Teacher Criticisms...(rant)

Options

Replies

• veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    My wife taught school for 2 years, then gave up in frustration faced with the entitlement mentality rampant in education, including the endless sniveling.

This is one of the biggest issues in education today, and is also manifesting in college level courses (well, has been for the last several years already). Many parents and students have a great feeling of entitlement. Students want a passing grade for hardly doing anything and an A for doing average.

And for those who like to talk about "bad" teachers - that needs to be defined before some sort of merit pay system can really work (AND educators need to be treated like professionals in order for that to work as well). In my state, the average middle schooler reads at a third grade level. When school materials that are provided are written at a reading level for a certain grade, and a majority of students don't read at that level, what is the teacher supposed to do? Additionally, with higher levels of reading comprehension come higher levels of critical thinking, so teaching students the subject they are supposed to be taught at those levels becomes problematic. Another aspect are schools that serve students from lower socioeconomic backgrounds - typically those students have less support at home and lower reading/comprehension abilities and cannot perform at certain levels on standardized tests (not because they're not fundamentally capable, but because of an accumulation of things over the years). Then, you have a classroom with all different levels of abilities. The slowest and the fastest get left behind because things have to be taught for the majority - there just aren't enough hours in the day to vary lessons for all levels. It's a shame, but there are things all over that need to be fixed.

EVERYONE needs to take responsibility. Parents need to support at home - make their kids sit down and do homework, read with them to improve their skills, hold students accountable for their own actions (refusal to do homework or classwork, bullying, etc), hold teachers accountable if they provide all kinds of free time or do not give homework, and hold administration accountable for supporting teachers when they need to discipline.

This is a societal and cultural issue, not solely an educational system/teacher issue.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    They're too busy trying to "fix" our healthcare system.
    My first shudder of the day.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    I would love to know what the hours are that some of you who are teachers I hear a lot of people talk about how they are criticized for their day ending at 3:30pm when does your day officially start?

The kids start coming in at 7:30. I arrive at 6:30 on most days, to make sure I am adequately prepared. Usually leave about 4:30. I don't get a lunch break. I eat with my kids. Do you work 10 hours without a break?

ETA: I forgot to add the hours I spend grading things at home in the evenings, and on weekends, and the hours I spend crying because of the way I see parents treat their kids.
    Not every job offers to pay your masters program I know mine didn't.

This is misinformation, at least in my state. The government (my "boss") did not pay for my degree. I did.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I would love to know what the hours are that some of you who are teachers I hear a lot of people talk about how they are criticized for their day ending at 3:30pm when does your day officially start? I know for one that my son's school the teachers do not arrive until 8am since school doesn't start until 9:00am. We can go around on this topic for hours but everyone can argue their job is stressful with no thanks at the end of it. Not every job offers to pay your masters program I know mine didn't. I also hear a lot of generalization about parents. Not every parent is uninvolved with their children. Just because a parent can't be at the school in the middle of the day on a teachers whim does not mean they are uninvolved. Their will always be children with behavior problems but that is part of the job.

Offically, my day starts at 7 am. I get to work about 6:30 in order to be able to get ready for the little people that will walk through my door at 7:15.
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I would love to know what the hours are that some of you who are teachers I hear a lot of people talk about how they are criticized for their day ending at 3:30pm when does your day officially start? I know for one that my son's school the teachers do not arrive until 8am since school doesn't start until 9:00am. We can go around on this topic for hours but everyone can argue their job is stressful with no thanks at the end of it. Not every job offers to pay your masters program I know mine didn't. I also hear a lot of generalization about parents. Not every parent is uninvolved with their children. Just because a parent can't be at the school in the middle of the day on a teachers whim does not mean they are uninvolved. Their will always be children with behavior problems but that is part of the job.

