Options

Replies

• Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I started lifting a few weeks ago (Olympic barbell set for Christmas). I'm 41 years old, 191 pounds, with no experience and no spotter, so I haven't attempted to bench more than 130.

I read somewhere (I think it was Lou Shuler) that for just building size it was better to bench more reps of less weight... 55-65% of 1RM for 5x10. That felt too low at 50 reps, so right now I'm doing 80 pounds at 100 reps, with a little breather after each 10. From my starting 55% level I've been microloading by 5 lbs whenever I felt like 100 reps wasn't really pushing me enough.

I think that based on what I've read here I won't try to compete with any of you for biggest lifts. No, not even the women. :ohwell: I have no injuries, and I think a great physique and endurance strength is what I'm really after.

Thanks for this thread.
    Putting on mass takes a couple of things: calorie surplus (with a lot of it being protein since muscle can't be attained with carbs and fat) and forcing the muscle into hypertrophy. The consensus for reps is in the 8-12 range with volume of 4-6 sets. Learning how to contract the muscle through the concentric movement and stay in control in the eccentric takes practice and will help to achieve hypertrophy. Eccentric contractions are very important since you can handle a higher load than you can on concentric movement and eccentric is responsible for muscle breakdown which results in DOMS in many people who first start. Get adequate rest and ensure that you keep protein high.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

O you must be from columbia!
    I got up 1 kilo bro. wink wink

kidding of course,nice work
  • Ambrogio1
    Options
    Question for the Commentariat: When benching I usually keep my pinkie fingers on the ring which, for someone with long arms, doesn't allow me to get the range of motion that top benchers get. Part of my 2012 fitness resolution is to work my way into a wider bench position, index fingers over the rings, and bring the bar down more onto my breastbone in a powerlifting style bench. Question is... has anyone made a similar change to their technique and noticed how unstable the bar feels? How long did it take for the motion to feel comfortable?

Obviously I'm making a change in my motion after 13 years of lifting the same way and it will feel awkward. I'm starting out with higher reps (315 for 10-12) until I start to feel comfortable with the movement but already feel that once I'm more comfortable I'll be able to move some big weights and possibly hit my dream of 495.

Everyone is diff. for sure. But white knuckles is White KNUCKLES!!!

Traditional grip with all fingers wrapped is what most of the Forefahters of the industry say.
    Mike MEntzer I think had a great statement one tome.I use to pull my thumb around (you know what I mean right?)
    Then he had someone grab his wrist with that grip, he pulled right out of it when he pulled away
    Then Traditional grip he could not pull from.

From that pt on to be it just made sense to not get cute and just go with what works.
    Now this is from a 5 gt 8 stubby guy with short arms! lol
    Do you bro
  • Ambrogio1
    Options
    I have only recently gotten to 135 lbs. which is almost to 50% of my BW. According to http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/records/raw-bench-press the record for unequipped bench press is over 715 pounds with a bodyweight of 314 pounds which is over 2.25% bodyweight. I'd say an elite athlete would be benching 1.8% or more probably.

Video of the record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UubgCvg2sE

Well thanks for nothing! Now my new goal is 2.25% of my BW! DAMN YOU! I was shotting for 2x

The 135 milestone is a great achievement! I remember it like yesterday, Huge benching milestones
    135 for first time
    185 for first time
    205 for first time
    225 for first time
    300 for first time
    315 for first time
    Anything after that makes me tickled pink but 350 will be my next big milestone

O yeah that took me 15 yrs! LOL
  • davepavone
    Options
    Whole rack of ribs with two pork butts. Before breakfast. I am just happy to be in the gym dont care what my max is anymore. When I was allot younger I did care
  • eayal002
    eayal002 Posts: 186
    Options
    someone suggested to me to do some sets with a reverse grip, I haven't tried it yet have a picture in my head of the bar slipping right out of the grip and landing on my neck for some reason. Anyone do this on regular basis? Is it worth doing?
  • Ambrogio1
    Options
    Whole rack of ribs with two pork butts. Before breakfast. I am just happy to be in the gym dont care what my max is anymore. When I was allot younger I did care

WTF!!! Did you really just post that! I almost tried to eat my screen. That sounds so damn good!! And the fact that you havae a BBQ avatar is making me think your a master chef. O man. Im mid fast and in post workout recovery right now and damn you got me hungry now
  • Ambrogio1
    Options
    someone suggested to me to do some sets with a reverse grip, I haven't tried it yet have a picture in my head of the bar slipping right out of the grip and landing on my neck for some reason. Anyone do this on regular basis? Is it worth doing?

