huge difference for me.

I hope everyone is doing well. :)
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Lyn_Matthews Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Welcom Mom2SS! I hope you find the support and "community" feel that you are looking for. I love this website for those exact reasons. Being a SAHM we often feel disconnected from the REAL world...well for the last 7 months MFP has been my real world. People going thru the same things I am and have the same goals I do. Best of luck to you and glad you found us.

Lori-I totally know about that "cold" teething babies get. Adi has it for about a week before the tooth comes in. Since she now has 4 (2 up 2 down) and is working on 3 (yes 3) more we have seen a lot of boogers. The best thing we can do to help her is elevate her crib matteress just a bit (we slid a pillow under one end of the matteress) and run a cold air humidifier in her room constantly. We also give her Hyland's Teething Tabs (100% Natural) as often as we can.
    I'm sorry Harley is running a fever...maybe a warm bath would help to break it?? I'm sorry you aren't feeling well either...hope your hubby comes home soon so that you can get some rest. Take care of yourself.

Crystal-I'm sorry your lil girl didn't win, but congrats on your weight loss.

Hope everyone else is well.

welcome_spring.gif
  • loreeb18
    loreeb18 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Tazzy – Mmm, cupcakes. That is a lot of little kids but they’re fun to watch at that age. We went to our niece’s 3rd birthday party 2 weeks ago and it was fun to watch her excitement over the cake and presents and everything.

Writer – Sorry about the sickies. No fun. Don’t feel bad. Just take care of yourself so you can avoid getting sick too.

Mrsbuzz – I feel you on the weather. Here in western PA, two days ago we had a high of 72. Today it’s in the high 20s. :grumble: You’re stronger than you think. We all give in to cravings now and then. We need to sometimes, just keep from going overboard. I agree on the control. When I keep in my calories, I feel like I’ve accomplished something. Sorry about your son. Don’t feel like a bad mom. It happens.

Abetterme – Sorry about the sick kiddos. No fun. Good job keeping up on the exercise even with all that going on.

Stacey – Sorry the outing was a bust. Enjoy the red wine. :drinker:

Losingit – Good job going to the gym. Good luck with whatever happens with you maybe moving to Florida.

Mossmommy – Welcome! :flowerforyou: If you need support, you’ve come to the right place. Everybody’s really great. I try to work out when Harley is taking her nap. Or if it’s nice out (We had a couple days of warm weather.) I’ll take Harley for a walk in her stroller.

Orchid – “Just” being a stay-at-home mom sure keeps us busy! I only have one baby and there are still times I think, “It’s 4 o’clock already?! Where did my day go?”

Lenece – I have been having trouble keeping up on here lately. Sorry if you feel you weren’t missed.

Sara – It sounds like you’ve been doing really great getting 3 kids and yourself to the gym lately. I give you points for this. :drinker:

Mrsbuzz – She’s been doing that too. I feel like all I’ve changed the last week or 2 is messy diapers.

Mossmommy – Harley isn’t fussy or anything yet. Just the drooling, little fever, and boogies. *gag* So I’m holding off on giving any medicine yet. But we have baby Tylenol in case she needs it. I’ve never given her water. Do you just feed plain water in a bottle? I can’t wait to see her first tooth but I’ll also miss her giving me that big gummy toothless grin. :cry:

Mom2ss – Welcome. It is nice to have support. I’m not a part of any kind of moms group IRL but I know I can come on here and vent about mommy stuff knowing somebody will understand.
  • musicmom04
    musicmom04 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Welcome newbies!!!

Well I am extremely tired this morning. My oldest woke up a lot last night and he is 6. He is struggling with going #2 and is kind of miserable right now. Plus I am feel like the worst mom in the world. He has struggled with this since he was like 1 and the doctor put him on miralax for about 2 years now or so. This week has been kind of crazy and I got off schedule and forgot a lot of doses. I feel so guilty that he is going through this. I keep telling him that needs to eat more fruit, veggies, and drink more water. to help, but he is 6 and I am the mom and need to be more forceful but not sure how. He doesn't like a lot of things so its hard to get him to eat extremely healthy. Sorry to go on and on, just wanted to say hello and try to stay in touch with everyone so I can get more motivated to do this. I did great yesterday until lunch and then it went down hill. Maybe our next thread should be about great low calorie recipes. I am just stumped when it comes to food and trying to incorporate that in my meals.

