Is cottage cheese good or bad for you?

Options

Replies

• hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I eat it almost every day for breakfast. There is nothing wrong with dairy unless you're allergic to it. I'd see a nutritionist for nutrition matters.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese. I eat it regularly, and I'm losing weight. Calories in<calories out, it doesn't matter what you eat. Barring health issues, it's that simple.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    You are all right and you are all wrong. The question was if cottage cheese is bad for you and yes it is because you are ingesting animal fat and protein. Animal fat causes heart disease and animal protein leads to cancer. This has been proven without a doubt unless you just don't want to believe science. Unless you are a bodybuilder, no adult needs that much protein (especially the pound a day member). The brain is the main user of carbohydrates and your body needs carbs to live and live well. But the right carbs are what's important (complex carbs - veggies, friuts, whole grains and legumes). Beans have more protein than you will ever need and tons of fiber and these are the reasons a veggie diet is the most healthy. With that said, carbs raise insulin which stores fat and unless you refrain from simple and processed sugars or don't curb your intake of these sugars you can't really lose weight. That's where cottage cheese comes in to play. It is an awesome food to go "carb free" but not a way to eat every day, because it is bad for you. The problem with all these issues is that it's extremely difficult to be healthy on the inside and outside (slim) at the same time because we are programmed to like the foods that are bad for you because they are so rich in energy (fat and sugar).
    Spoken like a true uninformed person. You might want to read research from after 1952. Animal fat does not cause heart disease, and animal protein certainly doesn't cause cancer. You do know mainstream science has completely debunked The China Study?

Oh, and insulin doesn't store fat. It transports glucose to the liver and muscles.
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    i get the one from trader joes - organic fat free cottage cheese , the one without soy! its so good and you can actually taste the difference between the cottage cheeses
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You are all right and you are all wrong. The question was if cottage cheese is bad for you and yes it is because you are ingesting animal fat and protein. Animal fat causes heart disease and animal protein leads to cancer. This has been proven without a doubt unless you just don't want to believe science. Unless you are a bodybuilder, no adult needs that much protein (especially the pound a day member). The brain is the main user of carbohydrates and your body needs carbs to live and live well. But the right carbs are what's important (complex carbs - veggies, friuts, whole grains and legumes). Beans have more protein than you will ever need and tons of fiber and these are the reasons a veggie diet is the most healthy. With that said, carbs raise insulin which stores fat and unless you refrain from simple and processed sugars or don't curb your intake of these sugars you can't really lose weight. That's where cottage cheese comes in to play. It is an awesome food to go "carb free" but not a way to eat every day, because it is bad for you. The problem with all these issues is that it's extremely difficult to be healthy on the inside and outside (slim) at the same time because we are programmed to like the foods that are bad for you because they are so rich in energy (fat and sugar).

wow.. where did you get your info from ? i think you need to re study it ! if you are trying to lose weight your body needs PROTEIN ...... RESEARCH IT ..
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Tell your doctor to go read some food labels - then use your common sense unfettered by the mythology of expert-elitism.

Doctors are not the demigods they fancy themselves to be. Yours clearly more so than most.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I asked my doctor this question at my last appointment and he said it is bad for you and i should quit eating it if i am trying to lose weight because any cheese is fattening???..........

However, everything thing i read says that its actually good for you so now i am confused. The packaging says its low in fat and very high in protein.. what are your thoughts and experiences?

I eat the Kraft Simply 2% cottage cheese (love it!! one of my fav foods) and its one of my favorite things for breakfast.

Get a new doctor who knows something about nutrition! Plenty of published research linking dairy products to lower body fat if you check PubMed. Having said that it is believed the calcium in dairy is a key player in the 'fat war' and cottage cheese is actually relatively low in calcium. You need to eat 1600ml to get your daily intake.
  • Pheeia666
    Options
    It is healthy for you but, people who eat more foods that are easy for the body to break down have a bigger waist line as compared to people who eat more solid food such as muesli bar compared to a person that eats a muffin etc
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Oh, so that's why there so many carnivores out there dying of cancer. I'll have to tell the tigers, and loins and bears, oh my, that they're doomed.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Um, am I the only one who eats full fat cottage cheese when I can actually find it in the shops? YUM!
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but your Dr is an idiot. No, I'm not a doctor, but I've been around enough poor doctors' advice to know when not to take it.

