Someone talk books with me, please!

Options

Replies

• jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Someone just let me borrow a copy of The Hunger Games. I'll be starting that tonight.

This series was hard for me to get into but I am glad I stuck it out. Once I got into it it moved pretty fast and I read all 3 in less than two weeks.

Amanda Hocking is a good writer. She is self published currently but you can get nook books on b&n.
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    If you like to talk books - check out www.goodreads.com I LOVE that site!!
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I've been reading "The Help." it's excellent.

Additionally, I've been reading "Eat this, Not THAT! Super Market Edition." It's very very informative for anyone looking to change their eating!!
  • ReverendJim
    ReverendJim Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My books are available on Kindle now (all but one): www.jimwcoleman.com - Enjoy!
  • oOoMicheleoOo
    oOoMicheleoOo Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    And how could I have possibly forgotten....

the one I bought for my 15 year old daughter several months ago that she can't stop talking about......To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (the best or one of the best stories I've ever read)

I read that in English in school ... quite a few years ago now ... and have read it a good few times since then. I also have the dvd which I keep going back to on a cold night. I adore that book. Also another great read, which I also read in school, is Brighton Rock by Graham Greene. Fantastic book
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I read and enjoyed Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet as well. For something lighter, I agree with young adult fare like The Hunger Games. I also loved Divergent by Veronica Roth, which is the beginning of another YA series. I thought Attachments by Rainbow Rowell was adorable, yet still intellectual. Good luck :)
  • himiller3
    Options
    I finished A Fire Upon the Deep recently, and am now reading the sequel, The Children of the Sky - Vernor Vinge... Sci Fi.
  • alishuman
    Options
    I am absolutely in love with Sarah Addison Allen's books - especially The Girl Who Chased the Moon and Garden Spells. Beautiful, beautiful prose and incredible story lines. (light fantasy/chick lit)

I adore vintage books and humor, so Donald Ogden Stewart's "Perfect Behavior" is one I read almost every year.

The Princess Bride book... is way better than the movie, and I loved the movie.

And... I have kids, and I read to them, even though the 'baby' is almost 10. We just finished reading My Sparkling Misfortune by Laura Lond. It was a Kindle freebie. Now we're working on the sequel - My Royal Pain Quest. And, also kids, but awesome... the Septimus Heap series. I would seriously read any of these, even if I didn't have kids.
  • Netzie
    Netzie Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Two of my favorites:

poisonwoodbible.jpgmiddlesex.jpg
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Some recommendations from me, in no way a complete list and in no particular order:

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Betty Smith: could read this one over and over
    The Glass Castle - Jeannette Walls: poignant; couldn't put it down
    Garlic and Sapphires - Ruth Reichl: makes me laugh thinking about it
    The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger: way better than the movie
    The Historian - Elizabeth Kostova: non-sparkly vampires
    River God - Wilbur Smith: adventure, true love, blood, and not really a book men wouldn't like, but I love it
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I think I am the only one who didn't love girl with the dragon tatoo! The story was good but the female character was soooo over the top to me. and the names gave me a eyetwitch. lol

The lovely Bones was an AWESOME book - I read it with one hand over my face. lol

The Hunger Games has been promised to be in my hand soon *taps foot

Anyone read Virgin Suicides or Middlesex? Eugenides is the author - crazy good!!!

I need to come back with pen and paper to make a new list!!!!
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I've read some of the Aurora Teagarden mysteries.

From looking at your list, I think you would like the Aunt Dimity mysteries by Nancy Atherton.
    I'm about to start another Den of Antiquity Mystery by Tamar Myers.
  • truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Wolf Hall is fabulous, great in-depth study of the English reformation, Thomas Cromwell in all his glory, and very well written. Phillippa Gregory writes well too, like her 'Lady of the river' . ****ens never fails to evoke strong feelings it's true.
  • Netzie
    Netzie Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I think I am the only one who didn't love girl with the dragon tatoo! The story was good but the female character was soooo over the top to me. and the names gave me a eyetwitch. lol

The lovely Bones was an AWESOME book - I read it with one hand over my face. lol

Anyone read Virgin Suicides or Middlesex? Eugenides is the author - crazy good!!!

