Exercise when you have your period

So I’ve been going to the gym quite religiously except when I have my period. During three weeks I build a rhythm and by the third week I feel great and then that one week it’s surprising that I can even get out of bed. The week after I find it really hard to restart exercising again, especially after a week of uncontrollable binge eating. I hurt all week and my only consolation is yummy treats.
Does anyone have ways to deal with it?

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    No, I know the feeling... Before I went on Birth Control I was in so much pain that I couldn't even make it out of bed. Now that I'm on it, I do exercise during that week, but I don't always feel like it :)

I say talk to your doc about how you are feeling and see what she says.. Period's should be bad but not debilitating as I found out.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    I am really not trying to be mean but suck it up and go to the gym. We are women in the 21st century and we aren't sent to the red tent. It's just a little annoyance once a month. It will actually help you feel better.
  • hollin40
    hollin40 Posts: 120 Member
    I worked out last week with mine and yes, it was not fun but I DID IT and I lost 4 lbs! I agree with the pp...suck it up and go to the gym. Take some extra calcium and some Advil and do it. Soak in a hot epsom salt bath after and go to bed. You will start to feel better the more you exercise. I'm addicted to it almost it makes me feel so good.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    I am really not trying to be mean but suck it up and go to the gym. We are women in the 21st century and we aren't sent to the red tent. It's just a little annoyance once a month. It will actually help you feel better.

Well, for some of us it's the worst pain you can experience (other than childbirth). I would say take some ibuprofen (I take 800-1000 mg - its a prescription) and try to do something. Even a little bit of a walk will help.
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    When your period causes such severe pain that it feels like you are giving birth to a 10 lb baby....and on top of that, you're having an anxiety attack for an hour, it's not something you can just suck up.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member

Well, for some of us it's the worst pain you can experience (other than childbirth). I would say take some ibuprofen (I take 800-1000 mg - its a prescription) and try to do something. Even a little bit of a walk will help.

I'm not doubting anyone's pain. I personally have all my cramps in my back and it feels like my spine is going to snap in half, just like when I was in labor. But as soon as I get my body moving with some vigorous exercise, it relieves the pain.
  • I find that I feel much better when I exercise during my period. I hate it before I actually begin - I'm achy, cramping, and have a headache. But once I start, it makes me feel so much better.

I would say that unless you have massive medical issues during your period, you should try to exercise. It won't hurt you, and will probably help.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Does anyone have ways to deal with it?
    YES...I force myself to workout, and when I get to the gym, I work out even harder to "punish" this rude 'visitor' that thinks it can take over control of my life one week a month. Like you, I used to always skip the gym the week of my period, then it occured to me.."this is BS" and decided I wouldn't let it control what I did (or ate) anymore. I can't say for sure that its BECAUSE of working out (since I'm getting older, some things are just changing hormonally), but after working through it since about July, they've become lighter and much easier to manage.

Try to make yourself go at least a couple days that week, and see if you can build up to a habit of not missing at all.
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Maybe you should talk to your gyno about getting on the pill. When I was younger, I had cramps a few times where I had to go to the doctor because I thought something was majorly wrong. The doctor suggested birth control to help with cramping, reducing flow, etc. It helps - A LOT. Sometimes I still have to pop a few ibuprofins but nothing to where I am completely incapacitated.

Good luck!
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 847 Member
    I found that the first month or 2. Then I started still going while having the dreaded period and found that I actually felt better. Not sure if it was the endorphins or what but my mood improved and cramps diminished greatly!!
  • I don't have issues exercising when I have my period. I have an issue when I get my birth control shot. It completely puts me out of commission for at least a few days. Its horrible but I guess it gives my body a relaxing break.
  • I teach 18 fitness classes, water and land, even when I have mine - and mine are BAD. I'm run down, every joint aches, and my lower abdomen feels like it weighs 50 lbs. If I didn't go teach I'd be in bed. Take it slow, but get out and work out somehow.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    I always rolled my eyes growing up when my mom said working out helps cramps. I never wanted to move on my period. But since I started my new "healthy/fitness" lifestyle...if I'm exercising every day, by the time I get to my period, I only have about half a day of very light cramps and that's it. Every body is different, but it definitely helped me. I barely noticed being on my period because I felt so normal for the first time in a long time.
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Plus, I've read in various magazines that exercising during your TOM is very effective in relieving cramps - it's just forcing yourself to go to the gym.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Exercise sounds like the most unappealing thing in the world when you're suffering from debilitating cramps, but it's actually the best pain reliever I've found. You probably will be too dizzy, nauseated, and faint to do a normal workout, but taking a walk or doing light housecleaning does wonders. Just keep reminding yourself that the sooner you start moving the sooner you'll feel better.
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    I did my regular daily exercise routine just as always and I am actually feeling better than I usually do on day 1.

I am not one to give much suggestions because I don't feel anything like you but if there is any way you could just try to do some light exercise like walking, you may feel better. Exercise has helped me with my anxiety attacks but mine weren't related to that TOM either.

Hang in there and try no to let it get you down to binge eating.

ETA: And I usually hold on more to the treadmill when I feel dizzy, so I can still walk.
  • I understand what you mean, but exercise actually makes it feel better. I have horrible first day cramps, but it seems to become more bearable after I workout. Take the first couple days a rest days but dont stop for the whole week. I actually find the more i workout the less my cramps hurt. :smile:
  • kswift85
    kswift85 Posts: 56 Member
    I used to use it as an excuse to take the week off from exercise and even eating well. I would be tired and get horrible migraines...since I got serious about my health I no longer excuse myself for a week. Rather than say I'll take the day or week off, I get up and get moving. Once I'm started I find it easier to get it done and keep going!! I also find that my energy level after working out is higher and my migraines are being kept at bay. So I say no excuses...get up and get moving...and if you are in that much pain then maybe a doctor would be able to help you out.:smile:
  • Psychomasokism
    Psychomasokism Posts: 46 Member
    I feel ya :( I used to not at all on that week. But I found I can muster up some strength if I force myself after the first couple of days (when I'm in excruciating pain). The bingeing usually happens prior to "that" week for me, I get cravings & i cant help myself >.<
  • MariaAlbinaxoxo
    MariaAlbinaxoxo Posts: 290 Member
    I get it really bad as well and take 800mg ibuprofen and it helps A LOT. You don't have to work out every day on your period but even once would help keep you from not wanting to do anything when it's over for the month.