Someone talk books with me, please!

Options

Replies

• TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I think I am the only one who didn't love girl with the dragon tatoo! The story was good but the female character was soooo over the top to me. and the names gave me a eyetwitch. lol

The lovely Bones was an AWESOME book - I read it with one hand over my face. lol

The Hunger Games has been promised to be in my hand soon *taps foot

Anyone read Virgin Suicides or Middlesex? Eugenides is the author - crazy good!!!

I need to come back with pen and paper to make a new list!!!!

i loved 'the lovely bones' too.... hated the movie, it ruined it. Also by Alice Sebold, if ytou havent already read it is 'Lucky'. Another fantastic book. Its about a rape victim. Told so well

"Lucky" is about what happened to the author. I completely agree about the movie!! Its one thing to change a few things but to completely destroy the ending!? Totally ruined the whole movie!
  • jack758
    jack758 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Art of racing in the rain was AWESOME. I thought as good as Marley & Me. Different, but good
  • TripleJ3
    Options
    Double post
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed the Sookie stackhouse books. another fav of mine is the Eragon series

i love all the Sookie books and I also love the Anita Blake books and the brotherhood series by JR Ward. I'm a vamp fan...LOL
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • TripleJ3
    Options
    I think I am the only one who didn't love girl with the dragon tatoo! The story was good but the female character was soooo over the top to me. and the names gave me a eyetwitch. lol

The lovely Bones was an AWESOME book - I read it with one hand over my face. lol

The Hunger Games has been promised to be in my hand soon *taps foot

Anyone read Virgin Suicides or Middlesex? Eugenides is the author - crazy good!!!

I need to come back with pen and paper to make a new list!!!!

I never read the Dragon Tattoo trilogy because I heard so many bad opinions on it! I finally decided since they are making a movie I might as well go for it. I am on the third book. I like them but I loved The Hunger Games much much more.
  • TomsGirl86
    Options
    I am a total book geek...i love nearly all of them.

I thought the Game of Thrones series was amazing!

Yes, i've read virgin suicides, i saw the film first though.

Cecelia Ahern - P.S. I love you. Sobbed my heart out through this book, i have no idea what the film has to do with it as they changed everything, lol.

Richard Montanari, Dean Koontz, Karen Rose, Harlan Coben, Patricia Cornwell, Karin Slaughter, Richard Laymon...love them all.

Has anyone read Dorothy Koomson? Her books are incredible....female books though, i think. The Woman He Loved Before was brilliant.

I recently read the old Stephen King - Dark Tower series and i couldn't put them down. The first book was a little harder going but i flew through the rest.

Stephanie Meyer - The host was great

I couldn't put down The Help...really want to see the film now.

I've also just bought a kindle and i've downloaded all the classics, but i'm trying to get through my christmas books first. I have a massive wish list now after reading this thread, haha.
  • DisneySkaGirl
    Options
    One of my friends teaches 5th/6th grade mostly, so I get to borrow lots of YA books. I am about halfway through Matched, which anyone who liked the Hunger Games should give it a try.

Just read Graceling and Fire, which is a YA fantasy series. The thrid book comes out soon.

I have enjoyed Rick Riordan's follow up to Percy Jackson series, The Heroes of Olympus, as well as his Egyptian mythology series The Kane Chronicles.

My favorite series of all time is Cynthia Voight's Kingdom Novels.

Non YA, I have read all of Gregory Maguire's adult fantasy books, including the Wicked series, Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister, and Mirror Mirror.

For all of you who loved and/or hated the Twilight series, there is a spoof I enjoyed called Nightlight. Short but funny.
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm probably going to get hate mail for this, but I really didn't like the Millenium Trilogy. I tried to stick with it, I really did. It's a matter of taste I suppose.

I have five teens in the house, two of them 'proper' readers. They get books for birthdays and Christmas and they love it. I tend to read them when they're done. They're aimed at late teens, but they're actually rather good, lol. So far we've got through:

Percy Jackson & the Olympians Series by Rick Riordan (5 books)
    Heroes of Olympus: The Lost Hero (book 1) by Rick Riordan
    The Kane Chronicles: The Red Pyramid (book 1) by Rick Riordan
    A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket (13 books)
    The Demonata by Darren Shan (10 books)
    The Saga of Darren Shan by Darren Shan (12 books)

Book series' of my own that I'm wading through are:

Dark Hunter by Sherrilyn Kenyon (21 books to date)
    The Cassandra Palmer series by Karen Chance (5 books to date)
    The Kitty Norville series by Carrie Vaughn (9 books to date)
    Women of the Otherworld by Kelley Armstrong (12 books to date)
    The Darkest Powers Trilogy by Kelley Armstrong
    The Darkness Rising Trilogy: The Gathering (book 1) by Kelley Armstrong
    The Dark series by Christine Feehan (22 books to date)
    Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter by Laurell K. Hamilton (20 books to date)

As you can see from the list, they're mostly supernatural based. I've not yet read all of them. I still have about 15 left and of course more are being published all the time. I may never catch up!
  • alishuman
    Options
    Ooh, and if you like cozy mysteryies... I love the Cleo Coyle Coffeehouse Mystery Series.
  • TripleJ3
    Options
    I also liked Emma & Me by Elizabeth Flock
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Anyone else read Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter?
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Whoever recommended Hunger Games for you I think was right on. I just finished The Bean Trees by Babara Kingsolver and it was great. I love the Maisie Dobbs mystery series set just after WWI in Britian. My Nook is not working now and I really need a book. I love reading and my second favorite site aft MFP is Goodreads.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    HItchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is amazing too.
  • bshedwick
    Options

Fun book
  • MummyOfSeven
    Options

Fun book

Thought I'd be disappointed by the film, but I rather liked it :smile:
  • JoleneCooper
    JoleneCooper Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    For something light that will make you laugh out loud, I loved *kitten* My Dad Says by Justin Halpern.

He is pretty funny on Twitter too. @S***mydadsays - "***" really are "HIT" :) LOL
  • alishuman
    Options
    Anyone else read Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter?

Not yet... Just getting ready to read Pride & Predjudice & Zombies, once I finish my current read.
  • MummyOfSeven
    Options
    For something light that will make you laugh out loud, I loved *kitten* My Dad Says by Justin Halpern.

He is pretty funny on Twitter too. @S***mydadsays - "***" really are "HIT" :) LOL

Followed him on Twitter for a while, then bought Hubby the book. The TV series, however, is a pile of ****.
  • bshedwick
    Options

Not yet... Just getting ready to read Pride & Predjudice & Zombies, once I finish my current read.

Enjoyed Vampire Hunter, but could not get through P&P&Z. Maybe it was the reader of the audiobook...