My husband is at school no later than 7am every day. He doesn't get home until after 5pm every day. AND, he spends time every evening and on the weekends working on lesson plans and grading work. While not every parent is uninvolved or difficult, it only takes a few to cause severe problems and major stress.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    This is simply my opinion and you can disagree all you like, but PUH-LEASE! You can chose to make your day as easy or as difficult as you like. If you care about your students, you're going to have a more packed day, if you choose to sit back and relax, your day is going to be a breeze. I've had good teachers, and bad teachers but seriously, the job cannot be as bad as you're all making it out to seem. You get weekends off, multiple weeks throughout the year off, plus 2 months during the summer off. Give me a break, if your job is that difficult or you're not enjoying it (not saying you guys don't) then find a job where you do enjoy yourself. Teachers should be prepared for the work load, and love children. If you're not and you don't, then keep flipping through the book of careers till you find something you like. My sister-in-law is a fourth grade teacher and all she does is complain about how the students shouldn't be in the class or are acting like brats... blah blah blah... I just want to tell her to find a job where she'll actually care about it. If you're just going to complain all day about things at your job then move on.

No body here is saying they don't like their job. They are saying it is hard work. I work in a school for naughty boys. You say we can sit back and relax when You work in a school what do you think those students will be doing while i kickback with my feet up. I work in a school for children who would be beating each other to a pulp using anything they could get there hands on. I get swore at every single day sometime I have to seperate 2 15-16 year old boys from fighting and get caught in the cross fire. If our teachers kicked back and relaxed while in the class room 95% of our students would be in jail by the end of the week for ABH the only reason these lads stay out of jail is because us teachers show them the positive side and that someone cares. Over 50% of our students have tags on.

You clearly misunderstood my post. Read the brackets, and I said "not saying you guys don't." Read it again, and I said, "If you care about your students, you're going to have a more packed day, if you choose to sit back and relax, your day is going to be a breeze" Meaning, those that care are going to have a stressful day, ergo, if your day is stressful, it proves you care.
  • loopybec2002
    loopybec2002 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    What parents forget is that YOU decided to have these children and if you didn't want to have to look after YOUR child for all of the school holidays YOU shouldn't have had them. My mum is also a teacher and growning up every evening she would spend time helping me with MY homework and then would start on the work for the 20 or so children she teachs throughout the day.

If I could have 4 weeks holiday like some of you and take them whenever I want so I don't have to pay HUGE costs because of the school holiday I would be more than happy with that. But on my Teaching Assitant wages I cannot afford to go on holiday when I am off school because the price is so much.
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    It's not so black and white. There is so much wrong on so many levels. SO many parents don't do their part, and So many teachers don't do there's. I'm in and out of different classrooms every day, I see many excellent teachers, and I see many horrible teachers.
    To me, it's not really a matter of who's to blame. The fact is that as a nation, we are failing our students. And something different needs to be done.

I have two graduated, one graduates this year and one next year. If I had to do it again, no way in hell would my kids be in this school system.

Well said! I think there is a huge gap in the playing field between inner city schools and suburban schools and it shows in the graduation statistics. This is due to many things...1st and foremost I believe that parents don't play a strong enough role in their child's education and upbringing. 2. There are many inner city teachers that are just sick and tired of disrespectful non-caring students that their parents don't discipline or raise properly. 3. I think the schools in the inner city are severely underfunded while the property values in suburbia are much higher therefore have more money for their schools.

My girls went to charter school during their elementary years and then transferred to public middle school where there was demise in their honor roll grades. My youngest attended The Junior Naval Academy in High School and went on to receive a full ride academic scholarship to Truman University, but my oldest daughter never bounced back from the failings of middle school. Yes I was involved in my girls' education, but the school system is broken and many inner city teachers are just fed up and don't care anymore. Why should they when 90% of the kids don't but then my daughter that falls in the 10% doesn't get the education she deserves. :( Its a sad situation but its happening!
  • kwortham
    kwortham Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have tons of friends that are teachers... it's a 50/50 job... teacher isn't as easy as everyone claims it to be... however the time off somewhat makes up for that. At least they get paid year round now...

Technically, the pay isn't year round. You just choose to have your salary "spread out" and get less of it during the school year. Or you just get it all during the months you work. So either way, you are getting the same pay.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Before I get attacked, I taught elementary emotional support to put myself through grad school and my husband is a teacher for kids with autism..so it's not like I don't understand. I'm now a school psychologist and work in a school for end of the line kids with behavioral problems. I loved teaching, my husband LOVES his job, and I now love being a school psychologist...I still get punched in the face weekly...so I get it, it's tough. And while I agree full-heartedly that teachers do not get the respect that they deserve, I do not believe that most are underpaid or overworked <---in most situations// Again, I have all the respect in the world ...for MOST teachers.