I have not done that in a very long time. Obviously you go lighter
    Maybe wrist wraps can eleviate that anxiety?
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I have only recently gotten to 135 lbs. which is almost to 50% of my BW. According to http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/records/raw-bench-press the record for unequipped bench press is over 715 pounds with a bodyweight of 314 pounds which is over 2.25% bodyweight. I'd say an elite athlete would be benching 1.8% or more probably.

Video of the record.

Chris Confesore(spelling?) actually triple his body weight back in the day. He weighed 235 with a 730 lb. bench. He did wear a blast shirt and was at a bench meet. He was short with short arms so really didn't have to go to far. I've always gauged by 100 pound increments for status 12 years ago. If you were in the gym a good many could do 315, 405 not so many, at 500+. just a couple and even less at double body weight. My lifts were with a belt and some chalk on my hands. I did it to see how much I could do and how far my strength would take me.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options

Anthony Clark was the first to compete with reverse grip bench, last time I checked was 800+ bench.
  • rdzilla
    rdzilla Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Question for the Commentariat: When benching I usually keep my pinkie fingers on the ring which, for someone with long arms, doesn't allow me to get the range of motion that top benchers get. Part of my 2012 fitness resolution is to work my way into a wider bench position, index fingers over the rings, and bring the bar down more onto my breastbone in a powerlifting style bench. Question is... has anyone made a similar change to their technique and noticed how unstable the bar feels? How long did it take for the motion to feel comfortable?

Obviously I'm making a change in my motion after 13 years of lifting the same way and it will feel awkward. I'm starting out with higher reps (315 for 10-12) until I start to feel comfortable with the movement but already feel that once I'm more comfortable I'll be able to move some big weights and possibly hit my dream of 495.

Everyone is diff. for sure. But white knuckles is White KNUCKLES!!!

Traditional grip with all fingers wrapped is what most of the Forefahters of the industry say.
    Mike MEntzer I think had a great statement one tome.I use to pull my thumb around (you know what I mean right?)
    Then he had someone grab his wrist with that grip, he pulled right out of it when he pulled away
    Then Traditional grip he could not pull from.

From that pt on to be it just made sense to not get cute and just go with what works.
    Now this is from a 5 gt 8 stubby guy with short arms! lol
    Do you bro

I've only ever been a fan of a close handed grip when benching and, at times, I only concentrate on white knuckles! Position -> Grip -> Rip. Don't give the weight time to psych you out. Specially when doing dumbells. The harder I squeeze.... the weights just magically move!
  • rdzilla
    Options

Scoot yourself back on the bench further to unrack and bring the bar down closer to your sternum. Most people end up going too heavy with bad form and end up straining their shoulders. My general opinion is to just avoid it.
  • Ambrogio1
    Options
    This Thread is like the gift that keeps on giving!
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    In my fittest I weighed 273 pounds, benched 435, inclined 390, squatted 560, deadlifted 600+ a few times, cleaned 325 and could still get a sub-30 minute 5k on a treadmill. Do I think any of those are elite? No. When considering I was 273 pounds I consider it even less elite. Go on youtube and you'll see people doing 600+ benches and 800+ deads completely raw and with perfect form who weigh 250 pounds. Sometimes genetics come into play and you can't get any stronger. 38 inch long arms and short legs make me great at deadlifting but crappy at flat bench.

In today's gym, I consider anyone actually doing squats elite! Seriously though people with good form, trying to improve their lifts and looking for guidance is OK in my book. We're there to get stronger and improve our bodies. I am completely against the meathead mentality and won't hesitate to call them out on it.

Love that second paragraph. I hardly ever see men doing any squats or deads in the gym. I'm a female, and for me to be one of the only ones doing these lifts is ridiculous. Some of these guys need to stop working chest everyday of the week and get in the squat rack...WITHOUT the p****y pad.
  • kingkong123
    kingkong123 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Weigh about 190 - I was lifting basically to lose weight for like 8 months. Couple weeks on 1 or 2 off. Get real motivated then only go once a week for a couple weeks. Kind of a joke that I even got mad I wasn't getting a lot stronger.

Anyway - In about 3.5 weeks of serious lifting I've jumped from 205 for 2 reps to 225 for 5.

