What is a Food your afraid of??

Options

Replies

• ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid of the fruit called Durian. It's shapped like a melon, but has hard triangular spikes. Once you break it open, it smells like corpse, and the texture inside is like a thick custard with an off yellow colour (like white drapes that lived with a smoker for 20 years).

I think I'll actually try some in Thailand, but I don't expect to like it very much *shudders*.
  • sinistertitan
    sinistertitan Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Not many foods I'm afraid of. This is one.

balut.jpg

ETA: no means disrespecting those who eat and enjoy this. It just isn't something I can imagine myself consuming.
    do people really eat it...so gross Im afraid too!!

WTF IS THAT!? 0_0
    It's called a balut. Popular Filipino street snack.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Squid or octopus. Eel. Ok, just about any exotic seafood.
  • tikanique
    tikanique Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Pop Tarts and potatoes. I'm afraid of Pop Tarts because if I eat one, then I'm eating the whole box. They are banned from my house.

Potatoes are okay unless........they sit somewhere in a dark space, all forgotten and then those things start to grow. They look like alien tentacles just waiting to attach themselves to some humn and suck the life from them. My ex chased me around his house with a bag of these and I almost killed myself trying to stay away from them. In my house, all potatoes go in the fridge.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I have a butternut squash in my fridge right now I'm afraid to make.

Mmmm...peel, cube. then boil it until soft (kinda like boiling a sweet potato). Puree, add light cream and nutmeg. Instant pasta sauce! If you want to get really fancy, use the spinach infused pasta, then bake it in the oven...yum! Works well with pene pasta or fettuchini.
  • mo_is_here
    Options
    tacos
  • qthompson
    Options
    Mine is cottage cheese! It has great benefits and I always see people eating it with fruit and I think I want to try it then bam, I see it and its all lumpy and slimy looking! :noway: No thanks, maybe next time!
  • thesmellofapples
    thesmellofapples Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    durian. it smells like someone took a dump in a sweat sock. i'm sure it doesn't taste any different than that either.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    any sugary...
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Shrimp!

I think they taste great, etc but I inevitably feel sick if I eat more than a few because I start picture their beady little eyes and think to myself "I am eating an entire creature in one bite, how gross is that!?"... I know, I know...

Same thing with oysters, muscles, clams, etc. *shudder*
  • JessyeS
    JessyeS Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms. My stepdad force fed them to me when I was a kid so now even the smell makes me gag
  • Isidora87
    Options
    Pigs in a blanket... I could eat it all day :)
  • hedgiie
    Options
    yup it's called "balut" it's popular east Asian delicacy. It is known to have an aphrodisiac effect. It's eaten either with spicy vinegar and salt.

Personally, i starting to miss eating balut.
  • LeSsOvMe
    LeSsOvMe Posts: 117
    Options
    ScrewyChars-6288812
  • hedgiie
    Options
    14717941_6583_thumb hedgiie Selector

Joined Jan 2012

Wed 01/18/12 10:58 AM
    yup it's called "balut" it's popular east Asian delicacy. It is known to have an aphrodisiac effect. It's eaten either with spicy vinegar and salt.

Personally, i starting to miss eating balut.
    Not many foods I'm afraid of. This is one.

balut.jpg

ETA: no means disrespecting those who eat and enjoy this. It just isn't something I can imagine myself consuming.
    do people really eat it...so gross Im afraid too!!
  • danibabs
    danibabs Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Afraid of won't eat - peppers, any kind (just about the only thing I don't like)

Afraid of cause I love it too much - nutella
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Seafood! Fish, shrimp, lobster, crabs...all that stuff. I am trying to break out of that since moving to Maryland...my husband enjoys crab cakes and crab seems to be everywhere. I want to try it...but I am literally scared to. I am from Canada and used to LOVE eating at Mandarin. Every now and then they have the crab legs thing. When my husband (then fiance) was visiting once, he got a bunch and dared me to try it. He put a small piece of the meat on my plate and I actually started shaking when I attempted to eat it. I get the same reaction for any seafood. As a kid I loved fish and chips...and now the smell makes me nervous. So weird.
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Mine is Asparagus....had it in my fridge twice now to "try" it but let it go bad using the excuse I don't know how to cook it...when really I am just a 28 year old chicken poop to afraid to try something new...lol Whats your afraid food??

OMG try it this way and you will *crave* it!

Cut the bottoms off about 1" and rinse them off.
    Lay them on a cookie sheet.
    Drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with McCormick's Grill Mates Montreal Steak
    Broil for about 5 minutes.

Or for a different variation, do the same but drizzle with butter instead of olive oil, and sprinkle with Romano or Parmesan cheese instead of the steak seasoning.

My kids even like it!
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    90%of veggies and meat! Goal is each week to try a new veggie or one I'm not a huge fan of. Maybe trying to cook it different ways will grow on me! Fingers crossed!

That is a very cool goal. What have you tried, and what is on your list?

Just started and working hard at adding chicken into my diet. Shredded it in the food processor and put on salads and a homemade pizza. I'm planning on zucchini tomorrow night. Adding peppers in next week and if I can get brave enough I'll try squash too. My kids don't enjoy what we're doing but over time they'll adjust.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I'm afraid each morning when I come to drink my spirulina shot

If you were to eat the soil that a body had decomposed in, I should imagine it would be very much like this

Bleurgh