Is cottage cheese good or bad for you?

Options
jhehle
jhehle Posts: 88 Member
I asked my doctor this question at my last appointment and he said it is bad for you and i should quit eating it if i am trying to lose weight because any cheese is fattening???..........

However, everything thing i read says that its actually good for you so now i am confused. The packaging says its low in fat and very high in protein.. what are your thoughts and experiences?

I eat the Kraft Simply 2% cottage cheese (love it!! one of my fav foods) and its one of my favorite things for breakfast.

Replies

• TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I love it too since it has protein and is filling but usually the sodium is too high for me. :(
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Food is over fattening if you go over your calories. If you enjoy it and you can fit it in your calories, go for it.
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I eat it a couple of times a week and I've been losing. I make sure to only buy the small container and to only have 1 serving every couple of days. The protein is amazing.
  • lisabee77
    lisabee77 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That's a tough question and you will no doubt see many answers on this one. Think of a few (conflicting) things here. Any dairy product is made from milk, right? Milk is meant for...babies...to??? Help them gain weight. Using that theory, any dairy product is inherently designed to put weight on. However, cows can't make their milk low fat or non-fat by themselves. So why shouldn't it be good for you?
    That being said, I do eat cottage cheese - 1/2 cup every day. I believe that everything (almost) is okay in moderation. I think that cottage cheese is a good low-fat, low-carb high-protein option for a snack. Let's see what everyone else says.

...also note that unless your doctor is a dietitian, most MDs only get a few hours (if any) nutrition training for their degree.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I would find a new doctor
  • jhehle
    jhehle Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It's my primary care physician. Over all i am very happy with him, but i just do not agree with his statement on cottage cheese and like some one mentioned before, hes a PCP not a Nutritionist so im just wanting to see what everyone elses opinion was on cottage cheese and its benefits or downfalls.
  • PagalM
    PagalM Posts: 19
    Options
    What is supposedly bad in the cottage cheese is the casein (not sure if I spelled that right). I usually have cottage cheese with fruit for my morning snack. Studies have shown that diets high in casein of course will put on weight. Having it in minimal quantites is not bad. Watch the documentary that is on Netflix right now called Forks Over Knives. It touches on studies done that prove that low dairy, low meat and high plant has awesome effects on the body. I am trying to incorporate much more veggies and greens as a result of it and keep dairy/meat to a minimum.
  • brokenartist
    brokenartist Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I asked my doctor this question at my last appointment and he said it is bad for you and i should quit eating it if i am trying to lose weight because any cheese is fattening???..........

Quote from Lance Armstrong's website
    "No food has the power to make you lose weight, but cottage cheese could be among the most helpful options. Its low calorie count and stellar nutritional profile make it an ideal addition to a low-calorie diet plan, especially if you take care to balance it with servings of healthy foods from other main groups."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/455307-is-cottage-cheese-good-for-you-to-lose-weight/#ixzz1kOEazx9m

Im going to say that a if a 7 time Tour de France cyclist's website endorses the fantastic thing that is cottage cheese then it cant be bad for you....
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    its good for you and i love it but the salt is too high so i have given up for a while
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    I like cottage cheese on jacket spud with bakes beans, I buy the virtually fat free stuff, usually Asda smart price, about 31p, so good value too.
  • I asked my doctor this question at my last appointment and he said it is bad for you and i should quit eating it if i am trying to lose weight because any cheese is fattening???..........

However, everything thing i read says that its actually good for you so now i am confused. The packaging says its low in fat and very high in protein.. what are your thoughts and experiences?

I eat the Kraft Simply 2% cottage cheese (love it!! one of my fav foods) and its one of my favorite things for breakfast.

GOOD definitely good! i eat 1 pound everyday :D
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    It's a staple in my fridge.
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    That is ridiculous.. Find a new Dr.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I eat it every day. 4 oz along with 3 Triscuits. Great morning snack full of protein and gets through to lunch since I eat breakfast so early.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese is great. full of protein (more than Greek Yogurt) and low in fat. Just watch the sodium content and keep in mind you can get lower sodium versions.
  • TraceB
    TraceB Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Quote from Lance Armstrong's website
    "No food has the power to make you lose weight, but cottage cheese could be among the most helpful options. Its low calorie count and stellar nutritional profile make it an ideal addition to a low-calorie diet plan, especially if you take care to balance it with servings of healthy foods from other main groups."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/455307-is-cottage-cheese-good-for-you-to-lose-weight/#ixzz1kOEazx9m

Im going to say that a if a 7 time Tour de France cyclist's website endorses the fantastic thing that is cottage cheese then it cant be bad for you....

He might be getting a kick back from the dairy industry. If you listen to them we can't live without dairy. I have a son with an allergy to dairy so I know we can live without it. I know this is totally off the subject now... Sorry
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    0% low-sodium i.e 25% less Nordica is a good source of protein w/o having too much fat and is lower in sodium.

I'm a cheese-hater but once and a while I'll buy it and make my Strawberry Cheesecake Smoothie (cc, milk, strawberries and sweetener).
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Hood and Friendship both make "No Salt Added" versions. I couldn't stomache all the sodium before I found, these options. It is amazing, good for you and you need to find a new doctor for sure.

Both the above are 90ish calories for a 1/2 cup serving with 14-16g of protein and less than 100mg of sodium.
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I would find a new doctor

This.

When I was most successful with my weight loss I was eating a cup of 2% cottage cheese every day, either for lunch or for dinner. I ultimately lost 47 pounds doing this. (Note: It wasn't just the cottage cheese. It's no miracle food. But like many others have said, if you have the calories for it, eat it. It provides a crap load of protein and is one of the healthier alternatives, in my opinion.)
  • monty_williams
    Options
    If you're concerned about the calories, work it into your diet. There are low-fat and low sodium versions if you're concerned about that. The casein in CC is slow digesting so it provides a good source of high-quality, satiating protein. Alot of people, including myself, eat it or greek yogurt before bed to provide an extended supply of amino acids during their nightly fast (sleep).