Logging exercise for absurd things

Options

Replies

• pitbullmom87
    Options
    i agree, we are not here to judge, we are here to support each other. but in anyones defense that does do the logging of other activities, its their life, and if its working for them, go for it. I work out every single day, no breaks and sweat my rear end off, then i go to work and i work in a kitchen at a restaurant, where i also work my butt off and sweat like crazy. and its definitely working for me!
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Of course it is best for us to "try" not to judge others because of course we don't know each person's unique situation, but the truth is that each and every one of us DO judge what others post, whether we say it out loud or type it out in the forums or not... we are still thinking it. I personally think some people log some ridiculous things (none of my friends though), and maybe they don't realize that it's ridiculous unless they get called out on it. I don't call people out on that kind of stuff though because I don't want to be a b*tch and end up eating my words if there are circumstances I don't know about, lol. I do have my own thoughts though. I do think that there are situations where something I may see as ridiculous may actually be an accomplisment for that person so shame on me. We're all human. We all judge.
  • BoopsyBoop
    BoopsyBoop Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I delete people that overlog, may sound harsh but I just come from the gym for a hour where I only burned 300 calories working my *kitten* off I dont want to come log it and see "so and so had burned 678 calories cleaning- light-moderate for 30 mins" ect... Bums me out lol

I come home from the gym after an hour on the elliptical...burn 750 cals and also log in my cleaning and walking my dog......sometimes I burn more cleaning and walking my dog than I do at the gym that day....doesn't mean I don't work my *kitten* off cleaning my house and my dog is quite active so it's not a 10 minute walk either....
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I dont log in any exercise i keep track but dont log it
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    thefuzz...
    cake that has 90 calories??? where??
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Exercise and workouts are basically just ways to recreate physical activities we don't get in our daily lives anymore. Believe me, if you spent the whole day mowing lawns or taking bins out, you wouldn't need to spend time at the gym!
  • loftus2005
    Options
    I delete people that overlog, may sound harsh but I just come from the gym for a hour where I only burned 300 calories working my *kitten* off I dont want to come log it and see "so and so had burned 678 calories cleaning- light-moderate for 30 mins" ect... Bums me out lol

I agree with you!! I had a few of these ppl as friends. I'd just get back from bustin my buns at spinning, burning 450-500 calories. Id get on to log my workout to find so and so just did the eliptical trainer for 30 mins and burned 658 calories.... Ummm ya right.... however, I did agree with the first post until I read some of the replies and who am I to judge? so, I'll leave it at that and keep to myself!! :laugh:
  • heartshines
    heartshines Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Exercise is going above and beyond your normal activity. If you went grocery shopping before you lost weight, what is different? Are you running up and down the aisles...keeping your heart rate up for at least 20-30 minutes..that you didn't do before? Are you carrying cases of soft drinks?

I have a 4 block distance from the parking lot to my office, I do not log that. I do that EVERY DAY. When I run, I log that. That is something above my normal activities. Eventually my body will become accustomed to that and I have to change it.

I feel people are becoming delusional to true burning calories and will not see the expected results. They are listing normal activity, but still eating more than they should. That discouragement will cause backslides in diets.

Burning calories is above and beyond. Otherwise I will log 'thinking' because I feel like I burn calories thinking about burning calories.
  • NeshBeMe
    NeshBeMe Posts: 148 Member
    Options

^^^^love this!!!
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I don't care what other people do. I have my opinion but we know that opinions are like *kitten*; everyone has one and most of them stink.

I did see once a log for 1000+ calories burned doing 45 minutes of grocery shopping and 280 burned for sitting in a sauna for 20 minutes. Hard for me to believe but I don't know their situation.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options

^^^^love this!!!

me too!!
  • Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I can see both sides, to a point. If you've ever been in someone's home that has a SEVERE weight issue (100+pounds overweight) often times you will find their house is a mess. They are too worn out and out of shape to clean it. So yes, maybe those baby steps like taking the trash out, even folding clothes, is a workout for them! Although, yes, their BMR should probably be set to sedetary if they want to add it in this way. Don't be so judgemental. It's good on you all that delete those that do this if it bothers you-they don't need people like you discouraging and judging them.

