What gets on your nerves the most about the boards?

Options

Replies

• Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    It's funny how 90% of the rude people are dudes showing their abs in their profile pictures.....MFP is very similar to FB...

^^^ this totally. Apparently bullies rule the internet too. It's the new playground, kids.

I find that those guys are the most knowledgeable about diet and fitness. They read actual scientific literature about the subject. I trust them much more than people who quote sources they found on Google.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    1) every time i post on a thread, it dies

I am a notorious thread killer myself.

For me, what sucks most about the forum is the sheer size. Any thread that isn't a debatable topic, a game or a virtual high-five fest disappears before it can even be seen. Boring threads need love too.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    People who assume google and/or random blog posts constitute science. People who state opinion as fact. Worst of all, people who spread misinformation.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    People who assume google and/or random blog posts constitute science. People who state opinion as fact. Worst of all, people who spread misinformation.

Can I get a AMEN???
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    AMEN.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    My biggest pet peeves are:
    1) ppl whom spew diet myths and dietary garbage with no scientific evidence to back up their misguided notions.
    2) Scale obsession with no regard towards body composition.
    3) Women& men whom automatically gun for 2 lbs/wk loss when they only have 10 or 15 lbs of fat to shed.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    1320965117exhausted.gif

And people who post images. Can't stand those folks...
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    It's funny how 90% of the rude people are dudes showing their abs in their profile pictures.....MFP is very similar to FB...

^^^ this totally. Apparently bullies rule the internet too. It's the new playground, kids.

I find that those guys are the most knowledgeable about diet and fitness. They read actual scientific literature about the subject. I trust them much more than people who quote sources they found on Google.

^^^^ :drinker:
  • I post a thread and receive 0 responses.

Someone else posts the 10th thread that day asking about exercise calories ...plenty of responses.

:sad: :sad:

Oh, yeah and I hate it when women say "I want to look healthy and curvy, not skin and bones"

:huh:
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I post a thread and receive 0 responses.

Someone else posts the 10th thread that day asking about exercise calories ...plenty of responses.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/448625-reasons-why-no-one-responded-to-your-topic :flowerforyou:
  • reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Sensitivity and Personal attacks are my biggest pet peeves. If we all:
    -Treat others with respect we will get respect.
    -Realize that celebrities are fair game when it comes to scrutiny, it comes with the job and they know it.
    -Let people have their opinions even if we don't like it as long as it isn't a personal attack.
    -Realize people need to vent, even if it seems trivial to many of us.
    -Realize that MFP is for ALL people who want to get fit, not just those who need to lose weight.
    -Have a little more tolerance.
  • I post a thread and receive 0 responses.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/448625-reasons-why-no-one-responded-to-your-topic :flowerforyou:

I read that prior to posting the thread....something must be wrong with my reading comprehension then. lol
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    1) every time i post on a thread, it dies

2) when i post scientific fact, people tell me that their study (which is not a scientific one) is the better one and that I dont know what Im talking about ---- nevermind the fact that I actually am a biologist

3) critisizing my wine intake! I know I like wine, I dont need you reminding me of that. Mention that I drank wine today/ yesterday is most likely going to make me realize my glass is empty and i forgot to refill :)

is there a like button for #3
  • yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    People complaining that they aren't seeing any results when they are clearly undereating
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    people who have opinions on subjects that they know nothing about
  • Sheila1968
    Options
    I did not read all 42,000 posts on this topic, but my biggest annoyance with MFP is how it says, "If every day were like today, you'd weigh XXXX in 5 weeks" and yet I DO stay within the guidelines and haven't lost anything, just go up and down the same 3 pounds. And I've been tracking my food and exercise for years, so don't jump on me for expecting results in 2 days.
  • Nikkiray32
    Options
    Since I started MFP, I have been addicted to the boards and they've helped motivate me. Here lately, I'm seeing a lot of posts about people talking about what they should do if a friend on here is doing this or that (mostly losing too much or eat too little or even eating junk).

Firstly, this gets on my nerves because it's almost common sense. If there is someone out there that is eating 500 cal a day, informing them (in a polite way) that it's unhealthy is advisable (note: the cost [them getting mad] does not outweigh the benefits [you could help someone who needs it and may not realize what they are doing is bad for them].

Everyone is making comments about how MFP is about helping others, but starting a board post and ranting about it isn't really helping them.

And if I want to eat McDonalds three times a day one day, I don't think it's your place to tell me what is and isn't healthy. Maybe I didn't have enough money to buy anything more than a hamburger on the dollar menu. Maybe I forgot my lunch at home and there is no where else to get food in the amount of time I have to get food. Maybe I just wanted a dang hamburger!

Sometimes I think we should get off our high horses about what's healthy and what's not. I know we are all excited about eating right and knowing all this knew information and we want to share it, but belittling others and making it seem as if you know best is not the best way to do it.

Well said!!!!
  • cal1973
    cal1973 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    To be fair - mine is more a grammar thing, but its gotta be people who want to "loose" weight......
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Nothing really gets on my nerves anymore. If people are grossly misinformed and won't listen to sound advice, then they're just one of those people who will have to learn the hard way. They'll figure things out eventually.

Besides that, I guess what I don't really like seeing is personal attacks, but why give it a second thought? Life is too busy and there are way too many important things that do need your time and energy to care.

I think people would benefit greatly on this site by realizing it's not their responsibility to change people. It's important for people to be heard and throw their perspective and two cents in, but if people don't take what you say to heart or agree with you, that's their right too.

To each their own.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Sensitivity and Personal attacks are my biggest pet peeves. If we all:
    -Treat others with respect we will get respect.
    -Realize that celebrities are fair game when it comes to scrutiny, it comes with the job and they know it.
    -Let people have their opinions even if we don't like it as long as it isn't a personal attack.
    -Realize people need to vent, even if it seems trivial to many of us.
    -Realize that MFP is for ALL people who want to get fit, not just those who need to lose weight.
    -Have a little more tolerance.

sorry but celebs still shouldn't be fair game to anything they are people with feelings,families, death, disease, they just chose a different profession but I do agree with the rest.