Gym starers -thoughts? feelings? outrage?

Options

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    So a hot guy looking at you is flattering...

... but an ugly guy doing it is creepy.

Life is unfair.

Staring at hot girls is fun.

Staring at not-hot girls...not so much.

=)
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    When I used a gym I made use of the mirrors. Only a rookie turns their head. You can see the whole gym through the mirrors:wink:

And you can get caught looking using the mirrors as well.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I don't use a gym but I get my fair share of starers. They stare while I'm shopping (sometimes follow me too), while I'm out at lunch, at the library, on my walks. It's only fun when the person staring me down is attractive. That's not the case most of the time.

Wow... just wow... this is the most superficial statement of the day!

I appreciate her statement because it's honest.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with an occasional glance or a look. What boggles my mind, is the guys that have stood behind my treadmill while I was running and just sit there and watched me run. What they don't seem to realize is the huge plate glass windows in front of me, are basically like mirrors, so I can see what you are doing!
  • stcar
    stcar Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate it. Enough to make me stop going to the gym and work out at home. I turn beat red every time and therefore, purposely never stare at anyone, bc I know how uncomfortable it can make you feel.....also, bc I know that to some cocky ppl out there, it's an ego boost for them :)
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    I don't use a gym but I get my fair share of starers. They stare while I'm shopping (sometimes follow me too), while I'm out at lunch, at the library, on my walks. It's only fun when the person staring me down is attractive. That's not the case most of the time.

Please, you know you think it too. At least she was brave enough to say it.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate it. Enough to make me stop going to the gym and work out at home. I turn beat red every time and therefore, purposely never stare at anyone, bc I know how uncomfortable it can make you feel.....also, bc I know that to some cocky ppl out there, it's an ego boost for them :)

So just wear things that cover your hot body when you go; I do.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    My thoughts and opinions are that attractive women get validation from being stared at, but will put on a show decrying men as pigs for doing it even though inward they are beaming from the attention. This is doubly so for women who were once overweight and deemed "unattractive". The new attention is akin to a person who has not drank water in a week finding a pool of it.

Overweight women or women who feel they are not attractive will feel negatively towards the same stare that a guy gives an attractive girl because she feels the guy is weighing her harshly in his mind.

I find that if a woman who says she hates being stared at suddenly did not get attention, that she would be negatively impacted by it more often than those who really hate being stared at (which I find to truly be uncommon)

LOL. How about those of us that have lost weight and have been told that we are attractive, but we don't believe it?

Personally, I want to pat myself on the back every single time I catch a guy checking me out. I've worked hard to get to where I am and I enjoy the attention.

FYI, it's not only men, I have recently been hit on by a lesbian. I was flattered that she found me attractive, too.
  • Captain_Mal
    Captain_Mal Posts: 945 Member
    Options

So a hot guy looking at you is flattering...

... but an ugly guy doing it is creepy.

Life is unfair.

Life is never fair. That's not exactly what I meant but it does get creepy at times no matter if they are attractive or not.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Working at many gyms in my career, there are some that crave the attention and some that don't. What I find amusing is that if it's someone that's staring at them that they feel an attraction too, then it's okay. But if it's not someone they aren't attracted to, it's inappropriate.
    The more you show, the longer the stares. That's usually how it works.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    What a crazy world we live in ! I would be lying if I said I did not look ( and so would any other male who is honest ) . I agree with the comment about not wanting to make anyone uncomfortable , and I don't consciously stare and try not to look repeatedly . Sometimes you may be uncomfortable because you are noticing more and are a little self conscious with a few lingering self image issues . ..... And then there are some creeps who enjoy making you uncomfortable for which I apologize not because I am undressing you with my eyes but because my friendly glance is always suspect because of them .
  • stcar
    Options

So just wear things that cover your hot body when you go; I do.
    I do, still happens...
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    When I used a gym I made use of the mirrors. Only a rookie turns their head. You can see the whole gym through the mirrors:wink:

Bingo! :wink:
  • stcar
    Options
    My thoughts and opinions are that attractive women get validation from being stared at, but will put on a show decrying men as pigs for doing it even though inward they are beaming from the attention. This is doubly so for women who were once overweight and deemed "unattractive". The new attention is akin to a person who has not drank water in a week finding a pool of it.

Overweight women or women who feel they are not attractive will feel negatively towards the same stare that a guy gives an attractive girl because she feels the guy is weighing her harshly in his mind.

I find that if a woman who says she hates being stared at suddenly did not get attention, that she would be negatively impacted by it more often than those who really hate being stared at (which I find to truly be uncommon)

LOL. How about those of us that have lost weight and have been told that we are attractive, but we don't believe it?

Personally, I want to pat myself on the back every single time I catch a guy checking me out. I've worked hard to get to where I am and I enjoy the attention.

FYI, it's not only men, I have recently been hit on by a lesbian. I was flattered that she found me attractive, too.
    Or those of us who are legitimately shy and embarrass easily?
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options

I appreciate her statement because it's honest.

Unfortunate people mistake honesty for being superficial. :flowerforyou:
    I like it a lot. It is a big contrast to being stared at for being almost 300lbs and 5'4".
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Working at many gyms in my career, there are some that crave the attention and some that don't. What I find amusing is that if it's someone that's staring at them that they feel an attraction too, then it's okay. But if it's not someone they aren't attracted to, it's inappropriate.
    The more you show, the longer the stares. That's usually how it works.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Yep that's one of the Auticus Rules of Life:
    If a man comes on to a woman and she's not attracted to him, it's inappropriate/creepy
    If a man comes on to a woman and she is attracted to him, it's flattering.

But life is not fair, and I think most if not all of us know this is true, that's why many of us are on this site trying to improve how we look.

And I certainly agree, the more skin you are showing, the more stares you are going to get. If you show up at the gym looking like you are going to the beach, then you know guys are going to be staring at you. If you truly don't like that, wear something that doesn't show us your body. Otherwise ... I have a feeling you know what you are doing and are doing so intentionally.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options

Ah, and I'm sure Auticus would agree, this is probably a generally true sociological statement. I think people feel even more attractive when they see that attractive people are checking them out. Human nature is not all pretty rainbows and cuddly kittens!
  • Vermilla
    Vermilla Posts: 348
    Options
    I've had some people stare, and at first, I thought it was kind of creepy but then I realized I do it a bit too. Not stare as in stalker creepy type way (I hope), but I really look around and watch people here and there. It amazes me some of the things people can do. I watched this one really really heavy guy on the treadmill just in a full out sprint for a few minutes before I realized I was staring. :laugh: It was just really amazing. Mostly, though, I just glance around to see what people are doing, maybe take some tips from them for my own workouts. I don't think it's a problem unless they interrupt you or move machines with you so they can continue to stare or something weird like that.

And my gym has a lot of mirrors too, and you can see most people that way, hehe!
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I think it depends how you stare. There are a lot of guys who can be rude while staring or make remarks. I try not to be that guy. Sometimes it can be rough considering some of the stuff woman wear to the gym. If im caught I just smile and continue one with my work out and not stare again as to not to make anyone uncomfortable.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm flattered if someone wants to look.

I don't work out in a gym much, but when I'm out running I get a lot of car honks. Now, my hair is pulled up in an unflattering bun, I'm dripping sweat, bright red and, well, I've seen photos from races of me running and I don't get what they're excited about. But the attention is welcome. :-) (As long as it doesn't get scary creepy, of course.)