Logging exercise for absurd things

Options

Replies

• ymhand
    ymhand Posts: 188
    Options
    I don't understand why some people log calories for putting out the bin and other things like this.
    I only log what I have gone out my way to do like take a half an hour walk, and such.
    Putting things out in the bin is just things you do in your regular day without thinking.

What are your thoughts?
    and whats the craziest thing some one has logged that you have seen?
    I've come to understand that I do not need to understand why people do the things they do ....I can think to myself "well that's not the way I'd do it , and I'm glad I have that choice".....and move on with my life. I try to focus most of my attention on how I can make my life work for me.
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options

And the reason you've lost 12 pounds while I've lost 29 is because why?

Right. Because this is a competition. :huh:
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    For me personally, and only for me, I only record things above and beyond what I was doing before I started MFP. I did laundry, cooked, cleaned, mopped, swept, etc. Things i didnt do....go to the YMCA and do acquatics or do exercise CD's on my Wii. Now I am not a huge calorie burner because of double knee replacements and there are limits as to what I can physically do. So I also dont eat my exercise calories because they are not big huge numbers and I certainly dont want to overestimate my calorie burn and think I can eat them and then find I'm gaining weight because of recording stuff I did before.

I pretty much have the feeling that each to their own and how they log. I feel even if I'm doing extra ordinary cleaning, I still dont count it, like cleaning out closets earlier in the week. But that's just me and I know I burned extra calories doing that but that's all good hopefully come weigh-in day. I'd rather be surprised with a loss than with a gain.
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options

For the win!
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options

For the win!

DITTO!
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    [.
  • Suziq2you
    Options
    I don't understand it either.. but alas people to do it.

To me, things like grocery shopping, cleaning, shopping at the mall, are a part of everyday life. They are things that most normal people did everyday without a second thought before they started logging. Now that they have started logging though, all logic goes out the window and everything magically becomes exercise, even if it isn't.

Yesterday I walked around an indoor track for a mile with my students. Normally I don't log that as I would consider it part of my job. Yet I did log it as exercise yesterday because I didn't have time to go to the gym and figured why not log it? Would some people consider that apart of my job and not exercise? Yea probably... and normally I'm in that camp. Circumstances change though, and thats what people have to understand.

One of my friends logs grocery shopping. The first thing she does is fill up her cart with the largest, heaviest bags of pet food and cat litter. Then she pushes the cart as fast as she can through the store while she shops and then unloads at the end.

If my family goes for all day shopping, I will log a few hours too. We are walking all day, and I am carrying bags and usually at least one child. That can be a bigger burn than an organized athletic activity. You don't know what I did for that day or why I logged it. Why does it bother you?

Hmmm. I guess it's the same reason I've lost 60 and you've lost 29. Geez.
  • kimborious
    Options

Seriously? Maybe she started out smaller than you. Maybe she has been working out for less time. These threads piss me off. People making ANY effort should be encouraged. I am happy to hear that people delete "over-sharers". Better that you are not 'friends' with them as you aren't going to be any sort of support.
  • Suziq2you
    Options
    I don't understand it either.. but alas people to do it.

To me, things like grocery shopping, cleaning, shopping at the mall, are a part of everyday life. They are things that most normal people did everyday without a second thought before they started logging. Now that they have started logging though, all logic goes out the window and everything magically becomes exercise, even if it isn't.

Yesterday I walked around an indoor track for a mile with my students. Normally I don't log that as I would consider it part of my job. Yet I did log it as exercise yesterday because I didn't have time to go to the gym and figured why not log it? Would some people consider that apart of my job and not exercise? Yea probably... and normally I'm in that camp. Circumstances change though, and thats what people have to understand.

One of my friends logs grocery shopping. The first thing she does is fill up her cart with the largest, heaviest bags of pet food and cat litter. Then she pushes the cart as fast as she can through the store while she shops and then unloads at the end.

If my family goes for all day shopping, I will log a few hours too. We are walking all day, and I am carrying bags and usually at least one child. That can be a bigger burn than an organized athletic activity. You don't know what I did for that day or why I logged it. Why does it bother you?

Hmmm. I guess it's the same reason I've lost 60 and you've lost 29. Geez.

You also have more to lose then I do.

Learn to read.

Is there a prize?
  • DavetheHYNIC
    DavetheHYNIC Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I dont have time to read all the responses to the post but are you really showing support of someone who logs something as sublime as light cleaning? Perhaps in your desire to be "non judgemental " your actually being passive and ambivalent. I mean if you read someone's profile and they have a genuine desire to lose weight and get in shape, why wouldn't you voice your opinion to that person about their work out habits or lack thereof ?

Also from the people who do log these minor activities and low cal burns are u just not aware that u burn calories constantly even when your sleeping? So what is the point of logging say "12 mins of 2.0 walk to burn 40 calories" or "15 mins of washing dishes for 32 calories". Just would love to get an insight into your rational........
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    ****showednesdays.jpg
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    <<I did see once a log for 1000+ calories burned doing 45 minutes of grocery shopping and 280 burned for sitting in a sauna for 20 minutes. Hard for me to believe but I don't know their situation.>>
    [/quote]

people who log exaggerated calories are only cheating themselves. as for even caring what others log; anyone who would actually judge someone for this is an insecure control freak. try controlling yourself.
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    Hey if you have chips, snacky, and all sort of stuff in your Diary!! I dont limit it to just the exercising...I see many complain of no movement on the scale...but Not Eating and being under and not really feeding the body right with nutritional items...NO COMMENT from me either!! Sorry thats not good support...good job logging is not going to get it!
  • Suziq2you
    Options
    I dont have time to read all the responses to the post but are you really showing support of someone who logs something as sublime as light cleaning? Perhaps in your desire to be "non judgemental " your actually being passive and ambivalent. I mean if you read someone's profile and they have a genuine desire to lose weight and get in shape, why wouldn't you voice your opinion to that person about their work out habits or lack thereof ?

