Someone talk books with me, please!

Options
Jennyisbusy
Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
Most of these are female books, not romances or Nick Sparks, but I just can' picture men being really excited about them either. Anybody else read these:

I just finished 'Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen' and it was a really good story. (Don't worry it's not about diets or weight.) I'm from Georgia so that probably helped it's rating.

'Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet' started off a little slow for me but I had not read any reviews and had no clue where the story was going. I liked it so much I want to do more research about that timeframe.

'How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire' quirky love/vampire story that made me snort out loud a few times.

I am on book 5? I think of the Charlaine Harris's 'Dead' series - Trublood on HBO is based on these stories but the books are no where near as graphic as the show.

'Aurora Teagarden' mystery books by Charlaine Harris - quirky girl mystery stories.

'Island of Lost Girls' so WEIRD! but it was a welcome break from vampires. A giant rabbit kidnaps a girl.

'the Journey Home' I really cared about the characters, an Alzheimer's patient, a lost man, a teenager.

'These Things Hidden' GUT wrenching story about the choices a pregnant teen makes.

I could also use some recommendations for new reads - maybe something lighter and funnier?

Replies

• nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Options
    The latest TV Guide is a "MUST read".
  • annrum
    annrum Posts: 144
    Options
    The TV guide is only a *must read* if you watch TV ;-)

@OP. If you want light fantasy, try some of the 500 Kingdom books by Mercedes Lackey - variants on the traditional fairy tales & she writes strong female characters & the twist on the fairy tales are quite good.
    Charlaine Harris has another series as well, the 'grave' ones - main character can 'read' dead bodies & see what/how they died - a reasonable easy read :-)
  • IzzyandBri_mommy
    Options
    I just got a kindle i got the High heel murder series on it.. I LOVE it! The characters are funny, and I love mysteries.
    I love the True Blood books
    I also just started reading the Vampire Diaries they are kind of good.
  • missyfus
    Options
    I'm a teacher so I read what my students are reading, and man do I love it. It's not too taxing and some of the writing is fantastic. I would recommend The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins. She also wrote The Underland Chronicles, which I just started but are very entertaining so far.
  • likeaphoenix28
    Options
    Someone just let me borrow a copy of The Hunger Games. I'll be starting that tonight.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I've read all but the last few of the True Blood series. I liked the earlier ones better than the later ones.

If you want a good, light, funny read try the Stephanie Plum series by Janet vanovich. They are all numbered. The first one is One For The Money and is coming out as a movie next Friday with Katherine Heigel. There are 18 books in that series. It is definitely laugh out loud funny.

Nickel and Dimed was an excellent book about living as the poor do. The author actually lived the life of someone who was poor and working min wage jobs to make ends meet.

Animal Farm and 1984 are 2 books I think everyone should read. they are very interesting and easy to read but make poignant statements about the politics.

I really liked the Twilight series too but again, that's pure fluff.
  • pocurran
    Options
    I just finished reading Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa Lee. Very interesting as it's about being a girl growing up in China in the early 1800s, having her feet bound and what girls were taught and how they were treated back then. Much research went into the book by the author so it's a fascinating and enlightening read.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Options
    The TV guide is only a *must read* if you watch TV ;-)

@OP. If you want light fantasy, try some of the 500 Kingdom books by Mercedes Lackey - variants on the traditional fairy tales & she writes strong female characters & the twist on the fairy tales are quite good.
    Charlaine Harris has another series as well, the 'grave' ones - main character can 'read' dead bodies & see what/how they died - a reasonable easy read :-)

I picked up a 'grave' book at the library but took it back when I realized it was like the 4th one, so I may try again.
  • seekingthepatienceofjob
    Options
    Twilight? Bahahaha, no, im totally kidding!

Any Dan Brown book
    The Hunger Games (trilogy)
    The Odyssey (it can be challenging to read and analyze, but its very good)
    Diary of Anne Frank
    Any Charles ****ens book
    Airborne
    Hatchet

When I remember more books that I like, I will let you know!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Someone just let me borrow a copy of The Hunger Games. I'll be starting that tonight.

Just finished the second book. I'm very much enjoying them.

And to second Bahet the Stephanie Plum books are very good and Orwell is mandatory reading.
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Im not into anything Chick Flicky....but if you're up for an amazing intellectual fictional read: House of Leaves by Mark Z.
    Danielewski is an amazingly odd, quirky and original read!:tongue:
  • CurryGirl89
    Options
    I got a NookColor for christmas and the first thing I bought was "The Hunger Games". I LOOOOOVE reading (I just started college again so my fun reading will have to take a backseat for a while) I seriously recommend The Hunger Games though! They are making a movie about it too. Also, I've read a lot of Stephen King and Deaqn Koontz. Mary Higgins Clark is good too :)
  • janelle1993
    Options
    I love to read as well!!! I haven't read any that you've mentioned but some of them sound really good based on what you said. I love reading the classics, romance, biographies, basically anything I can get my hands on. LOL But the most recent ones I read are by Debbie Macomber which are romance but with others elements mixed into it that makes it a better read like the mystery she adds into it or the characters she brings in the are dealing with commonday problems like loss of a loved one, divorce, and the like so they're really good books to read. Also Shakespeare plays like King Lear which I really enjoyed!
  • seekingthepatienceofjob
    Options
    Wow, so I put the name of an AUTHOR, and it **** half of his last name!!!
  • CurryGirl89
    Options
    I'm a teacher so I read what my students are reading, and man do I love it. It's not too taxing and some of the writing is fantastic. I would recommend The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins. She also wrote The Underland Chronicles, which I just started but are very entertaining so far.

I am so glad you posted about Suzanne Collins other book(s) I will be buying them for my Nook tonight! I looove the Hunger Games :) WOOHOO teachers! I just started college again this week :)
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading THE ALCHEMIST by Paul Coelho. It is very short and a very good read. I've never read anything by him before, but I just put a bunch of his books on hold at the library because I enjoyed this book so much.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options

Animal Farm and 1984 are 2 books I think everyone should read. they are very interesting and easy to read but make poignant statements about the politics.

I read the part about Animal Farm and 1984 and thought "OMG!! I love those books!" Saw Twilight and I was let down by humanity...
  • oOoMicheleoOo
    oOoMicheleoOo Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    The 2 that I have read recently that stick in my mind are 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' by the same author as 'The Kite Runner' , about a female in Afghanistan. And also 'Prisoner of Tehran'. You can guess what that's about.
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    The most memorable book I've read in years (and I read 4 or 5 a month), is "The Same Kind of Different as Me". don't have it in front of me, so can't come up with the authors names, but look for it on Amazon. It is not something I would pick off the shelf to read, but it is unforgettable. It's a memoir of a homeless man and his perception of society, and societies' perception of the homeless in general, him in particular. You won't regret reading it. It's the kind of book you buy copies of to give to your friends! Tip: you will need a box of kleenex for the last 1/3 of the book.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Options
    I've read all but the last few of the True Blood series. I liked the earlier ones better than the later ones.

If you want a good, light, funny read try the Stephanie Plum series by Janet vanovich. They are all numbered. The first one is One For The Money and is coming out as a movie next Friday with Katherine Heigel. There are 18 books in that series. It is definitely laugh out loud funny.

Nickel and Dimed was an excellent book about living as the poor do. The author actually lived the life of someone who was poor and working min wage jobs to make ends meet.

I loved Stephanie Plum but got bored around book 10. I do want to see the movie though!

I read the twilight books, very fluffy :P I kept telling my husband "Their is no real sex and no real violence but I can't put it down."