Nobody has noticed

Options

Replies

• eadevore
    Options
    The most important thing is that YOU notice. Keep up the good work.
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that it takes 4 weeks for you to notice, 8 weeks for friends to notice, and 12 weeks for the rest of the world. Maybe these guys need the 12 weeks, and then all of a sudden, you'll have compliments flying at you from everywhere!

Congrats on your loss!
  • Missnurse89
    Options
    Maybe some people feel like its rude to mention that, I know sometimes though someone means well comments about weight loss can come out sounding like a backhanded comment. Esp when you didnt lose drastic weight loss like 50 lbs or so. But as long as you notice and you feel great let that be what shows! Keep it up!
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Good Job!!! Maybe people are just worried that they will be saying you lost weight and hurting your feelings?
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that it takes 4 weeks for you to notice, 8 weeks for friends to notice, and 12 weeks for the rest of the world. Maybe these guys need the 12 weeks, and then all of a sudden, you'll be compliments flying at you from everywhere!

Congrats on your loss!

VERY GOOD POINT!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    You are doing this for yourself, right? You're making changes for a healthier lifestyle, right? Doesn't matter what anyone says or thinks. It is nice when others notice, granted. However it also can be a curse. I long for the day when no one comments any longer. I look forward when the topic of my weight loss is no longer front and center.
  • cherrytulips
    Options
    I once had a friend who lost 60 lbs and none of us noticed. I felt awful! Sometimes we lose it in less obvious ways (her face, which was the most visible, really hadn't changed that much, and her clothes hid the rest).

Also, people may be uncomfortable asking, since by asking it implies that you maybe needed to lose weight in the first place.
    that's why i don't like when people notice my progress... it makes me feel horrible for ever looking how i did before. i'm very ashamed of who i once was and i hate to acknowledge that i was ever at that weight.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I had lost almost 40lbs before anyone really said anything. I had some family who said something, but they knew I was losing weight (so I think they would have said something even if I didn't look very different to try and be encouraging).... It just takes time, don't feel to down if people don't say anything right away. Pretty soon they won't be able to stop giving you compliments :)
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I know that feeling, it was happening to me too. I've just now started really hearing positive feedback from those around me. I think it really depends on each body type and how they carry their weight.

And I can think of many times I've noticed someone is losing weight and not said anything.

Keep it up, there will come a point where everyone who sees you will be like "Are you losing weight or something???" :laugh:
    And that will present another set of worries, you will hit the "I HAVE to keep doing this now because everyone is watching me and will talk about me if I fail" stage!!
  • rebawagner
    rebawagner Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Are you doing it for them or you??? YOU feel good, YOU look good, YOU see a difference! Take this time to build YOURSELF up! YOU are doing amazing!!!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I had a co-worker refuse to admit that I had lost any weight until I was down by 30+ lbs. I told everyone what I was doing, and of course, week after week people would say something to me about it. But this one guy swore up and down that he couldn't see my weight loss. Then, one day, around 37 lbs lost, he stopped me and made a point to say that he could definitely tell. Everyone's perceptions are different. Give it a little time and people won't stop talking about it.
  • fatgirlzrule2
    fatgirlzrule2 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Before starting MFP a couple months ago, I was gaining weight and at my heaviest ever. A coworker asked how much I lost....when I told her I wasn't losing weight, she dind't believe me and insisted that I was losing weight. Now that I've lost 40 pounds, not a single person has noticed or said anything. LOL. Depending on how much you have to lose total I guess.....40 pounds on me isn't a huge difference, but now 40 pound loss on someone that started at 180--HUGE difference. Plus, people that see you often are the last to notice. Give it time. Also, we all wear uniforms where I work, and if you are in the same type of clothes every day, people probably won't notice.
  • Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    when i started no one noticed till th thirty pound mark i had overgrown the clothes i had , as a heavy person we dress to hide our bodies. Even now I still try to hide myself, its a mind set that is hard to change. keep up the good work it wont be long before your shopping at good will for smaller clothes. i was loosing at a nice rate it was pointless to buy brand new clothes.

^^ here here^^
  • Dawn3218
    Options
    Could it be a bit of the 'green eyed monster' - co-workers etc are a little bit jealous that you are doing so well??

You're doing great - keep it up :)
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Do this for yourself... NOT the attention. You will get noticed, but that shouldn't be the motivation. I don't want you to quit because nobody said anything. That is what almost always happens. Do it for your HEALTH!
  • ollie88bug
    Options
    I did not read through all the posts yet but I have friends who say I lost too much weight because they are jealous...maybe people are jealous so they don't say anything. Keep at it...it is worth it and you are worth it
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 pounds and no one has said anything except my family and my hubby. At first it irritated me, but then I realized, f#% em!
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I did not read through all the posts yet but I have friends who say I lost too much weight because they are jealous...maybe people are jealous so they don't say anything. Keep at it...it is worth it and you are worth it

I absolutely agree w/this!
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Often people HAVE noticed but are afraid to comment, because they're worried it might come across as rude or inappropriate...especially in the workplace when it comes to vocalizing something about your body.

This is exactly what I think. I have lost 23 lbs and no one has sad a thing to me except for my aunt. I have went down 2-3 sizes in jeans/pants so I know there is a huge difference. No one has mentioned my weight loss but they have been passing random compliments my way such as "I like the shirt you are wearing." or "Your make-up/ hair looks really nice. Did you do something different?". I take those compliments as they have noticed I am getting smaller however are afraid to say something so they just compliment me. However Christmas Day my aunt blurted out in excitement as soon as she saw me, "Are you losing weight? I can really see it here (points to my hips). You really look great. What have you been doing?"

At first it used to bother me, now I really don't care as much. I am not losing weight to get compliments. I am losing to get healthier and improve myself. Though I have to admit, receiving compliments from time to time is nice and motivational.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds and nobody in my family that I saw regularly noticed. Between Halloween and Thanksgiving I lost another 10 pounds, and hadn't seen any of my family during that stretch. On Thanksgiving they thought I looked like a completely different person. It's all a matter of time and perspective. People who see you on a constant basis won't notice a difference. It's the people you don't see often that will notice.

This is also why I take pictures of my progress every 30 days. While I don't notice the progress in the mirror on a day to day basis, being able to go back and see a picture of myself back last May when I was 50 pounds heavier, and compare it to now, the difference is dramatic.