Is anyone that needs to lose 30+ pounds NOT using pills or c

Options
This is all I hear! Go get scripts for this or do this crazy diet program, you'll lose quick!

Is anyone here trying to make a lifestyle change? Not a quick weight drop then go right back to your old weight a year later? Even weight loss procedures have been recommended! I feel like Im alone on this where I am from. Pills seem to be the main stream...

Anyone here doing this with good honest hard work and not relying on some gimmicks?

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I'm using Jenny Craig but I'm also reading as much on healthy living as I can.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Most of the people here, including me, do it the healthy way. Most of us also frown upon diet pills, and fad diets. I've averaged less than a pound a week loss... But I feel strong, healthy, and I'm not starving!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Here here :) Although I'm almost at the end of my 35 lbs I'd be happy to support a "no pills or gimmicks" approach. :)
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm also going for a legit lifestyle change, not some gimmick! I'm using knowledge gained from a nutrition course that I took in addition to using MFP. So far, I've lost a couple of pounds, and I'm already feeling better about myself. I've got more energy, I'm sleeping better, and I don't feel like I need to eat constantly. Good luck to everyone else doing this the healthy way! We can do it!
  • FavoMilan
    Options
    Count me in. I'm new here, but I refuse to take pills or anything else that's "guaranteed to make you lose weight."
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    No pills and no gimmicks. I have to lose 70+ pounds to get into my "healthy weight". There is no point at doing fad diets and pills because it won't help you in the long run!
  • kyle0075
    Options
    Good! Im glad to hear it. I havent really used this site much til the last 3 weeks. I must say I like it alot. I guess I have been seeing the wrong posts about people talking about pills and such.

Thanks guys. Encouraging stuff.
  • Glassgal01
    Glassgal01 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are doing it the old way, right eating, and alot of exercise. Cut out all of the processed food, It's full of junk. Alot of determination and self awarness of why we eat- Maybe emotional eating for us. It's alot of hard work but very worthwhile in the long run and rewarding that you did it on your own. Self Empowerment!
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I think you will find most people are going for lifestyle change, not a quick fix. Since October of 2010, I have lost 65 lbs. Not quick, but it is gone just the same. It is hard work, but worth every bit of ot. Good luck in your journey.
  • jacobsonmandy
    jacobsonmandy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    What works for me is counting my calories and creating a calorie deficit proporional to my BMI not over eating and stopping eating when I'm full. Eat balanced meals with a good amount of fruits, vegetables, and lots of water. I'm not starving myself at all, just better control over what I eat. I also Walk/jog 60 or so minutes a day. So honestly eat better, moderate exercise has helped me a lot. I've 34lbs, and I have a while left to go...but I realized how unhealthy my eating habits were and I feel so much better now that I'm eating healthier and being more active.

This rule helps me:
    Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit <--This is where I am and will be for a while
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    No pills here...All lifestyle change....This isn't a diet for me....
  • BlondeLisa1
    BlondeLisa1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've done the pills and stuff and finally come around to doing it the right way- hard work and watching what I eat!

I've got 88 lbs. I'm losing. I'm using the Power 90 program and tracking my diet here.

Feel free to friend me and we can support each other through our journey!
  • apple2107
    Options
    I think almost everyone here choose the healthy way to lose weights, and that's why the success stories board is always so inspirational :O
    I don't get any access to weight loss pill or anything, and I doubt I would want to. I'm doing so well with exercising and changing my eating habit, I don't starve myself, but not overeating either, with a lot of green veggie and fruits. And I feel I'm getting much stronger by exercising daily.
    It's harder, but much more rewarding. And I'm sure everyone who commits to this way feels the same.
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    That's me too. I am looking to lose about 70 ish more lbs. I refuse to think of it as a diet, as to me that seems to be restrictive. I am choosing to make better choices and get out of my previous bad habits and establish a healthier lifestyle.
  • nikkilou1978
    nikkilou1978 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have done the Rx diet pills, made my blood pressure shoot out the roof! Still on blood pressure meds a year later, and I'm only 33. OTC diet pills make me sick and gittery. So now I am trying to do things the right way, the healthy way. And hopefully be able to get off these meds.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I've used Hydroxycut in the past, but I'm shoving all bottles aside this time. I've been eating better, counting calories, and pushing myself to get up and MOVE. Results so far for the first week and a half have been worth it. No pills this time; I'm going to do this myself.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    No pills here. My initial goal was to lose just about 25#. Not my total weight loss goal. One step at a time. My final goal weight is another 20# down.

My first lifestyle change was when I went from a standard American diet to a vegan diet two years ago. No weight loss, although EVERYONE kept telling me I was losing weight. The scale and my clothing didn't agree. But my cholesterol decreased from over 200 to 168 for the first time EVER. In fact, the first time my cholesterol was checked was at age 25 and was 204. My anemia disappeared without iron supplementation.

My second lifestyle change was to get up off the sofa and MOVE. That's when the weight loss started. I'm within 2# of my first goal and am excited! I will not go back. I still have a way to go. I want to increase my strength, build muscle, and I have set a goal of running in my first 5K this year. I have never run in my life. I'm starting, though, and am enjoying it.

I have dieted ever since my first child was born. I've gone up and down, but nothing has ever really worked because it was just a diet. It must be a lifestyle change.
  • mrskesler
    mrskesler Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    no pills here, either....
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers taught me how to eat better... I take supplements that are for general health, mainly vitamins. I am guilty of having tried "diet pills" in the past, but even my doctor says to exercise and make better food choices. I did lose 50lbs doing WW alone, no exercise, from May 1, 2006 - May 1, 2007, and of course I ended up putting it all back on over the next few years. So now I am using MFP and trying to eat mini meals throughout the day while counting calories and trying to add exercise into my life. Always looking for friends to share ideas with...
  • andreacord
    Options
    I'm using diet and exercise and have been since I started last year.