Squat - 315 X 5-6
    Deadlift - 315 X 2

In these last few weeks, my squat quickly jumped my deadlift. I'm thinking that I start too low...I saw someone mention that. I'm DLing tomorrow. I'll try starting with my hips higher.
  • Ambrogio1
    Options
    DEADS ARE NASTY! THE KING EXERCISE

DEADS vs SQUATS would be a nasty *kitten* fight!
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    DEADS ARE NASTY! THE KING EXERCISE

DEADS vs SQUATS would be a nasty *kitten* fight!

Okay start another thread about deads and squats. I know ask the question: How many people do stiff leg deadlifts off of a box. Oh yeah thats pain.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options

Video of the record.

Actually I was more impressed by the first person on the list. 3.51 X his body weight is unheard of.

ALL TIME HISTORICAL MEN’S UNEQUIPPED BENCH PRESS WORLD RECORDS IN POUNDS/KILOGRAMS

Men Bench Press X-Bwt Male Lifter/ Nationality/ YOB/ Date/ Actual Weight/ Exact Bodyweight/ Location/ Federation
    114 (52) 391.3 (177.5) *3.51X Andrzej Stanaszek (Poland/71) 11/18/94 (177.5 kg. @ 50.6 kg.) (Johannesburg, South Africa) (IPF)
    123 (56) 391.3 (177.5) *3.23X Mike Booker (US/81) 6/21/03 (177.5 kg. @ 121.0 lb.) (Vista, California) (AAU)
    132 (60) 410.0 (186.0) *3.13X Rick “Taz” Couch (US) 11/20/93 (410.0 lb. @ 131.0 lb.) (Thousand Oaks, California) (APA/WPA/UBPF)
    148 (67.5) 435.0 (197.3) *3.02X Alex Poku (US/68) 1/13/90 (435.0 lb. @ 144.25 lb.) (White River Junction, Vermont) (APA/WPA)
    165 (75) 485.0 (220.0) *2.94X Rick Weil (US/58) 7/23/83 (220.0 kg. @ 74.9 kg.) (Austin, Texas) (USPF)
    181 (82.5) 556.7 (252.5) *3.06X Rick Weil (US/58) 6/29/86 (252.5 kg. @ 82.4 kg. Heaviest unequipped triple bodyweight bench press of all time.) (Dayton, Ohio) (APF/WPC)
    198 (90) 565.0 (256.3) *2.96X Larry Danaher (US) 10/4/86 (565.0 lb. @ 191 lb.) (Indianapolis, Indiana) (USPF/APF)
    220 (100) 582.0 (264.0) *2.68X Mike MacDonald (US/48) 5/19/79 (580.0 lb. @ 217.0 lb., which later weighed out at 582.0 lb.) (Minneapolis, Minnesota) (USPF)
    242 (110) 615.0 (279.0) *2.56X Jeremy Hoornstra (US/81) 9/29/06 (615.0 lb. @ 240.0 lb.) (Las Vegas, Nevada) (WPO)
    275 (125) 661.4 (300.0) *2.40X Laszlo Meszaros (Hungary/68) 10/4/09 (300.0 kg. @ 125.0 kg.) (Rostov-on-Don, Russia) (WPC)
    308 (140) 701.1 (318.0) *2.28X Scot Mendelson (US/69) 10/12/02 (318.0 kg. @ 308.0 lb.) (San Francisco, California) (APF)
    SHW 715.0 (324.3) *2.28X Scot Mendelson (US/69) 5/22/05 (715.0 lb. @ 314.0 lb. Highest bench press of all time without a bench press shirt.) (Worcester, Massachusetts) (Atlantis)
  • rdzilla
    Options
    Actually I was more impressed by the first person on the list. 3.51 X his body weight is unheard of.

ALL TIME HISTORICAL MEN’S UNEQUIPPED BENCH PRESS WORLD RECORDS IN POUNDS/KILOGRAMS

Men Bench Press X-Bwt Male Lifter/ Nationality/ YOB/ Date/ Actual Weight/ Exact Bodyweight/ Location/ Federation
    114 (52) 391.3 (177.5) *3.51X Andrzej Stanaszek (Poland/71) 11/18/94 (177.5 kg. @ 50.6 kg.) (Johannesburg, South Africa) (IPF)

Have you seen him? He is a midget / small person / dwarf. Range of motion FTW!
  • Alysia1119
    Options
    i am 150# ...well i have not done much for bench press but i did 70 when i did, can squat 150 deadlift about 140....would like to up those numbers a bit....but have not done any of them much...