Teacher Criticisms...(rant)

Options

Replies

• iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    It's not so black and white. There is so much wrong on so many levels. SO many parents don't do their part, and So many teachers don't do there's. I'm in and out of different classrooms every day, I see many excellent teachers, and I see many horrible teachers.
    To me, it's not really a matter of who's to blame. The fact is that as a nation, we are failing our students. And something different needs to be done.

I have two graduated, one graduates this year and one next year. If I had to do it again, no way in hell would my kids be in this school system.

This is very true. That's why I, as a teacher, support merit-based pay.

I support it, but it needs to be based on more than just test scores or no one will teach in the low performing districts. Why would I want to stay in a place where the kids are 3 levels behind and never get a raise because I only caught them up to where they should have been at the beginning of the year.
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I taught drama at a Christian Jr/Sr high school and because of that, even though I'm not certified, when I lived in Utah, it somehow qualified me to be a substitute teacher in their public school system. I have no idea how that worked. Anyway, I substituted twice in an English class at the public Jr. High school. From my personal experience and from talking to friends who have taught or are currently teaching..Teachers do NOT make enough. They should get hazardous duty pay.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    This is simply my opinion and you can disagree all you like, but PUH-LEASE! You can chose to make your day as easy or as difficult as you like. If you care about your students, you're going to have a more packed day, if you choose to sit back and relax, your day is going to be a breeze. I've had good teachers, and bad teachers but seriously, the job cannot be as bad as you're all making it out to seem. You get weekends off, multiple weeks throughout the year off, plus 2 months during the summer off. Give me a break, if your job is that difficult or you're not enjoying it (not saying you guys don't) then find a job where you do enjoy yourself. Teachers should be prepared for the work load, and love children. If you're not and you don't, then keep flipping through the book of careers till you find something you like. My sister-in-law is a fourth grade teacher and all she does is complain about how the students shouldn't be in the class or are acting like brats... blah blah blah... I just want to tell her to find a job where she'll actually care about it. If you're just going to complain all day about things at your job then move on.
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I don't currently teach (I'm a school psych), but I work with a ton of them. Yes, we have a few clunkers. But I work with some of the most passionate, inspiring educators I have ever met. Besides the energy and caring they pour into their students, the sheer number of hours outside of the school building that they spend doing lesson plans, LFS stuff, and a million other things that I have no idea about is staggering. They work with, in any random class, 25 kids ranging from cogniitvely impaired to gifted, and are expected to meet each and every academic need. And many of my colleagues do a beautiful job of it.

Most make a fraction of the money that their college educated friends make, but rarely complain.

It's a damned thankless job many days. And reading the initial post just makes me sigh.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher in an inner city school.

It's rough. I can't motivate these kids for crap. But they learn. And I love them. I've been here 11 years.

Merit pay? That's a load of ****e. Teachers will cheat...it's already happening.

I teach my kids the best I can. If they don't want to learn, that falls on them. But merit pay is stupid. I just want to teach. I hate the politics of it.

No one ever blames the parents! Oh noooo! Not the parents! It's all put on the teachers. Hey, I didn't pop this kid out of my body...I'm just trying to teach him fractions. Oh, Johnny can't read in the 5th grade? That is NOT my fault. Where are the parents? Sitting at home, on the phone. Yea. It's not the parents' fault though.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    i just saw on another post the mention of teachers 'snivelling' for more money when they are not getting results. this kind of thing burns just burns me up.

i can't stand it when people who have never stuck a toe in the education field go on about how teachers are lazy, get paid for nothing in the summer, and are only babysitting anyways, so how hard can it really be?

then you have the people who want to run education like a business, and if you don't get the results, you don't get the pay. if education was a business, teachers could fire and hire the students based on their performance. but no. we don't get that option.

we teach *everyone*, no matter what. even if they only show up to school once a week. even if their parents cuss us out on the phone and tell us that *their* child is *our* problem when they are at school. even if a student consistently refuses to lift a finger because they just do not care. and we are still held accountable for a student's testing scores even if they were expelled from school for 150 days out of 180.

there are always going to be teachers who drop the ball and don't do their part, but the majority of us never give up on those students who have already given up on themselves. we keep hoping that one day they might open their book, write something down and learn something.

boo to people that criticize the general educator populace without ever having taught. if you haven't stood in front of a class of 20 to 30 students and taught, you really have no idea. :grumble:
    My wife taught school for 2 years, then gave up in frustration faced with the entitlement mentality rampant in education, including the endless sniveling.

Today, she makes a 6 figure income and is very successful but regrets not being able to have made more of a difference as a teacher. Our education system needs more real business people and less career teachers, and maybe a results oriented system could demand the kind of pay worthy of a real profession.

