Exercise when you have your period

Options

Replies

• sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Before I started exercising, I used to get very painful periods. Getting out of bed on certain days were hard, but I gradually started losing weight and kept exercising during and it very much helped. Now, my cramps are gone, my period is very regular and I don't get too much issues of blotting that people talk about during this time. I know it is painful, but start slowly. Start by taking small walks...listen to your body...and if you are up to it, then increase the intensity and duration of your workouts during these times. Good luck.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I have gave birth to a 10lb 5oz baby with NO drugs and let me tell you, that was the most excruciating thing I have ever done. But I was up and walking 10 mins later. I even walked to my room. After having him (5 years ago) my periods have been awful! My best friend during that time is a heating pad. Just like with sore muscles, work through the pain. I swear by Excedrin Menstrual. Has caffeine to help with the headaches!
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Exercise actually helps the cramping so I work out during that time as well. It lightens mine up so thats a + :happy: I might not feel up to it but I do it anyways and feel better afterwards.
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    Try a tablespoon or two of black strap molasses for a month. Seriously helps with the energy level due to the iron content. You may just be lacking iron.

OMG I feel like such a dumb *kitten*! lol I have done this before I have this in my cupboard works well!
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I found that stretching really helps, I lay on my stomach and push up with my hands so my entire stomach is stretched. That only helps for stomach pain though, it doesn't help the back pain, vomiting or upset stomach that goes with it! :laugh: Doing the stretches helps me deal with the other horribleness though, so any reduction in pain is good.

One thing that has helped with the pain is using a mooncup, it hurts quite a bit less in my stomach, going from an 8 or 9 out of 10 to a 4 or 5 so that I can actually move. Also it shortened my period by a day so there's less pain time each cycle.
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I worked out last week with mine and yes, it was not fun but I DID IT and I lost 4 lbs! I agree with the pp...suck it up and go to the gym. Take some extra calcium and some Advil and do it. Soak in a hot epsom salt bath after and go to bed. You will start to feel better the more you exercise. I'm addicted to it almost it makes me feel so good.

^^^
    Precisely! Once you get used to pushing through it, the rewards are great. Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Khadines
    Khadines Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I go during my T.O.M. and I suffer with alot of cramps..... When u keep ur body active the pain goes away.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I'm on the pill to deal with PMDD and the possibility of endometriosis. Before the pill, I was lucky if I got one good week out of a month. Now I get maybe one bad day.

I still try to workout during, even if it's a small walk, just to keep myself in the routine of going.

I still allow myself little sweet treats since I think I deserve A LOT MORE just for dealing with this #*&$ every month.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Studies are now showing that women burn more calories during the TOM anyway, so it could very well boost your plan to do it. I think we can all agree that if you are having symptoms that are destroying your life for a few days, you need to go to the doctor. Otherwise, try working out, the worst that can happen is you find out it's not going to work for you, but you won't know unless you try!
  • dicars79
    Options
    I am really not trying to be mean but suck it up and go to the gym. We are women in the 21st century and we aren't sent to the red tent. It's just a little annoyance once a month. It will actually help you feel better.

Yep. I agree.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Oh and before, without the pill, working out wasn't an option because the cramps were so severe and I was so heavy (TMI). But that's lessened now.

I literally would jump or turn in zumba and then feel like passing out due to cramps and pain. It's not 100% yet, I still deal with horrible cramps, but I can now manage to make it through even on my period.
  • juliecarlile
    Options
    When I first got my periods I was in so much pain and so down and depressed. My mom passed away when I was young and so it was just me and my dad. I didn't feel like I really had any one to talk to about it. Then one day my dad said, "Why don't you try exercising, maybe it will help." I thought he was CRAZY! But I tried it and sure enough it helped my cramps to subside. I don't know if it will be the same for you, but maybe worth a try. Good luck hope you can work through it. I had stomach flu earlier this week and have been way off the bandwagon. Time to get back on today :)
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I just suck it up, take painkillers if I have to and just get on with it, I refuse to be ruled by something so irrelevant.

What I do is to I tell myself firmly that I'm not ill, I'm not injured, so the pain can and should be ignored - and that whether I exercise or not it's going to hurt anyway, so I may as well damn well get on with it.