I'm mostly vegetarian with few exceptions. I stopped drinking milk in 2006. The few animal products I do eat on occasion I eat because I know they are healthy & pack good nutrients. Cottage cheese is one of them. I actually stopped eating it for awhile when I stopped eating most animal products, but decided to start eating it again when I upped my protein. (Note: I'm not saying you can't get full, good protein being vegan, just giving my own personal experience as an example, as I see both sides of the fence.) Cottage cheese is low in fat & cals, & packs good nutritional benefits. Eating 1/2 cup every couple of days is totally fine & healthy. If you decide to not eat it, it should mostly be because it is a personal decision for you.

P.S: Buy organic cottage cheese & read the label. :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I asked my doctor this question at my last appointment and he said it is bad for you and i should quit eating it if i am trying to lose weight because any cheese is fattening???..........

However, everything thing i read says that its actually good for you so now i am confused. The packaging says its low in fat and very high in protein.. what are your thoughts and experiences?

I eat the Kraft Simply 2% cottage cheese (love it!! one of my fav foods) and its one of my favorite things for breakfast.

If it fits into your goals then it is good for you. I eat it regularly to help meet my protein goals. Fat does not make you fat, only a calorie surplus does that.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Oh, so that's why there so many carnivores out there dying of cancer. I'll have to tell the tigers, and loins and bears, oh my, that they're doomed.
    Actually, yes. Human carnivores are much more likely to develop cancer. Human carnivores also do not hunt their food, eat 100% organic GMO-free meat all the time, or have anywhere near the amount of enzyme in their stomach that is responsible to break down meat as those tigers, lions, & bears do.

There's a million reasons why a vegetarian diet can be beneficial, but it is a personal decision I believe that should be made after much knowledge on food. You're also not going to die because you eat meat or animal products. The most important thing in any eating lifestyle is to know EXACTLY what's IN your food & know how it's going to affect your own body.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    what is this low sodium cottage cheese?
    brands please? Ive not seen one in any of my grocery stores.

I use Breakstone's 30% less sodium cottage cheese. It takes a little getting used to but I like it now.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse that teaches patients how to eat mostly during cancer treatments.
    1. NO food causes cancer milk or meat.
    2. All foods are OK in moderation.
    3. Each person has there own nutritional needs
    5 Find what works for you and do it
  • Phrakman
    Phrakman Posts: 113
    Options
    eat about 1.5lbs of 1% or 2% cottage cheese every day. Havent died or gotten fat.
  • Deanna_garnermommy
    Deanna_garnermommy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Its good for you, if you are good with dairy. Add flavored protein powder to it, like Jay Robb's tropical dreamsicle, its super good.. maybe 1 packet of sweetener. Nom...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Quote from Lance Armstrong's website
    "No food has the power to make you lose weight, but cottage cheese could be among the most helpful options. Its low calorie count and stellar nutritional profile make it an ideal addition to a low-calorie diet plan, especially if you take care to balance it with servings of healthy foods from other main groups."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/455307-is-cottage-cheese-good-for-you-to-lose-weight/#ixzz1kOEazx9m

Im going to say that a if a 7 time Tour de France cyclist's website endorses the fantastic thing that is cottage cheese then it cant be bad for you....

I think he added PED's to his cottage cheese...

And all i have to say to this one is REALLY????? LOL
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options

The one big problem with cottage cheese is i have found it is SUPER HIGH in sodium. ONE SERVING has 400 mg of sodium. dId you know that? and isnt one serving only half a cup? ick! I buy the Kraft simply 2% and have lost weight eating it, permitting i eat it in moderation, like not all day and only 1/2 cup.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    That is ridiculous.. Find a new Dr.

yup