Guys who find curvy girls more attractive...

Options
well, my boyfriend sort of dropped a bomb on me today, it made me have to reevaluate what I believed men considered attractive. I always figured guys were with me because of my personality or something, but my boyfriend very plainly said he likes curvy, soft-looking girls, and gave the out-of-nowhere example of Thora Birch in Ghost World. It's funny, because her body type in that movie is my body type. I figured guys like girls skinnier than that. But Jordan said she got less hot once she lost a bunch of weight. !? Same with Christina Ricci? I mean it's not like he finds skinny women unattractive (for instance Scarlett Johansson) I guess he just likes them all cleavagey. And he said that's 'the norm'. (disclaimer, my boyfriend is of the cool nerd variety.)

I assumed guys wanted girls to have flat stomachs, to be toned, slender, with B cups. It just seems weird to LIKE it when girls are chubbier. First of all, this sort of weakened my resolve to lose weight (the fantasy of me weighing 125 pounds and him being like "YOU LOOK SO BEAUTIFUL I LOVE YOU" sort of died) but also makes me wonder if I've read guys wrong all along.

So has anything like this happened to you, too?

Guys, what EXACTLY is the kind of preferred body type? What features do you tend to like and dislike?

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I assumed this all throughout high school. I had a great body then, very curvy (started at the age of 10) but I thought I was fat because I wasn't super-skinny like the other girls. Once I got to college where women tend to fill out more--and even in grad school where some people REALLY fill out-- I found that men like all different body types when they're attached to a confident girl with a nice personality. Personality aside, most men like women with shape, although some like the super-waif look.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I dated a guy like this. He genuinely preferred me in the 140s or 150s range rather than the 120s. The woman he later married was over 160 pounds when they started dating. She's beautiful no matter what size she is, though. Some women just are. We didn't break up because I lost weight, by the way. I broke up with him, and it was a completely unrelated reason.

If you were around the weight you are now or when you started dieting when you two met, it makes sense, he likes you the way you look, so it's probably part of why he's with you in the first place.

Some people will say men who like curvy women are insecure or whatever, and that may be true of some, but I don't think it's true of all or maybe even most men.
  • twanthe1
    twanthe1 Posts: 407
    Options
    I think most men are attracted to curves.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I prefer curvy women. Let me be clear in stating curvy is not obese. I prefer them around my build which is to say 10-20 lbs over. Smaller women are ok but as i'm a bigger guy, I have a feeling I'd break them.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I think most men are attracted to curves.

I personally like veins :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I like them breathing and with a pulse... unless I'm feeling frisky that day then anything is game! :wink:
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Doesn't really matter that much to me... I can find both attractive if the person is attractive to me in other ways....
  • InvictusPheonix
    InvictusPheonix Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    the love-of-my-life has an extremely low bodyfat percent (he's the long and lean type) so naturally, he likes that i'm on the leaner/taller side too.
    BUT, my best friend in the entire world (male) is a spec ops military guy (so also in shape) but he prefers women who are generally between 5'1" and 5'6" and probably 140-190 pounds (curved/a little on the "softer side")

Both guys are good looking (in my opinion) and athletic, but have vastly different preferences!!
  • Myndi73
    Myndi73 Posts: 270
    Options
    Quite a few of my male friends prefer thicker women with curves. It's just what they like. Everyone is different.
  • kimclaws
    kimclaws Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    there is a type for everyone, after working in a Gentlmans club for 4 years, I have seen it all. there are tall guys who like tiny women , short guys who like tall women, men who like overweight women, some like toned muscular, and some like anorexic looking ones, there are men who prefer tiny breasts, men who like big ones. Its all in who you talk to. And for the most part the very thin girl made less money than the curvy ones, as long as it was a sexy curvy and not a fat dimpled, cellulite curvy. My husband likes me how i am but i want a six pack, so he will just have to deal for a while lol .
  • tanyar32
    Options
    I like them breathing and with a pulse... unless I'm feeling frisky that day then anything is game! :wink:

hahaha must say this made me giggle, its my opinion on what most men like Lol
  • paul7799
    paul7799 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I feel so shallow . . . I find curves very, very, sexy. But I think it's just how a lot of us (guys) are and a lot of it has to do with biology and brain sex. Curves mean fertility, etc, which at the end of the day is what drives us all to find a mate if we want kids or not. It's always lurking in the background.

I would say he's with you because of a mix of how you look and who you are. Afterall, I bet he saw you before he talked to you. It doesn't make you any less valuable inside. You're, well, you're just attractive weight loss or no weight loss.

Loose what weight you feel you have to if you like for you, feel good. Please feel good about yourself.
    I'm on here becaue I don't think curves are sexy on a guy, namely me. I want more confidence and energy.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Slutty was my usual cup of tea...and A.
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    I'm curvy and I was like you... I thought guys would just NORMALLY like the skinnier girls... but overwhelming I've been told they like the curves... and it correlates to the attention that I get... which sometimes is nice and sometimes is a pain!! :laugh:
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    I just really, really liked this response :drinker:
    I feel so shallow . . . I find curves very, very, sexy. But I think it's just how a lot of us (guys) are and a lot of it has to do with biology and brain sex. Curves mean fertility, etc, which at the end of the day is what drives us all to find a mate if we want kids or not. It's always lurking in the background.

I would say he's with you because of a mix of how you look and who you are. Afterall, I bet he saw you before he talked to you. It doesn't make you any less valuable inside. You're, well, you're just attractive weight loss or no weight loss.

Loose what weight you feel you have to if you like for you, feel good. Please feel good about yourself.
    I'm on here becaue I don't think curves are sexy on a guy, namely me. I want more confidence and energy.
  • klmnumbers
    klmnumbers Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I think this is common, honestly. Like there was some article recently about the women that most married men would like to have an affair with, and they're mostly of the curvy variety (Katy Perry, Sofia Vergara), but some of the thinner/waif ladies sneak in there, too.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    I love a curvy girl!
    Skin and bones?
    No thanx!
    I feel that 15-20% body fat on a woman is perfection!

Personality is 100% though.
  • oberon0124
    oberon0124 Posts: 10,527 Member
    Options
    I'm curvy and I was like you... I thought guys would just NORMALLY like the skinnier girls... but overwhelming I've been told they like the curves... and it correlates to the attention that I get... which sometimes is nice and sometimes is a pain!! :laugh:

So now I am a pain???
  • lgammy
    lgammy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    There have been men attracted to me at every weight/size I have been. Different men find different things attractive and each man finds a range of things attractive.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I could give a *kitten* what men think,they either like me or they dont im not going to kill myself trying to be anything other than I am. I get hit on fairly often so I must be someones type lol