Hope everyone has a great day.:flowerforyou:
    Jules

my 5 year old niece has a problem with #2, too. she holds it for so long she usually ends up having an accident in her pants. my sister doesn't know what to do. the doctor told her to give her a kids' laxative to get her to go, but i don't think it's helping very much.
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Lyn_Matthews Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to share a coupon/code for Diapers.com with all of you. You can save 10 dollars off your first order and get FREE SHIPPING. Just enter the code DREV3909 at check out.

Hope this will help some of you busy moms! They also have a "first timers" special going on right now see the website for details ( I don't remember what it is)...

ALSO...If you order $40 worth of diapers, you can save 10% on anything else..sippy cups, clothes, shampoo etc...used code SAVE10PCT.
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Melinda--

how do you find time to work out? i only have one little one i have to chase around and its hard to get some time when i'm not cleaning or doing laundry to get in work outs. i usually have to wait until my hubby gets home so he can watch her while i run.

any advice or quick workout tips?
    Honestly naps are my huge blessing. After lunch, everyone goes down for a nap. When Hubby was home that WAS my clean time, but now I use that time to exercise. I have tried after morning cartoons. I set a time to cut the TV off and tell the boys to play, usually the oldest will stick around and try to "exer-tickle-size" with me.:laugh: And I have tried after I put the boys down for bed, 8:00pm. That works really well if I want to go to the gym, but not so well for...spouse time, so it had to go. Otherwise I was the half-asleep zombie, that Hubby wanted to cuddle with, no fun.

As far as changing my cleaning schedule to facilitate exercising. I found out the kids are still little enough to want to help. So I do that after nap (which leaves me plenty of time to shower before they wake). Each mobile child gets a feather duster, while I run the vaccuum. They still think it's fun. Yay for me:blushing:

I save the weekly cleaning stuff for my day off from exercise. I won't exercise on the same day I scrub bathrooms or shovel tons of snow off the driveway, that's exercise enough.:laugh:
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    jules--try stool softener (generic ok), just colace. not pericolace. it's basically mineral oil in a pill to lube things up. my oldest is a poopy prob kid too.
    i've also been told warm apple juice before bed can be helpful. pear juice is another one.
    a warm bath might help ease discomfort.
    don't feel guilty!! this is just being a mom--sometimes we get things right, and sometimes not. it will be that way forever. it's not like he's a diabetic and you deliberately skipped insulin shots for days on end! it's just poop. :tongue:

quote from another mom in redbook: "When my world is crumbling and i feel like things are out of my control or I've made a big mistake, I think, JUST DO THE NEXT RIGHT THING. I can't change what's happened, but one bad mistake on top of another never fixes anything. Remembering to "just do the next right thing" keeps me on track."

This is to encourage you from your unsuccessful lunch. I use this in my head all the time now. That way, one bad choice doesn't snowball.
    so...to a good day all! :flowerforyou:
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options

welcome, melinda. i've seen you on other threads, glad you found us. this is a great group! also, i think there is another mommy up in alaska--maybe post to find her. i obviously have no idea whether she lives near you or not, but it might be worth a shot. glad to have you around--:flowerforyou:
    Yeah, MissReesa, we're friends...she lives quite a ways away though.:grumble:
    She's a military wife too, so we have lots in common.:wink:
  • mrsbuzz
    Options
    Thanks for everyones support. I truly realize I need you all, not just for motivation but for mommy support. thanks.:flowerforyou:

I will see how Trey is doing when he gets home from school. I so hope he will go soon.

Today so far I have had breakfast, mid snack, lunch and all were around 200 calories. I made a wrap for lunch which was yummy, but could use something. It was a wheat tortilla, 4 slices of hillshire farm deli ham, baby spinach, and laughing cow garlic and herb cheese wedge. It's pretty tasty and it was 225 calories. I need find the la tortilla's that are like 45 calories, my tortilla are 130 calories. Well I love laughing cow, have had cracker with the french onion for a snack. I am addicted lol.