Middlesex is one of my favorites
    middlesex.jpg
  • oOoMicheleoOo
    oOoMicheleoOo Posts: 139 Member
    Options

i loved 'the lovely bones' too.... hated the movie, it ruined it. Also by Alice Sebold, if ytou havent already read it is 'Lucky'. Another fantastic book. Its about a rape victim. Told so well
  • truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    And don't forget the girl with the dragon tattoo and the followups.
  • angellew918
    angellew918 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

'How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire' quirky love/vampire story that made me snort out loud a few times.

I am on book 5? I think of the Charlaine Harris's 'Dead' series - Trublood on HBO is based on these stories but the books are no where near as graphic as the show.

I'm a HUGE True Blood fan!!! And I absolutely loved How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire!!! It was a really fun book! I have a Nook, so I find a lot of things at Barnes and Noble.com... and I found a series of three books that I really liked a lot! The Mating, The Keeping and The Finding! They were free ebooks, so I didn't have a lot of faith in liking the first one, but ended up LOVING it and couldn't read the other two fast enough!

I'm a very big reader. Very eclectic. Feel free to add me and we can talk books all the time! ;-)

Angela
  • SmallerBecky
    Options
    The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. (fiction) This is a story about a racecar driver told from the point of view of his dog. Unfortunately, I didn't really enjoy or get into the other two books by this author. I was sure I would love him after this book!

East of Eden by John Steinbeck (classic)

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (sci-fi)

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (classic)

Love Wins by Rob Bell (pastor of the church I attended for a few years) (EXTREMELY inspirational and makes you think and is NOT religious!). This is also the author of all the NOOMA videos.

Ishmael by Daniel Quinn (a crazy book, that's all I can say)

The Space Trilogy (three books) by C.S. Lewis (sci-fi that somehow involves God too)

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintanence by Robert M. Pirsig

There is no rhyme or reason to this list. These books are as different as they can possibly be from one another. They're just ones that have stuck with me since I read them. Some I have read multiple times.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    The 2 that I have read recently that stick in my mind are 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' by the same author as 'The Kite Runner' , about a female in Afghanistan. And also 'Prisoner of Tehran'. You can guess what that's about.

Greg Mortenson wrote these^^^^^ and Three Cups of Tea and Stones into Schools as well. Sue Monk Kidd's The Mermaid Chair was good. I started The Hunger Games but I found its parallels to life to depressing so I bailed halfway through number two. I will try t ofinish them in the summer. This summer onvacation I read Runing with Scissor: A Memoir by Augustine Burroughs. (if youare offended by rape or homosexuality it may offend you. It is an autobiography about someone who survive some real horror but it is very good. I also liked A Dog named Slugger by Leigh Brill. Hope one tof these works for you.
  • brindlechewy
    brindlechewy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Current Fiction: I also highly recommend The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns.

I aso read the Hunger Games (young adult) Book 1 was ok but I wasn't thrilled, are Books 2 and 3 any better, I might read them...Book 1 wasn't bad just a bit dragged out in parts I thought

Light and fun I would recommend anything by David Sedaris, very funny essays (Me Talk Pretty One Day, Dress Your Family in Corduroys, Hollidays on Ice, Barrel Fever, etc.)

Classic mystery: The Moonstone or The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

Other recommended fiction: She's Come Undone or This Much I Know is True both by Wally Lamb.

Memoirs: The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls or Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs.

Fantasy/Sci-i: His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman (Golden Compass, Subtle Knife and the Amber Spyglass

Favorite young adult: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (great for all ages)

My all-time favorite and a very funny read: A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

I thought I was the only person who liked The Woman in White! I enjoyed it because it wasn't full of gratuitous sex and vulgar language like so many modern mysteries are. I liked how Collins developed the relationship between the three protagonists. Count Fosco was also menacing and creepy. His Dark Materials are good as well; however, the second and third books were increasingly bitter towards the Catholic church. I'm not a religious person at all, but it made me feel jaded to see the fantasy of the first book devolve into vitriol as the trilogy concluded. It was especially jarring because the first book was clearly for children--it was a relatively simple adventure involving a little girl and her "pet," for lack of a better word. The change in tone in the other books, especially the third, really threw me for a loop.