Is cottage cheese good or bad for you?

Options

Replies

• elly_bean83
    elly_bean83 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    get a low sodium cottage cheese....you may not enjoy the taste as much because it definitely lacks some of the flavour that regular cottage cheese has but it still tastes good and it's so much better for you!
  • pkarim
    pkarim Posts: 171
    Options
    I eat it every night. Helps with protein and keeps me full and I haven't gotten fat lol
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I would find a new doctor

This
  • pitbullmom87
    Options
    primary physicians, claim they know everything. but like that one person said they dont have much time invested in it. a few years ago i had a primary care physician and she diagnosed me with bipolar disorder.. i was put on many many medications and it made me crazy. i didnt understand why it wasnt helping, so i thought i would go to a psychologist and get their opinion... she was way off. drugging me on all these medications that were putting me more in harms way. i wasnt bipolar, i had severe depression. so dont take a primary physicians word for it..get a second opinion. jmo
  • brokenartist
    brokenartist Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown that diets high in casein of course will put on weight.

That is a longer lasting protein, so it feeds your muscles and body longer than whey protein and that's why people can/do can more weight, its not bad for you as long as you are active and your body uses the protein for muscle growth and not storing.
  • kdsmith1234
    Options
    It is good for you in moderation. I love love love cottage cheese expecially with tomatoes in it lol. But it can be high in fat, and depending on what kind you buy high in calories too.. just use moderation and only eat 1 serving (normally 1/2 Cup) a day and you will be ok.. just keep in mind you have a set amount of calories everyday and once they are gone they are gone and you will be ok! Good luck on your journey!
  • irishseven
    irishseven Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have lost 82 pounds and I run daily..I love cottage cheese and have it daily....it is excellent protein..
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    It's a game of alternatives. If you're going to have cheese anyway, cottage cheese is one of the healthiest you can get. It's relatively low fat and calories; but high in protein. Totally a win/win/win scenario. Just goes to show doctors don't know everything.
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options

THIS!!!!
    You need dairy in your diet and i lost 80 pounds while having cottage cheese and fruit for a snack every other day dont think he is correct at all.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If it fits into your macro goals, it's good for you. If it doesn't, it's bad for you.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    what is this low sodium cottage cheese?
    brands please? Ive not seen one in any of my grocery stores.
  • Amberetta82
    Amberetta82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I eat cottage cheese for a post workout snack. I can see where it CAN be fattening depending on which % you get BUT nonetheless its not going to make you the goodyear blimp if you eat a serving every once in a while.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    great question! there always seems to be two sides to the story!! lol but in mod, anything is fine
  • Zaffy01
    Zaffy01 Posts: 28 Member
    Options

THIS!!!!
    You need dairy in your diet and i lost 80 pounds while having cottage cheese and fruit for a snack every other day dont think he is correct at all.

I believe this is inaccurate, although I hold no position on whether cottage cheese is good or bad, I highly disagree that dairy is a necessary thing to have as a part of your diet.

I would agree with what someone else said previous, watch the documentary called "Forks over Knives" on Netflix if you have it. It's well worth the time for some good healthy insights.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I eat over a cup a day. Low in fat, high in protein and I don't worry about sodium.

You're Dr. needs to stick to what he does best and it's not nutrition.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I would call a Dietitians or a Nutritionists and ask them !
  • thekat78
    thekat78 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

Same here. That's an ignorant conclusion, no offense to you or your doctor. I eat it everyday and I've been losing.
  • brokenartist
    brokenartist Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    He might be getting a kick back from the dairy industry. If you listen to them we can't live without dairy. I have a son with an allergy to dairy so I know we can live without it. I know this is totally off the subject now... Sorry

True, human beings will not die without dairy, and the dairy industry (like all other industries) push that we HAVE TO HAVE IT so they can stay an industry. But unless you are allergic to it or just hate it, dairy is a very good source (not the only source) of protein and calcium. And because cottage cheese is not aged, or pressed dry it retains more of the whey proteins that are good for your muscles.
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I highly disagree that dairy is a necessary thing to have as a part of your diet.

I would agree with what someone else said previous, watch the documentary called "Forks over Knives" on Netflix if you have it. It's well worth the time for some good healthy insights.

this

and
    True, human beings will not die without dairy, and the dairy industry (like all other industries) push that we HAVE TO HAVE IT so they can stay an industry.

this
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    By enlarge doctors know very little about nutrition...

I personally think cottage cheese has got a good nutrition to calorie ratio.
    (Even if you are eating the 4%, I expect the 2% is a better choice though)

AND...
    it's satisfying so your not constantly rummaging around looking for something else to eat.
    (I think the more you feel the need to do that the more likely you are to make unhealthy choices.)