As things stand teachers still get paid peanuts, but my wife is compensated for what she is worth.

rant over.....:smokin:
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I've taught preschool before, alot of people say that isnt really teaching and is easy work, but I'd to see them try to round up 10-15 3-5 adhd hyperactive kids on their own THEN call it easy work.
    i can barely handle one pre school aged child, let only 15 pre school aged kids! And I don't have the patience for 30 any aged school children. Hell, I barely have the patience for adults lol.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    This is simply my opinion and you can disagree all you like, but PUH-LEASE! You can chose to make your day as easy or as difficult as you like. If you care about your students, you're going to have a more packed day, if you choose to sit back and relax, your day is going to be a breeze. I've had good teachers, and bad teachers but seriously, the job cannot be as bad as you're all making it out to seem. You get weekends off, multiple weeks throughout the year off, plus 2 months during the summer off. Give me a break, if your job is that difficult or you're not enjoying it (not saying you guys don't) then find a job where you do enjoy yourself. Teachers should be prepared for the work load, and love children. If you're not and you don't, then keep flipping through the book of careers till you find something you like. My sister-in-law is a fourth grade teacher and all she does is complain about how the students shouldn't be in the class or are acting like brats... blah blah blah... I just want to tell her to find a job where she'll actually care about it. If you're just going to complain all day about things at your job then move on.

I wish I had the weekends off. I spend time grading and doing lesson plans on the weekends, as well as other teaching related things like attending games and academic events of my students.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I agree here too. There are a lot of people who become teachers just because the college is paid for. You have to be passionate about it or don't waste your time.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    The average national salary for teachers in the U.S. is $49,720. That's a decent salary.

I'm personally kind of tired of the rhetoric myself. I hate to be "that guy", but Teaching is something you need to have a calling to or a love of. A large majority of teachers fit into that category, but there are those that saw teaching as a profession where you get 3 months off each year.

I am tired of every time they want to raise our taxes, the "Save the Children" , "Educate or Future" banners are thrown up.Personally, I spent as much time teaching my daughter's as they got in school. I have spent a fortune on schoolbooks, supplies and events.

I salute those teachers that make a difference in our children's life, but I have no use for the politics. If they are not happy, choose another profession.

Go ahead. Beat me up.
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :heart: :heart: :drinker:
  • FitFi74
    FitFi74 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I don't think that any of the teachers on here have complained about their jobs- just other people's perceptions and criticisms of it! I for one care a lot about my students and I work bloody hard - yes it's stressful but yes I enjoy it! What I don't enjoy is the flippant "you finish at 3.30" "you're always on holiday" comments! They are unfair and ill informed!
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    But I think parents are to blame also. Expecting your child to be raised by your teacher is a crime. It is truly sad when the ONLY attention a child receives is from their teacher. Neglect means this poor kid is already starting in a hole and a teacher is forced to play catch up.
    The teaching system needs to be revised. Parents attitudes need to be revised. The union needs to be axed.
  • MissGatekeeper
    Options
    I admire good teachers. I once wanted to be one myself, but through my own education I realised that if half of the students were even close to being like the ones I went to school with... If only half the parents were like the majority of the parents of my class... Well, I'd probably not be able to define myself as a pacifist for very long. Many of my relatives are teachers. I see them genuinly care for their students, spending late evenings grading tests, looking at new ways to make their students interested. I admire good teachers. I know I'd be a bad one.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think something that would make me happy is some kind of change in the tenure system, though I don't know what. When I was in school, I had some EXCELLENT teachers and some who did nothing but hand out worksheets, turn on movies and sit behind their desks all day. It's not right that neither could get fired and both got pay raises at the same rate.

But then tenure protects good teachers who work to better the system by bucking the establishment, so I don't know what the silution is.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    I don't think that any of the teachers on here have complained about their jobs- just other people's perceptions and criticisms of it! I for one care a lot about my students and I work bloody hard - yes it's stressful but yes I enjoy it! What I don't enjoy is the flippant "you finish at 3.30" "you're always on holiday" comments! They are unfair and ill informed!

well said.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    The average national salary for teachers in the U.S. is $49,720. That's a decent salary.

I'm personally kind of tired of the rhetoric myself. I hate to be "that guy", but Teaching is something you need to have a calling to or a love of. A large majority of teachers fit into that category, but there are those that saw teaching as a profession where you get 3 months off each year.

I am tired of every time they want to raise our taxes, the "Save the Children" , "Educate or Future" banners are thrown up.Personally, I spent as much time teaching my daughter's as they got in school. I have spent a fortune on schoolbooks, supplies and events.

I salute those teachers that make a difference in our children's life, but I have no use for the politics. If they are not happy, choose another profession.

Go ahead. Beat me up.

^^This!
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND (a tragic and stupid piece of legislation that has NOT worked)

^^This ABSOLUTELY!!

When exactly were they going to fix this in Washington again?

It IS being talked about.......................and the more that people protest it, the quicker it will disappear !
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

Exactly
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I have tons of friends that are teachers... it's a 50/50 job... teacher isn't as easy as everyone claims it to be... however the time off somewhat makes up for that. At least they get paid year round now...

the number one teaching myth!

not true.

we don't get paid year round - we have our 10 months salary split over 12 months. teachers's don't get two freebie months of pay, contrary to popular belief.
    True! I have a friend who teaches and i asked her how does that whole summer thing work. But she mentioned that since she teaches summer school too she gets paid for that separate or something