Is cottage cheese good or bad for you?

Options

Replies

• seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I asked my doctor this question at my last appointment and he said it is bad for you and i should quit eating it if i am trying to lose weight because any cheese is fattening???..........

Quote from Lance Armstrong's website
    "No food has the power to make you lose weight, but cottage cheese could be among the most helpful options. Its low calorie count and stellar nutritional profile make it an ideal addition to a low-calorie diet plan, especially if you take care to balance it with servings of healthy foods from other main groups."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/455307-is-cottage-cheese-good-for-you-to-lose-weight/#ixzz1kOEazx9m

Im going to say that a if a 7 time Tour de France cyclist's website endorses the fantastic thing that is cottage cheese then it cant be bad for you....

I think he added PED's to his cottage cheese...

And all i have to say to this one is REALLY????? LOL

plus he's not a 7x champion anymore LOL
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    You are all right and you are all wrong. The question was if cottage cheese is bad for you and yes it is because you are ingesting animal fat and protein. Animal fat causes heart disease and animal protein leads to cancer. This has been proven without a doubt unless you just don't want to believe science. Unless you are a bodybuilder, no adult needs that much protein (especially the pound a day member). The brain is the main user of carbohydrates and your body needs carbs to live and live well. But the right carbs are what's important (complex carbs - veggies, friuts, whole grains and legumes). Beans have more protein than you will ever need and tons of fiber and these are the reasons a veggie diet is the most healthy. With that said, carbs raise insulin which stores fat and unless you refrain from simple and processed sugars or don't curb your intake of these sugars you can't really lose weight. That's where cottage cheese comes in to play. It is an awesome food to go "carb free" but not a way to eat every day, because it is bad for you. The problem with all these issues is that it's extremely difficult to be healthy on the inside and outside (slim) at the same time because we are programmed to like the foods that are bad for you because they are so rich in energy (fat and sugar).

Your first post? On a year old thread?
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    the OP probably doesnt care any more.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I asked my doctor this question at my last appointment and he said it is bad for you and i should quit eating it if i am trying to lose weight because any cheese is fattening???..........

However, everything thing i read says that its actually good for you so now i am confused. The packaging says its low in fat and very high in protein.. what are your thoughts and experiences?

I eat the Kraft Simply 2% cottage cheese (love it!! one of my fav foods) and its one of my favorite things for breakfast.

You doctor is obviously clueless when it comes to weight loss. Remember that there is a lot of variability in regard to primary care physicians. Some of them are great, while others are the ones who got fired from surgery. You seem to have one of the latter variety.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    What is supposedly bad in the cottage cheese is the casein (not sure if I spelled that right). I usually have cottage cheese with fruit for my morning snack. Studies have shown that diets high in casein of course will put on weight. Having it in minimal quantites is not bad. Watch the documentary that is on Netflix right now called Forks Over Knives. It touches on studies done that prove that low dairy, low meat and high plant has awesome effects on the body. I am trying to incorporate much more veggies and greens as a result of it and keep dairy/meat to a minimum.

Casein is a form of protein that feeds your muscles for 5 hours, as opposed to whey, which feeds your muscles for 30 minutes. Where did you hear that it was bad for you? If you are doing strength training (which you should be) then you need casein.

This is incorrect.

Maximum bioavailability of both proteins is about an hour to two hours. After about four hours after ingesting whey, the bioavailability returns to baseline (pre-ingestion). For casein return to baseline takes a lot longer (6-8 hrs) because of the slow digestion.

The idea that a longer presence of protein in the blood results in higher muscle protein synthesis is attractive but also seems to be wrong. Total protein bioavailability (protein level and is about the same, insulin driven muscle protein synthesis is higher with whey.

