parent versus school

Options
14567810»

Replies

• Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    They'd rather put something that's been sitting in the lost and found on your son? Who knows how long its been there or if it was even clean? Ewww. That's unsanitary. They should have kept him inside as per your request.

My 13 year old son learned the hard way back when it first got cold here. I told him it was quite cool and to wear his coat. He said "I'll be fine." Mind you, I was on my way out the door for work... Anyway, he texted me when he got to the bus stop saying he was cold. I asked if he had his coat and he said "No, I thought I would be ok without it". Needless to say,he has worn his coat AND a hat everyday since.

Kids aren't crazy or stupid. They learn quickly when something directly affects them.

If I were you, I'd meet with the teacher who called you and then went against your wishes. She underminded your authority as a parent. If YOU did the sameto HER you can best believe she would call for a parent teacher conference.

Good luck!
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I agree with you about not taking him a coat, but I'm not sure the school is wrong to let him borrow one to go outside. They may not have the staff to leave a child inside.

I do have a question though, if you thought he was going to be wearing a coat to and from school, why was it so important for him to wear a long-sleeved shirt instead of a short-sleeved one?

good question. lol. we have a house rule that if there is frost on the car in the morning, they have to wear a long-sleeve shirt. it's not negotiable. plus, we reminded them last night when they laid out their clothes that they would need long sleeve shirts today. he didn't listen. the coat rule is 'wear it or carry it'. i don't care if they don't wear it to or from school, but they do need to bring it, in case they need it. 90% of the time, they choose to carry it.

I basically have the same rule. My son wears long sleeves when its below 60 degrees as a high. He is out by 8am so usually its in the 30's 40's or 50's at that hour. He catches the bus, which is seldom on time. Long sleeves provide an extra layer of warmth on those chilly mornings. For us short sleeves and a coat just doesn't cut it. If for some reason there was an emergency (fire drill, etc.) and he wore short sleeves and didn't have a chance to grab his coat before exiting, he would be cold. If you have a long sleeve shirt at least thats some level of protection. It could also be something as simple as the heat not working in the class... he would be cold.

Anyway, I know this all worked out with him using his brother's hoodie. Kudos to his brother! My parents always taught me to be prepared. Having it and not needing it is better than needing it and not having it.
  • HerbieSue
    HerbieSue Posts: 288
    Options
    I do have bad news, though, when they are in their 20's they still do stupid stuff and forget things and call you for them.

........................and beyond!!! A parent's job is never-ending!:smile:
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    BTW looking at your profile pic....i cant believe you have a child old enough for school!!! :)

ah wow, what a nice thing to say!! thanks! :)