Teaching should be something that you love to do. I get so angry when I hear teachers tell me that they are not paid enough to deal with *that* kid or spend that much time doing lesson plans. It's your job! If you don't absolutely love working with kids and you are outraged at the salary that you make, you should probably do something else.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I'm not even asking for a raise. :) I made about 33,000 last year (11th year teaching...but had furloughs and the such) and I'm content. I love my job. I can pay my bills. Good enough for me.

At the moment, my school is on lockdown! WOOT! Good ol' lockdown. There's some "activity" in the neighborhood...actually right here outside my window...so we can't leave the building. It's been 2 hours...I finally took my kids to go use the restroom without leaving the building. :)

But...where I teach, it's just sad. There are some really bad teachers. There are some really bad kids ( I was told to EFF OFF the other day by a kid when I told him to stop swinging on the stairs). Good times.

People who aren't in these classrooms have NO CLUE what it takes to teach here. However, if you feel you could do a better job, then please...come show me :)
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<< Homeschooling parent... Guess yelling at my wife is out of the question huh? :laugh:
    Definately!!
    Praise her efforts
    Get out of her way
    All the best :flowerforyou:
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Referring specifically to public school teachers...

I am a state employee also. I am paid an annual salary less than yours. You are off through the whole of June and July while I work. But you tell me that you can't teach my child for 8 hours a day for 180 days out of the year. This same child that I teach at home and deal with for that remaining time that you don't. Granted, there are other children to teach, but sometimes this is just hard for me to swallow. I actually don't mind paying teachers more, but I do want them to teach my child and not give up halfway through the year just because she is one of your more challenging students.

Thank you I agree and then they want you to start taking time off of work to meet with them on their schedule. I understand it is my child but you can't meet me halfway. In order for me to meet you in the middle of the day I have to take the whole day off of work. My son was sick one day and I was called by the teacher to come and get him thats fine but I work 30 min away and I told them this. Twenty seconds after I hung up the phone I was called back and told if I am not ther in 10min they would call DSS and have them pick my son up. I cannot shorten my commute and before anyone starts I do not send my son to school sick. If he has a fever or is visibly sick he does not go.
  • onefitdiva
    onefitdiva Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My only problem with teaching is the tenure, not the salary or benefits. I have seen teachers stay way past retirement. Usually these are the same teachers who have lost their passion and patience for it and the children. The ones who suffer are the kids. They need to recognize when they just do not have the ability to be effective in promoting a learning environment and make way for young, enthusiastic teachers who have so much to offer. I do think however teachers get a lot "heat" from people who have no clue tho, my aunt is a teacher, she puts up with a lot but loves it every day.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    And as far as I know, my district doesn't pay for the Masters program. LOL We don't even have writing paper for our kids!
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    First off, I am a teacher.

I teach in a community/technological college. I see the product of the American education system and all I can say is that if I worked on a production line and put out that kind of a product, I would be fired.

I enjoy teaching older students because they recognize the value of spelling and grammar as well as making a study schedule. They work hard and expect a lot from themselves.

The younger group, for the most part, have no clue what a study schedule is, expect to not have homework, can't spell, have no concept of capitalizing the first word of a sentence or using punctuation, and can't do simple math without a calculator. Additionally, they have no research skills, believe any of the Wiki sites are suitable for research papers, copy and paste without citations, and then wonder why I gave them an 'F' on their paper.

I have to re-teach every student who comes out of schools these days. I have to have them bring in calendars and create a study schedule. I have to explain to them how to take notes, how to do assignments, and how to study for tests. I still have students that will ask me what is on the tests because they can't seem to grasp an understanding of what is important and what isn't important, even when I stand up and say, "Now this is important, so pay attention."

They want every test to be a multiple choice test. They panic when they have to write out a paragraph for short answer essay. Half the time I have to find an interpreter to read their printing. They don't know how to write in cursive. Those that do write must be going on to be doctors because I sometimes have to ask who the paper belongs to or what it says.

They call me at all hours of the day, and sometimes at night, because everything is an 'emergency'. They can't follow the syllabus. Most don't hand in assignments on time and some even insist that the assignments are optional according to the school. If they were optional, would I have assigned them points and included the points in the final point count?