I also live in one of the fattest states in the US, so I get SO happy when I see a much larger person than myself making a life change!
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options

^^^^love this!!!

ME TO NESH!! So wrong... we were doing these same things when we were gaining right! Wont make to much of difference if we are just counting calories and doing it...
  • LeeDahlen38
    LeeDahlen38 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I turned my "announcement" off so that it won't "brag" every time I do something. Also I tell my peeps that MY rule (Not judging) for logging is that if I do something HARD that gets my heart rate up, gets me tired and requires a shower afterwards then it gets logged. I hate seeing people who log every movement (Yes I even saw one who logged POOPING???) and at the end of the week they are PEEVED, CRYING, and depressed because the scale didn't move. Why? because most are eating back their calories burned. That's ok if it So if you burned 30 cals walking the dog Great! Bank it as a bonus and if it shows up Great!!. Just don't rely on it.
  • NeshBeMe
    Options
    I have read all these different replies and I agree w/ everyone. I won't pass judgement because if that's what make them feel better to log "Burned 20 Cals Walking up the Stairs w/ a basket of laundry", so be it. However, I have the same right to NOT say "Great Burn"! The healthier you become, the harder you must work out to burn large amounts of calories. For people who are obese with little to no exercise routines, the smallest things will net more cals burned than others. So, long story short, continue to log your 20 cals burned and I'll continue to congrat everyone but you. Hope that didn't come off as mean!! lbvs
  • Uhmanduh
    Uhmanduh Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I think that it depends on what your activity level was before. I know that for me my work is pretty active since i'm in nursing so if i were to log all the walking I do for that I would literally be in the negative with my calories everyday! I only log the things I go out of my way to do. That's the only time I think that it counts for me. Others it might be the little things though.
  • Kelly50054
    Options
    Who are we to judge what others do for physical activity?
    I can't believe someone would delete another for their narrow mindedness. How sad. In my opinion, we do not walk in their shoes. We have no idea what their life is like, unless they live with them or know them personally. Sad, sad, sad :(
  • NeshBeMe
    Options

^^^^love this!!!

ME TO NESH!! So wrong... we were doing these same things when we were gaining right! Wont make to much of difference if we are just counting calories and doing it...

YES Steph!! When I first joined, I saw ppl logging cleaning and I jumped right in, only to realize I wasn't losing anything!! I have about 15 stairs that I go up and down daily in my home but I was still overweight. Now, if I don't get my heart pumping and break a sweat that is extremely noticeable, it doesn't get logged. I'm in this to WIN, WIN, WIN!! lol
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I only log movement I do that I schedule in my day as exercise. I want my logged time to reflect my new life as a thin person. When I am at my goal I do not want to think of carrying out the garbage as exercise.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I don't understand it either.. but alas people to do it.

To me, things like grocery shopping, cleaning, shopping at the mall, are a part of everyday life. They are things that most normal people did everyday without a second thought before they started logging. Now that they have started logging though, all logic goes out the window and everything magically becomes exercise, even if it isn't.

Yesterday I walked around an indoor track for a mile with my students. Normally I don't log that as I would consider it part of my job. Yet I did log it as exercise yesterday because I didn't have time to go to the gym and figured why not log it? Would some people consider that apart of my job and not exercise? Yea probably... and normally I'm in that camp. Circumstances change though, and thats what people have to understand.

One of my friends logs grocery shopping. The first thing she does is fill up her cart with the largest, heaviest bags of pet food and cat litter. Then she pushes the cart as fast as she can through the store while she shops and then unloads at the end.

If my family goes for all day shopping, I will log a few hours too. We are walking all day, and I am carrying bags and usually at least one child. That can be a bigger burn than an organized athletic activity. You don't know what I did for that day or why I logged it. Why does it bother you?

And the reason you've lost 12 pounds while I've lost 29 is because why?

This is what happens when people log things like cleaning and shopping.. because they cheat themselves and wind up eating more then they should and thus don't get the results they want.

I've walked around Chicago all day before(we're talking 6+ hours of walking from the train station, to Michigan/State Street, up and down both Streets, in and out of stores, and then walk back to the train station) and I never log it as exercise. To me, thats not exercise.. It's just what happens when I choose to go downtown shopping for a day and I treat it as such.
This discussion has been closed.