Is cottage cheese good or bad for you?

Options

Replies

• Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I would find a new doctor

^^^^This ^^^^
    Lots of good protein in cottage cheese. Plus it's filling, creamy and versatile. You don't even need to cook it or prepare it... just serve and eat.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Yea, I eat cottage cheese all the time.
    Just because someone is a doctor, doesn't mean they're knowledgable in all areas of health. Plus, you will find your anti-dairy people (part of the reason I would never follow the P90X meal plans)
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I would agree with what someone else said previous, watch the documentary called "Forks over Knives" on Netflix if you have it. It's well worth the time for some good healthy insights.

UGH.

^^Nothing but vegan propaganda based on a flawed study^^^

http://rawfoodsos.com/2011/09/22/forks-over-knives-is-the-science-legit-a-review-and-critique/
  • JamieSK
    JamieSK Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I eat it Monday-Friday as part of my lunch; I eat 1% but it's low cal and fat and great in protein. Eating more protein makes you feel full...I've lost 32 pounds eating it...I think your doctor is wrong. :wink:
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    What is supposedly bad in the cottage cheese is the casein (not sure if I spelled that right). I usually have cottage cheese with fruit for my morning snack. Studies have shown that diets high in casein of course will put on weight. Having it in minimal quantites is not bad. Watch the documentary that is on Netflix right now called Forks Over Knives. It touches on studies done that prove that low dairy, low meat and high plant has awesome effects on the body. I am trying to incorporate much more veggies and greens as a result of it and keep dairy/meat to a minimum.

Casein is a form of protein that feeds your muscles for 5 hours, as opposed to whey, which feeds your muscles for 30 minutes. Where did you hear that it was bad for you? If you are doing strength training (which you should be) then you need casein.
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options

...also note that unless your doctor is a dietitian, most MDs only get a few hours (if any) nutrition training for their degree.

Yup. Them and vets both. They may know what nutrients we need, but they are NOT [generally] well trained or well versed in where to get it, or the individual's assimilation of the same.

ADD: When I was almost at my biggest, I asked to be referred to a dietician, as I was sure my diet was fairly healthy and balanced. It was. After a month of detailed (and honest) food diaries, all she could 'pick on' was that I'd had 2/3 tiny, matchbox sized packs of yogurt coated raisins, and did I "not realise they'd be coated in full fat yogurt" and that I'd eaten a whole punnet of grapes, twice in that month, and did I know "that couldn't count towards my five a day". Funnily enough, I gave up after six weeks.....she'd still not suggested a better way of eating, and couldn't really pick fault in what I was doing! If only I'd found this place then!
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I love it, I just don't eat it that often I also eat the lowest sodium type.
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    They do have fat free cottage cheese! It's only about 80 cals a serving I believe?

And fun fact of the day: Did you know that humans are the only mammals that drink other mammals' milk regularly? And being able to digest lactose is actually a mutation!
  • tmbartle
    Options
    What is supposedly bad in the cottage cheese is the casein (not sure if I spelled that right).
    Casein is just an umbrella term for the proteins found in milk. There is nothing particularly special about casein from a metabolic standpoint, although physiologically, it is digested slowly. This can be good because it releases nitrogen and carbon over hours instead of in a short burst... but that's probably also why eating a lot of it could help you gain weight. Basically, there is nothing magically bad about casein as compared to other proteins.

If you have room in your calorie intake and you like cottage cheese, eat it. If you want less fat, eat low fat cottage cheese. If you don't want protein OR fat, eat cottage cheese sparingly.

EDIT: Also, there's no real causative evidence that salt is bad for most people! Salt is linked to high blood pressure, and high blood pressure is linked to heart disease, but the jury is still out on whether or not salt causes heart disease. So if you're reasonably healthy and not at risk for heart disease, salt probably isn't a big deal for you. It's true!