Few students coming out of school have logic or reasoning abilities. They can't read well enough to understand the material that is presented to them. Simple words stump them, so you can imagine what larger words associated with Anatomy and Physiology do to them. They can't form complete sentences and half their sentences make no sense.

I wouldn't worry so much if this was just one or two students coming out of highschool. Unfortunately, this has been about 95% of the students coming out of highschool. That's another thing: I put the number of points that they get correct on their test and they can't figure out the percentage that they got on the test. I have to do it for them!!

What people don't realize is that the ACT, PSAT, and SAT (tests used for college placement) have been dumbed-down so that the students today can get an acceptable score! Otherwise, there would only be Asian, Middle East, African, and European students in our colleges and universities.

Do I think that teachers deserve a raise? Not when they are producing the students that I have to re-teach every block.

The raises that teachers receive should be tied to how well their students do. Yes, there are students whose parents don't encourage them. Yes, there are students who don't want to crack open a book. I've had some of those as well. You motivate them. You talk with the parents and motivate them as well. If they are not interested in their child's education, then you talk to Social Service and Child Protection.

I homeschooled both my children from fifth grade on. Why? My daughter kept being passed on to the next grade even though she could not read, so I took the reins and pulled her out of school. She is an avid reader now and an electrician. My son kept getting beat up in fifth grade by a gang of girls. They didn't just beat up him, they beat up other boys as well. He ended up with a concussion and fractured ribs, so I pulled him out of school. This happened in the playground in front of playground monitors, by the way! He is now an honor student at Penn State. They both scored higher than children who went through public and private schooling on their placement tests.

We live in a society where knowledge is necessary to make a living, yet our students are not being educated well enough to prepare them well enough to make a living. They can't balance their check books, read, write, think for themselves, think logically, perform math, etc. They don't have the motivation to do anything other than what is asked of them. They need their hands held for just about everything. In Europe, adolescents are cognizant of the world and their place in it. In America, adolescents are cognizant of only themselves and what's in it for them.

I blame this on a school system who wants to make every child feel good. The every child is a winner concept is ridiculous because it makes children less motivated. Why excel if you are not going to be recognized for what you do? So every child produced will be mediocre at best and that is pretty much what I am seeing in the community colleges today.

I was going to pick which parts to cut out and which parts to quote, but it all fits with where I am going. I was a stay at home mom for over 7 years and am now going back to school full time. Seeing the work put out by some of my "peers" makes me physically ill. 18, 19, 20 year olds with horrendous grammar, terrible spelling, etc. I don't understand for the life of me how these students even graduated high school let alone got accepted into college!!! THEIR teachers are the ones that should be fired.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    It's not so black and white. There is so much wrong on so many levels. SO many parents don't do their part, and So many teachers don't do there's. I'm in and out of different classrooms every day, I see many excellent teachers, and I see many horrible teachers.
    To me, it's not really a matter of who's to blame. The fact is that as a nation, we are failing our students. And something different needs to be done.

I have two graduated, one graduates this year and one next year. If I had to do it again, no way in hell would my kids be in this school system.
    ^^^^^^^^^
    THIS
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    My only problem with teaching is the tenure, not the salary or benefits. I have seen teachers stay way past retirement. Usually these are the same teachers who have lost their passion and patience for it and the children. The ones who suffer are the kids. They need to recognize when they just do not have the ability to be effective in promoting a learning environment and make way for young, enthusiastic teachers who have so much to offer. I do think however teachers get a lot "heat" from people who have no clue tho, my aunt is a teacher, she puts up with a lot but loves it every day.
    The union allows them to "coast", just like many here that have adapted the KMA attitude because they are just waiting for retirement.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    And as far as I know, my district doesn't pay for the Masters program. LOL We don't even have writing paper for our kids!

THIS! All you teacher bashers, do YOU buy all of the supplies for your job? Because I do!
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    It also blows my mind that people say, "Must be nice to get off at 3:30."

I also am already at work before you're even awake, genius. It evens out.

I am not debating you. but I know lots who are into work at 7am or 730am and are working until 6pm or later. and during the evenings. Not that it's a pi$$ing contest. just saying.

I'm ALL for working less, more holidays and more pay! I don't see working ridiculous long hours as a badge of honor. So more power to those who work less and have a great balance!