Someone talk books with me, please!

Options

Replies

• yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    im on the Hunger Games right now. My son is in junior high and seems to really enjoy it when I read the books he is and we can talk about the COOL stuff.
  • oOoMicheleoOo
    oOoMicheleoOo Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa Lee. Very interesting as it's about being a girl growing up in China in the early 1800s, having her feet bound and what girls were taught and how they were treated back then. Much research went into the book by the author so it's a fascinating and enlightening read.

Oh my kind of book. I love to read how others live in different countries with different traditions.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend Craig Ferguson's books... Both "Between the Bridge and the River" and his autobiography "American On Purpose" are insightful yet hilarious. He's very candid about his life, and the fiction book (the first one) is an easy read but very good as well.

Yes, it's the same guy as the late night talk show host and comedian.

I have a degree in literature and have a ton of different types of books I can recommend, as long as I know what you're interested in at the core. Anyone that's interested can add me if you like.
    Lynn
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Someone just let me borrow a copy of The Hunger Games. I'll be starting that tonight.

Hunger Games was good. Waiting for the second and third ones in paperback.

@OP I was going to read the Harris series but hadn't gotten into them yet.

And I'm a guy.. so yeah to the rest of them.. LOL
  • GaynorLee
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm such a bookworm! :smile:
    My favourite authors are: Chris Kuzneski (Payne & Jones main characters), Andy McDermott (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase main characters), Scott Mariani (Ben Hope series) but just bought his first 2 Vampire Federation books... Matthew Reilly (Capt Jack West series), Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child (together or solo projects), Raymond Khoury, Dan Brown (most of them), James Patterson (Alex Cross series) and I've also read Charles Brokaw, and Michael Cordy.
    They're all pretty similar-religious/conspiracy, thriller, ex-military...love action-type reads.
    I love to get lost in the story, and see the characters develop/grow in subsequent books...you build up quite a "fondness" to them I think.
    :glasses: Happy Reading
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    The 2 that I have read recently that stick in my mind are 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' by the same author as 'The Kite Runner' , about a female in Afghanistan. And also 'Prisoner of Tehran'. You can guess what that's about.

Loved these!!
    Would also recommend the Girl with Dragon Tatoo Triology. Excellent reads!!!

Just finished The Long Run, by Matt Long. True story. Very inspirational if you are a runner.

Currently reading "Cutting with Stone" - sorry can't remember the author's name.

Also would recomment Sarah's Key. :happy:
  • twoscimitars
    twoscimitars Posts: 272 Member
    Options

Animal Farm and 1984 are 2 books I think everyone should read. they are very interesting and easy to read but make poignant statements about the politics.

I really liked the Twilight series too but again, that's pure fluff.

I read the part about Animal Farm and 1984 and thought "OMG!! I love those books!" Saw Twilight and I was let down by humanity...

Entertainment doesn't need to be intellectually stimulating to be enjoyable. Sometimes you need some fluff to get your mind off of things. I'm pretty sure the original poster wasn't suggesting them for Pulitzer Prize nominations. :)
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I HIGHLY recommend World War Z to everyone. It's by Max Brooks and is written as a series of fake interviews conducted after a world wide zombie apocalypse. It may sound silly but trust me it's not, every single person I've coerced into reading it has absolutely loved it.

It'll be a movie soon with Brad Pitt, so once that happens we're screwed.
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Best book I've read in a long time: Stephen King's 11/22/63

Currently reading: Neal Bascomb's The Perfect Mile (about the race to break the 4:00 mile barrier)
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'm a fantasy girl:

Black Jewels series
    Green Riders series
    Daughter of the Forest (so so good, and romance that doesn't make you want to vomit)
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    i just finished reading "The Art of Racing in the Rain" it is a touching story about a dog and his owner as they go through a difficult time. it is light in parts and a little heavy in others, but overall was a good fun read.
  • bshedwick
    Options
    I HIGHLY recommend World War Z to everyone. It's by Max Brooks and is written as a series of fake interviews conducted after a world wide zombie apocalypse. It may sound silly but trust me it's not, every single person I've coerced into reading it has absolutely loved it.

It'll be a movie soon with Brad Pitt, so once that happens we're screwed.

Awesome book. Looking forward to the movie
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Love the Charlaine Harris "Grave" series AND the Hunger Game. Other good reads:
    The Help
    Beach Music (or anything by) Pat Conroy
    The Lovely Bones
    Memory Keeper's Daughter
    Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Society (yes, really! it's awesome!)

Those are a few suggestions based on what you said you liked. Enjoy!
  • Pete1471
    Pete1471 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher so I read what my students are reading, and man do I love it. It's not too taxing and some of the writing is fantastic. I would recommend The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins. She also wrote The Underland Chronicles, which I just started but are very entertaining so far.

I'm just about to read the first of The Hunger Games series as I want to read the book before I see the film version of the book.
  • bshedwick
    Options

Would also recommend the Girl with Dragon Tatoo Triology. Excellent reads!!!

Just finished The Long Run, by Matt Long. True story. Very inspirational if you are a runner.

+100% on the Millenium series. Great books.

I also recommend The Long Run. Very motivational book.
  • JoleneCooper
    JoleneCooper Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I like the "young adult" fantasy type books. If you're looking for a good series like Twilight or the Sookie Stackhouse books you would probably become obsessed with Vampire Academies. If I were a vampire, I'd want to be in those books.
    Thanks to everyone on here I'll be reading Hunger Games next on my Kindle!
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options

Reading this now and LOVING it!
  • bshedwick
    Options

Reading this now and LOVING it!

How far in are you?
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I'm on book #6 of the Saxon Tales by Bernard Cornwell. Great series if you like historical fiction. He has a million other books I'd like to read!
  • keywestsunset
    keywestsunset Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I really like Elin Hilderbrand. They are not light and funny but they are really good. All her books take place on Nantucket Island, usually about a woman needing time away to reflect on something that has happened in her life. They are all different somehow tho