Someone talk books with me, please!

Options

Replies

• shirerose
    shirerose Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i'm replying just so i can come back to this later!
    i'm on the third book of the hunger games series... (i know sooo many people are reading them right now so i'm not very original haha) but they are awesome!
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options

Not yet... Just getting ready to read Pride & Predjudice & Zombies, once I finish my current read.

Enjoyed Vampire Hunter, but could not get through P&P&Z. Maybe it was the reader of the audiobook...

I just got Queen Victoria...demon hunter, it's not so bad so far
  • oOoMicheleoOo
    oOoMicheleoOo Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    For something light that will make you laugh out loud, I loved *kitten* My Dad Says by Justin Halpern.

Is that the same as the tv programme ?
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Someone just let me borrow a copy of The Hunger Games. I'll be starting that tonight.

HUNGER GAMES!!!!

Also, Bossypants by Tina Fey had me laughing (hard) on every single page. She's brilliant!!
  • cgrout78
    Options
    Ooh, and if you like cozy mysteryies... I love the Cleo Coyle Coffeehouse Mystery Series.

Love those books, I have all of them. The Hannah Swenson books by Joanne Fluke are cute too, but the love triangle gets tiring after a while.
  • Netzie
    Netzie Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DenimDiva
    Options
    I am reading and in many cases rereading the classics. I got a NOOK for Christmas and was thrilled to see The Scarlet Letter and Oliver Twist were freebies! I also read a lot of inspirational fiction books.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I'm on book #6 of the Saxon Tales by Bernard Cornwell. Great series if you like historical fiction. He has a million other books I'd like to read!
    I will have to check these out
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Love those books, I have all of them. The Hannah Swenson books by Joanne Fluke are cute too, but the love triangle gets tiring after a while.

Someone tell me why every book has to have a love triangle and it's always a girl choosing between two dudes!? Any guy who strings two girls along is a jerk but when it's a woman doing it all you ladies think it's terribly romantic...
  • Lindy901
    Lindy901 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I just got Kindle Fire for Christmas. I've mostly been looking for free books. I'm a little behind on book authors because I usually pick up cheap books at garage sales. I just finished Water for Elephants and one by Lalita Tademy (I forgot the name; it's fiction/truth about her past ancestors who were slaves).
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Current Fiction: I also highly recommend The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns.

I aso read the Hunger Games (young adult) Book 1 was ok but I wasn't thrilled, are Books 2 and 3 any better, I might read them...Book 1 wasn't bad just a bit dragged out in parts I thought

Light and fun I would recommend anything by David Sedaris, very funny essays (Me Talk Pretty One Day, Dress Your Family in Corduroys, Hollidays on Ice, Barrel Fever, etc.)

Classic mystery: The Moonstone or The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

Other recommended fiction: She's Come Undone or This Much I Know is True both by Wally Lamb.

Memoirs: The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls or Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs.

Fantasy/Sci-i: His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman (Golden Compass, Subtle Knife and the Amber Spyglass

Favorite young adult: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (great for all ages)

My all-time favorite and a very funny read: A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
    Love this list. I read this thread from last page to first. There are some good book recommended later on. Yes I love Wilke Collins too. I love to read and need a good book now.
  • cgrout78
    Options

Someone tell me why every book has to have a love triangle and it's always a girl choosing between two dudes!? Any guy who strings two girls along is a jerk but when it's a woman doing it all you ladies think it's terribly romantic...

I did say it was getting old and tiring. I'm personally not a fan of that part of the book. I think she should just pick one already..

2 guys and a girl are always better than a 2 girls and a guy anyway ;)
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    For something light that will make you laugh out loud, I loved *kitten* My Dad Says by Justin Halpern.

Is that the same as the tv programme ?

I haven't seen anything on the TV program, but I believe its based on this book and Justin's Twitter.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Ooh, and if you like cozy mysteryies... I love the Cleo Coyle Coffeehouse Mystery Series.

I love the Hannah Swenson books! I was disappointed that she didn't choose yet, though. Of course now that MY preference for her is now working with his ex fiance, I'm wondering if Hannah will become a suspect again soon. That hasn't happened in a long time...
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorite books over the past year include:

Someone Knows My Name
    My Antonia
    Hotel on the Corner of Bitter & Sweet
    Major Pettigrew's Last Stand (Slow start, good ending)
    Water for Elephants
    The Book Thief
    A Reliable Wife
    The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
    The Art of Racing in the Rain
    Room
    Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
    The Shadow in the Wind
    The Wednesday Sisters
    A Stolen Life
    Still Alice
    The Wednesday Letters
    Girl in Translation
    Unbroken
    Molokai
    The Paris Wife
    Eat Pray Love
    Heaven is For Real
    Before I Go to Sleep
    In the Garden of Beasts
    What Alice Forgot
    Sister
    The Language of Flowers
    When Darkness Falls
    The Memory Keepers Daughter
    Caleb's Crossing
    The Kitchen House

The Steve Berry Cotton Malone Series
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I am a total book geek...i love nearly all of them.

I thought the Game of Thrones series was amazing!

Yes, i've read virgin suicides, i saw the film first though.

Cecelia Ahern - P.S. I love you. Sobbed my heart out through this book, i have no idea what the film has to do with it as they changed everything, lol.

Richard Montanari, Dean Koontz, Karen Rose, Harlan Coben, Patricia Cornwell, Karin Slaughter, Richard Laymon...love them all.

Has anyone read Dorothy Koomson? Her books are incredible....female books though, i think. The Woman He Loved Before was brilliant.

I recently read the old Stephen King - Dark Tower series and i couldn't put them down. The first book was a little harder going but i flew through the rest.

Stephanie Meyer - The host was great

I couldn't put down The Help...really want to see the film now.

I've also just bought a kindle and i've downloaded all the classics, but i'm trying to get through my christmas books first. I have a massive wish list now after reading this thread, haha.
    [HATED the first game of thrones book many many years ago and I'm shocked to find it sooo popular now....on an xmas note, have you read the one about the nun and the tree at rockefeller center? always a favorite but i didn't read any xmas books or stories this year.../quote]
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I just finished Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet and really loved it. Yes, it did start off slow, but I really liked the characters and learning more bout the ajapanese interment. Although I live in Canada and it was before my Tim, we experienced it here as well.

I belong to goodreads.com which is similar to Mfp except for book lovers. I'm challenging myself to read 100 books this year. If you decide to join, you can "friend me" Ceanne.

any books? or do you have to meet a list?
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed the Sookie stackhouse books. another fav of mine is the Eragon series

i love all the Sookie books and I also love the Anita Blake books and the brotherhood series by JR Ward. I'm a vamp fan...LOL

Anita Blake by LKH is awesome!! Kim Harrison is another good author with witches, vampires etc.
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    has anyone read pride and prejudice and zombies? or alice in zombieland?
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Still taking me a while to form a review because it was a little bizarre.