Besides, exercise often relieves the pain.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Get over it and go to the gym.

"Exercise and PMS

Regular aerobic exercise can help ease premenstrual symptoms. During the luteal phase of our cycles (i.e., the second half), endorphin levels in the blood and brain drop. Endorphins are opioid (painkilling), euphoria-producing chemicals produced naturally in our brains and released in high quantities during certain activities, such as orgasm. We can also increase our body’s production of endorphins and other natural analgesics by increasing our heart rate and oxygen exchange through regular aerobic exercise. Studies have shown that consistent exercise reduces symptoms of PMS, possibly by boosting levels of dopamine as well as endorphins, and — like natural progesterone — enhancing GABA activity.

Exercise likewise boosts our detoxification capabilities, pumping up the cleansing action of the lymph system and ridding our body of toxins and excess hormones through sweat. In addition, exercise increases our metabolic rate, encouraging the body to burn fat for energy, thereby assisting us to maintain a healthier hormonal balance.

These days, with so many women working sedentary jobs, driving everywhere, and too maxed-out to find time for exercise, it’s easy to overlook the fact that we’re biologically preprogrammed to move our bodies — not just a little, but a lot! Our biochemistry needs activity to stay fit, just like our muscles do."

http://www.womentowomen.com/menstruation/understandingpmsandpmdd.aspx
  • twogungal
    Options
    I don't have any solutions, except maybe go and do as much as you're comfortable with. I also have endometriosis that presents as pleuritic pain so just breathing hurts like the ****ens when I'm on my period. I have a heavy flow too. Haven't seen that mentioned in this thread yet, but I have a heavy flow and tampons make my cramps worse. I totally agree that exercise is the best medicine, but its reallllly hard when you feel like you're gonna leak all over the machines at the gym. Best of luck to all my fellow perioders and endometrosis pain sufferers.
  • jesscaponigro
    jesscaponigro Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I usually do yoga if I am crampy or have a headache, otherwise I suck it up and get it done. They say exercising is supposed to help with cramping.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I played sports in high school and you couldn't skip practice or an event because you had your period, so I just learned to push through it. I always have one day that is intensely awful so I don't usually exercise that day. That said, I always find that when I don't give in to the cravings during my period that I show a good loss after it's over! Good luck!
  • kayleen_longworth
    kayleen_longworth Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I found that stretching really helps, I lay on my stomach and push up with my hands so my entire stomach is stretched. That only helps for stomach pain though, it doesn't help the back pain, vomiting or upset stomach that goes with it! :laugh: Doing the stretches helps me deal with the other horribleness though, so any reduction in pain is good.

One thing that has helped with the pain is using a mooncup, it hurts quite a bit less in my stomach, going from an 8 or 9 out of 10 to a 4 or 5 so that I can actually move. Also it shortened my period by a day so there's less pain time each cycle.

"Moon cup" - Yes - so worth it to try it. Anything nonchemical will most likely help to reduce pain and flow. I use cloth pads and don't have any issues. My cramps are half what they used to be, and my flow is so much lighter. Saves money too in the long run. I plan to invest in a Diva Cup soon, as summer is coming and I hope to spend some time in the water.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    The only thing that has helped my periods is running. And yes, I have had horrible periods my whole life. The cramps, very heavy bleeding, swelling up so much it hurt to breathe, back and cramps. Could barely walk for three days, and the period would last up to 10. Even codeine didn't touch it the pain. But running has made my periods normal. I can actually go out and do things. I can actually forget that I even have my period. It is incredible!

Pam
  • TayaKrasikova
    Options
    Thank you for the advice.
    Just a thought like that: maybe not all of us but generally speaking you girls are so tough. How wonderful would be to see guys at the gym with their period working out through the pain and discomfort and sprinting to the bathroom making sure you didn’t stain you pants. hihi
    And for the very tough ladies out there. For someone with a six pack not being able to exercise is pretty hard. and walking and jogging just doesn’t fill the empty depressing feeling. Although a big blanket and a hot chocolate does. perhaps ibuprofen sounds like a good Idea thanks for that one.