Take Care:heart:
    jules
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    hi crystal--sorry maeve didn't win. the $ would've been nice. but she is still a #1 cutie!

welcome, deb! this is a great thread/group so i look forward to having you join in the fun!

jules--i understand what you're saying. i thought i was doing ok with irl mom friends (had some but they moved--Air Force--and another went back to school), so it's really nice to be able to come here. When we move back to Salt Lake (sooner than later i hope), i'll have my circle of girls who i treasure so much. :heart:
    but lucky for me--i found you all too.

btw--didn't have the wine--just frosted flakes reduced sugar for dinner. :tongue:

just wanted to share a HAPPY--i used my HRM for the first time today. convinced myself to do the dvd (just 10 minutes i said) and then did the whole thing with the cardio part 2x! rock on! i so needed to burn those calories b/c of overages on other days. and now, i feel POWERFUL! hi-yah!! as we say here. :laugh: :laugh:
    off to wake the baby and take a shower. i leave the girls doing their own thing--just ignoring the mischief they're probably making.
    have a great evening all! :heart:
  • writer4him
    writer4him Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow moms!

I am at the three-week point - the point where, every other time I tried to lose weight and get into better shape, I got discouraged and QUIT! I have to admit, I am getting discouraged, but I am NOT going to quit. I've lost five pounds, which I know is more than the pound-a-week goal, but this week the scale did not budge and in fact, went up a little (not enough to make it a whole pound up, thankfully). I have exercised more in the past 8 days than I have in years, even surprised myself by being able to keep a sustained jog for two miles, four days in a row. I have been afraid to eat my exercise calories and I think this is part of my downfall. It's hard for me to believe that I will lose weight by eating MORE, but I have to try it. I also know that I've been staying within my calorie range but also eating a lot of the wrong things (like Pizza Hut last night for example), but it is so hard when you have functions planned (last night - took my junior high girls Bible study group out) and you have to work around them! Anyway, I am whining but I hope someone else out there had this problem and increased their calories and it worked because I am skeptical!
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Melinda--

how do you find time to work out? i only have one little one i have to chase around and its hard to get some time when i'm not cleaning or doing laundry to get in work outs. i usually have to wait until my hubby gets home so he can watch her while i run.

any advice or quick workout tips?

Good morning all...
    Had to chime in with my ultimate workout secret for the SAHM with a husband who is always gone, busy, deployed etc :wink: Baby wrap or backpack! My son and I have gone on daily walks, weather permitting, for most of his life with a Moby wrap up until about a year, now a hiking pack. I put the kid in the pack, hook up the two dogs and we all get some fresh air. And TX ladies, hurry up and get the fresh air before it gets to stinkin hot! I lived in TX for a few years and working out outdoors in the summer would have killed me! But the walking with the baby pack is great, it burns more calories than just a regular walk when you are packing an extra 20-30 pounds. Or if you are a runner, get a jogging stroller. I have had to come up with original ways to workout, hubby is army and if I waited for him to get my exercise, it might never happen! Well his majesty is up and calling..better scoot!
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow moms!

I am at the three-week point - the point where, every other time I tried to lose weight and get into better shape, I got discouraged and QUIT! I have to admit, I am getting discouraged, but I am NOT going to quit. I've lost five pounds, which I know is more than the pound-a-week goal, but this week the scale did not budge and in fact, went up a little (not enough to make it a whole pound up, thankfully). I have exercised more in the past 8 days than I have in years, even surprised myself by being able to keep a sustained jog for two miles, four days in a row. I have been afraid to eat my exercise calories and I think this is part of my downfall. It's hard for me to believe that I will lose weight by eating MORE, but I have to try it. I also know that I've been staying within my calorie range but also eating a lot of the wrong things (like Pizza Hut last night for example), but it is so hard when you have functions planned (last night - took my junior high girls Bible study group out) and you have to work around them! Anyway, I am whining but I hope someone else out there had this problem and increased their calories and it worked because I am skeptical!

Pizza, no matter how little I eat, always sends my scale up for a few days b/c of all the sodium. PLUS, not to get TMI on here, but 3 weeks in is close to month...and well, TOM screws with the scale, too. SO, if you're due for TOM, that might be why the scale creeped up. That's why I think so many women give up the first month of trying to lose weight. They do so good for a couple weeks, then TOM hits & they think all is lost. Don't give up! You can do it!
  • writer4him
    writer4him Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thanks (Stacy, I think! I am so bad with names!)

I am just ending TOM - it was all this week. I couldn't figure out if it was supposed to get better now that it's just about over, but it seems like it is getting worse, so hopefully it is just the pizza!