Exercise when you have your period

Options

Replies

• zombiemusicangel
    Options
    I am really not trying to be mean but suck it up and go to the gym. We are women in the 21st century and we aren't sent to the red tent. It's just a little annoyance once a month. It will actually help you feel better.

I seriously envy you! I wish it was that simple. I spend two weeks a month with nausea, intense cravings, fatigue, achiness and insomnia. And its weird - all I crave is bread and beer, but if I can't find that anything will do. Even things I don't want to eat and don't like I sometimes shovel into my mouth. This is a forum and I totally understand that this might work for you, but we have already tried "sucking it up." All the rest of the time I am a tough, take no prisoners kind of woman. But when that hits and my runs drop down to a 13 minute mile and my knees begin to buckle, I know I have to make some changes somewhere. I totally understand this method works for you, but if were that simple for me, I would have don't it. Unfortunately sometimes the hormonal balances can change our ability to deal with these situations. Some women get the biological F**-its

For me I think it starts with carbs and dairy though - as our reproductive system is closely tied to the activity of the pancreas and insulin, watch what you are eating, and try finding the point in the day when you don't feel quite as dead. I find that during those times runs have to be at night or else I will make morning excuses and skip it.

Keep trying new things - you'll figure out what works for you. The worst thing that can happen is you start again at square one. But at least you've learned what doesn't work. Keep ruling things out until you get it straight. It is part of the process.
  • nighthawk327
    Options
    The first two days of mine are usually pretty bad. I hate feeling like I'm going to leak in public too, haha. During these days I usually just do a bunch of yoga (the breathing helps with the pain), starting out really slow and ramping up if I'm feeling up to it. It especially helps in the morning after waking up!
  • TracyMichelle24
    Options
    I don't take the whole period off, but I do take the first day and do something very light and sitting the second day. I have Endometriosis and PCOS, so have a lot of pelvic pain with hormonal fluctuations. My 1st two days of my period I'm in complete agony. I have bad cramps, stabbing and sudden back pain that has made me fall down more than a few times over the years, and my whoha throbs in intense pain when I stand up more than 5 minutes. It's awful! I try not to eat like a crazy woman and forgive myself for taking a day off and then lighten up the load then 2nd day. I'm back to working out normal on day 3 though. I unfortunatley have a heavy and long cycle that always lasts a full 7 days. While exercise during my period makes me feel great, exercise has never helped those first 2 days. I can't take BCP's or any hormones b/c I have 2 blood clotting disorders. I have to take Naproxen the first 2 days just to function. Don't get lazy on your period, but also listen to your body! If you're in immense pain, talk to your gyn and find out why.
  • CrisN99
    CrisN99 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Absolutely go natural if you can. Cups are worth their weight in gold.

Also, what are your at-home exercise choices? I can understand not wanting to get to the gym and spring a leak. So do you have a Wii? Or a work out dvd you can do instead? As long as you are exercising it doesn't matter if its at the gym or in private. You're going to have a period from 13 to 53 (for most of us) so we may as well start finding ways to live around the thing!

LOL!
  • eve7166
    eve7166 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    on bad days try yoga... tust me i hate working out on my week (ugh i get so sleeepy and crampy) . But on bad days yoga and some streching will keep you in the routine and really help with cramps!!!
  • Paxnyokes
    Paxnyokes Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When your period causes such severe pain that it feels like you are giving birth to a 10 lb baby....and on top of that, you're having an anxiety attack for an hour, it's not something you can just suck up.

That's when you need to see your doctor.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I understand that everyone has different periods. Some people get really bad pain and can't do anything. Personally I find exercise really helps. Also my period pains have got far better now I am a lower weight. In fact the only time I have ever had problems with it was when I weighed more than 145 lbs.
  • Linda916
    Linda916 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE the book!!! So Great! gives you such a new respect for the role of a Woman in those times.....
  • fteale
    Options
    I am really not trying to be mean but suck it up and go to the gym. We are women in the 21st century and we aren't sent to the red tent. It's just a little annoyance once a month. It will actually help you feel better.

Well, for some of us it's the worst pain you can experience (other than childbirth). I would say take some ibuprofen (I take 800-1000 mg - its a prescription) and try to do something. Even a little bit of a walk will help.

If I take ibuprofen before exercise, I get a nose bleed. Just warning there may be a side effect!
  • xo_morgan
    xo_morgan Posts: 298
    Options
    When your period causes such severe pain that it feels like you are giving birth to a 10 lb baby....and on top of that, you're having an anxiety attack for an hour, it's not something you can just suck up.

i definitely agree with this. i also get very large cysts :frown: it makes it almost downright impossible to get my butt on any kind of machine and work out
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    it's a journey, so I learn with each period ways to deal. I have no kids, but skipped my period for 9months until I changed my lifestyle and started dropping weight. I am happy to say I don't have really bad pains or sickness, but if anything like a headache happens I take a tylenol or alive, and get on with life. I might go to the gym, but I also have exercise dvds. JM boost metabolism and those walking dvds by Leslie S. are great on your cycle. a couple of days of rest won't hurt you, but try to not take the whole week off, drink plenty water, and if you won't be exercising, try to fill that time gap with other things besides eating. I am a chip eater during that time, so know your weaknesses and avoid them if you can't seem to do it in moderation
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should speak with your healthcare provider about the symptoms you are having.
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    For me, the week before my period I'm ravenous! So, I workout even more during that week so that I can accomodate my increased appetite. During my period, I continue to workout, though I usually feel more tired. If I stop working out for more than a day I have a really hard time getting back into it. Also, I find that even on days I really, really, REALLY don't want to workout, if I just tell myself that I'll just go do a very gentle bike session or walk slowly. Inevitably, if I can just get myself started, I'll kick it into high gear and feel tons better afterward. :)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

Well, for some of us it's the worst pain you can experience (other than childbirth). I would say take some ibuprofen (I take 800-1000 mg - its a prescription) and try to do something. Even a little bit of a walk will help.

I had uterine fibroids for about 10 years. Toward the end, just prior to having surgery a couple years ago, I was practically hemorrhaging, had to go on iron pills for anemia, bled for 29 days straight, and could barely get out of bed some days. Working out did NOT happen! So...for some folks it's not just a little annoyance :huh:
  • RunTheDay
    Options
    I agree with everyone else!! Get up and move! I get sooooooo exhausted the week before mine that it is hard to get up and do anything, but I do, and I ALWAYS feel better . It sucks, but I guarantee that you will be glad you did it. Working out at that time will give you more energy in the end :)
  • brittanidigby
    brittanidigby Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I always workout on mine.
  • nikkijoshua
    nikkijoshua Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I still exercise during my period even though I don't feel like it, but once I get started, I actually feel better. Working out seems to relieve the pain and discomfort. After the workout is over, the discomfort comes back though, but at least for that hour or so that I'm exercising, I feel better. During the first couple of days of my period, I'm tired and I just don't want to get out of bed, but I make myself do it anyway.
  • ltwist16
    ltwist16 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would talk to my doctor if you are having pain like that every month, I did and I don't have those problems after going on birth control, and for a while I had a stronger Rx for the pain. I have read and in my personal experience working out really helps your mood and the body aches.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I think you have to go exercise! No excuse! :-)
  • fteale
    Options
    Perhaps you should speak with your healthcare provider about the symptoms you are having.

While I agree it's always worth getting things checked out, I don't think her symptoms are in any way out of the ordinary. Most people feel pretty grotty on their period, I know people who faint, throw up, all sorts of things. Period pains can be very severe if that's the way you are.