Also from the people who do log these minor activities and low cal burns are u just not aware that u burn calories constantly even when your sleeping? So what is the point of logging say "12 mins of 2.0 walk to burn 40 calories" or "15 mins of washing dishes for 32 calories". Just would love to get an insight into your rational........
    What most people are saying is that we all didn't come to MFP the same, we can't all possibly be the same. When I joined in March 2011, a 10-15 minute walk left me short of breath, but I kept walking it and I kept logging it. We have to start somewhere and to tell people that where they started isn't good enough is just wrong.
  • Leigh2778
    Leigh2778 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It always amazes me that people get offended over the most minor things. If you can't handle someone who logs cleaning as exercise, delete them. That is, by far, better than starting a thread about people who log absurd things. If something annoys you, don't read it, don't comment on it, etc. It's really pretty simple.
    In the couple weeks I've been using MFP, I've noticed that people have lost weight in vastly different ways, people eat vastly different things and people burn calories in vastly different ways. Welcome to life--one size does not fit all.
    I am disappointed, though, in the lack of support these types of threads show. I thought support was one of the reasons most of us joined? Am I wrong?
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I do like seeing some of the things people add. The best had to be singing standing up!

There's a category for singing standing up? That's good to know! I've been logging my practise as 'Playing music' (I'm an opera singer, and believe me when I say that singing at high intensity can make you sweat!). If it's exercise over a sustained period of time, 'say 10 mins plus, I log it, regardless of the activity. Tiny bursts of activity, I can't be bothered with. That's my personal choice, and it works for me. Everyone has to find their own method, and everyone's circumstances and lifestyle is slightly different.

I log when I sing.......with the band where I do vocals :) I can be on my feet for over 2 hours, and I do a lot of movement as I sing...........so, I believe it's very justified !

I also log things like playing with my grandson (he's 4 1/2, and BELIEVE ME, it's a workout when he's around), long-term shopping (walking the mall and other stores for 2 hours can burn it up), and doing my laundry (I have to walk up and down a long flight of stairs and around outside the building, carrying baskets and laundry stuff.) I don't log the small stuff, but see that others do..............I know a gal who logs 5 minutes of activity for 15 calories (and she's a tiny little thing), and it bugs me, but it's HER thing, so who cares?
  • Ambamm77
    Options
    First, I'll say I haven't read everyone's responses so I apologize if I'm repeating.

Honestly, who cares what other people list as their activities unless they are asking you for advice. Them logging getting out of bed or washing dishes doesn't affect (or is it effect) you. It is only them that will have results or not by "cheating" with their work out calories. If they continue to consume extra calories then they wont lose as fast. That's their choice.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    My thing is, household chores are extremely difficult for me because of a disability. Doing dishes takes a lot of ab tension; it's been known to make me sweat! Same thing happens with taking out trash or doing laundry.
    The issue isn't so much the type of activity, but how long you do it and how high your heart rate gets. If you are achieving cardio/aerobic workouts with these activities, I think you SHOULD log it. At my house, taking out the "bin" means you are also breaking down cardboard, washing jars and cans, sorting, lifting, carrying, and climbing stairs.

I guess what I'm saying is just because something is easy for one person doesn't mean it's not difficult for another person. If you are going to "dog" on someone for logging it, you should first ask them.

Oh, and the comment about standing not being exercise? It may not be for someone that is 180 pounds but if you're 600 pounds, standing IS exercise. Look it up. Singing is also a very good ab workout if you do it properly.

I mean, household chores, gardening, leisurely walks... These are all recommended exercise activities for the elderly and the extremely obese to keep them active. I think it really sucks that people are reading the efforts of others on here and being so negative.

Now, if they logged "Shaking my foot for 45 minutes" I might agree... Though that still burns more calories than sitting still, and if that's all you can do, it's better than nothing!
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I don't care what other people do. I have my opinion but we know that opinions are like *kitten*; everyone has one and most of them stink.

I did see once a log for 1000+ calories burned doing 45 minutes of grocery shopping and 280 burned for sitting in a sauna for 20 minutes. Hard for me to believe but I don't know their situation.

Oh man, I've been missing out. How many do you think I'd burn sitting in a hot tub? :laugh:

I only log intentional exercise. We park about 12 minutes away from the office - I don't log those 24 minutes walking and I try and get out at lunch - I don't count that either unless I slap my runners on and actually turn it into exercise.
  • natalieg0307
    natalieg0307 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I see people logging odd things to burn calories……but who cares. For me, I only log the extra, intentional stuff. I know that house cleaning, mowing, grocery shopping, etc all burn calories…..but for me, obviously not enough. I was doing all these things before I joined MFP and didn’t lose any weight. So, I don’t judge what others log for a calorie burn. Whatever works for them……let them do it.
This discussion has been closed.