Studies have shown that diets high in casein of course will put on weight.
    Studies have shown? What kind of weight, muscle or fat? And does that mean that it's the casein making you gain weight, or just the rest of a diet that is high in casein? The only way this would be meaningful from a dieting perspective would be if the study substituted casein for other proteins without changing the rest of the diet at all, and then demonstrated that casein itself caused an increase in weight due to body fat.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Where did he get that ridiculous story from? Cottage cheese can be low in fat whilst still being high in protein. As long as you fit it into your daily calorie allowance, go for it!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's not that high in calories and is very filling. I think it's great for losing weight.
  • jared767
    Options
    I agree with everyone that cottage cheese is a good source of nutrients like calcium and vitamins. If you are concerned about the fat, watch your portions and it will be best not to add sugar and fruits with it.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    What is supposedly bad in the cottage cheese is the casein (not sure if I spelled that right). I usually have cottage cheese with fruit for my morning snack. Studies have shown that diets high in casein of course will put on weight. Having it in minimal quantites is not bad. Watch the documentary that is on Netflix right now called Forks Over Knives. It touches on studies done that prove that low dairy, low meat and high plant has awesome effects on the body. I am trying to incorporate much more veggies and greens as a result of it and keep dairy/meat to a minimum.

Casein protein is a slow digesting protein and it best used to fight of catabolism(muscle loss due to no protein in your system) over night. I take mine right before I go to bed.
    I just had a conversation with my wife who went to the Dr. yesterday and the nurse said if you're trying to loose weight stop all dairy. I said she doesn't know what she's talking about. We eat Low fat Cheese and Low Fat cottage cheese. She said, she's a nurse she knows what she's talking about. I said, she's a nurse, not a nutritionist and don't listen to her.
    It's like a freaking Automotive Tech telling my how to clean my furnace. People, stick to your areas of work.

Now, you can lose weight on a twinkie diet if you eat at a deficit. It's all about calories in vs. calories out.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

Casein is a form of protein that feeds your muscles for 5 hours, as opposed to whey, which feeds your muscles for 30 minutes. Where did you hear that it was bad for you? If you are doing strength training (which you should be) then you need casein.

Nothing wrong with casien, but this statement is entirely inaccurate.

proteingraphic.jpg

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/what-are-good-sources-of-protein-speed-of-digestion-pt1.html
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    Funny how everyone here is bashing the doctor. Didn't realize everyone on this board had intimate knowledge of the OPs medical history. Maybe the is concerned because she has a family history of heart disease or her blood works shows her cholesterol is too high. Just Say'n.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options
    Funny how everyone here is bashing the doctor. Didn't realize everyone on this board had intimate knowledge of the OPs medical history. Maybe the is concerned because she has a family history of heart disease or her blood works shows her cholesterol is too high. Just Say'n.

Did you even read the OP?
    he said it is bad for you and i should quit eating it if i am trying to lose weight because any cheese is fattening

This is an idiotic and nonsensical statement. Labeling a single food as "fattening" is moronic (especially when the food is nutritionally-dense and calorically sparse)
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I dislike doctors because for the most part a general practioner is a flow chart monkey. Do these symptoms present? If yes write a script for this.

They used all of their brain cells cramming for an anatomy exam.

There is nothing wrong with cottage cheese. There is nothing wrong with sugar, or butter, or beef fat. (LOL I just realized butter is essentially beef fat) If it fits into your dietary requirements then by all means partake.

to be more specific cottage cheese is a relatively healthy food item. If you are monitoring your sodium watch the intake on that. Its generally low in fat if you get the 1% or skim and high in protein.

Go, Eat, Enjoy
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If it fits into your macro goals, it's good for you. If it doesn't, it's bad for you.

Perfect answer to any food related question.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options

Nothing wrong with casien, but this statement is entirely inaccurate.

proteingraphic.jpg

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/what-are-good-sources-of-protein-speed-of-digestion-pt1.html

Ah! Thanks for the link! Very good information.
  • miller150
    Options
    You are all right and you are all wrong. The question was if cottage cheese is bad for you and yes it is because you are ingesting animal fat and protein. Animal fat causes heart disease and animal protein leads to cancer. This has been proven without a doubt unless you just don't want to believe science. Unless you are a bodybuilder, no adult needs that much protein (especially the pound a day member). The brain is the main user of carbohydrates and your body needs carbs to live and live well. But the right carbs are what's important (complex carbs - veggies, friuts, whole grains and legumes). Beans have more protein than you will ever need and tons of fiber and these are the reasons a veggie diet is the most healthy. With that said, carbs raise insulin which stores fat and unless you refrain from simple and processed sugars or don't curb your intake of these sugars you can't really lose weight. That's where cottage cheese comes in to play. It is an awesome food to go "carb free" but not a way to eat every day, because it is bad for you. The problem with all these issues is that it's extremely difficult to be healthy on the inside and outside (slim) at the same time because we are programmed to like the foods that are bad for you because they are so rich in energy (fat and sugar).