In terms of muscle protein synthesis - anyone stating categorically that one is better than the other mostly providing wishful thinking or conjecture.
    Overall, based on the present result, two scenarios can be set
    up. One is that the exercise stimuli alone was the main trigger
    of increased anabolic signaling downstream of the insulin/
    IGF-I receptor in the post exercise recovery period, since the
    provision of different protein types did not have any effects
    except for 4E-BP1 and the related phosphorylation ratio. Alternatively,
    both whey and casein and their related digestion
    and absorption rates provide amino acids sufficient to maximally
    stimulate downstream signaling events to activate
    p70S6K. Finally, the protein group differences related to total
    4E-BP1 could be interpreted as a feedback inhibitory mechanism
    to the load of amino acids and insulin after the whey
    intake.

Recommended paper: ajpendo.physiology.org/content/300/1/E231.full.pdf
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Never take nutrition advice from a general doctor. They have very little training. A good doctor wouldn't use the word "fattening" as no food alone will cause you to gain weight... excess calories will. Take nutrition advice from a nutritionist.

As for cottage cheese, if it fits into your day go ahead and eat some. It has a decent amount of protein! I use it to make a healthy version of poutine. If you aren't too concerned about sodium there is no issue with it as long as it fits into your calories and other nutrients.
  • wvfrog22
    Options
    Many doctors try to push low fat foods, however, low fat foods aren't necessarily the best choice. Fat feeds your brain. Just think about how many more people are diagnosed with dimentia, and the like, since there has been a push for low fat. What your body doesn't need is refined carbohydrates. They do a number on your insulin levels and affect many parts of your body. I know everyone is different, and I used to eat low fat, but once I realized all the crap they were putting in the foods to make them low fat, I decided that wasn't for me.

Best of luck!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Quote from Lance Armstrong's website
    "No food has the power to make you lose weight, but cottage cheese could be among the most helpful options. Its low calorie count and stellar nutritional profile make it an ideal addition to a low-calorie diet plan, especially if you take care to balance it with servings of healthy foods from other main groups."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/455307-is-cottage-cheese-good-for-you-to-lose-weight/#ixzz1kOEazx9m

Im going to say that a if a 7 time Tour de France cyclist's website endorses the fantastic thing that is cottage cheese then it cant be bad for you....

I know this comment is a year old, but it still makes me laugh.

To quote Joe Pesci from My Cousin Vinny concerning anything Lance Armstrong: "Everything that guy just said is bull sh$t...Thank you."
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    It's my primary care physician. Over all i am very happy with him, but i just do not agree with his statement on cottage cheese and like some one mentioned before, hes a PCP not a Nutritionist so im just wanting to see what everyone elses opinion was on cottage cheese and its benefits or downfalls.

Dr. Oz is a doctor too. Your doctor is making a similar mistake in working out of his/her specialty or is just flat out gone off in a strange direction.

Edit: Oops, old post revived from death. Never mind.
  • langsyne
    langsyne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't find a new doctor but I have learned to never take nutritional advice from one. Watch the fat free ones, they are usually
    higher in sugar content. I love the 2% and it's one of my favourite breakfast or snack foods.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lu1g76tFAu1qblihro1_1280_zpsd2688a9c.jpg
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Tell your doctor to go read some food labels - then use your common sense unfettered by the mythology of expert-elitism.

Doctors are not the demigods they fancy themselves to be. Yours clearly more so than most.

:flowerforyou:
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Your first post? On a year old thread?

someone found a new camp for leveling necromancy
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese makes cellulite
    Pizza makes Pizza Face
    etc............
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Many doctors try to push low fat foods, however, low fat foods aren't necessarily the best choice. Fat feeds your brain. Just think about how many more people are diagnosed with dimentia, and the like, since there has been a push for low fat. What your body doesn't need is refined carbohydrates. They do a number on your insulin levels and affect many parts of your body. I know everyone is different, and I used to eat low fat, but once I realized all the crap they were putting in the foods to make them low fat, I decided that wasn't for me.

Best of luck!
    Glucose feeds your brain, not fat. Fat is used for repair and maintenance, not fuel. As for dementia, well, we've actually been eating more fat than ever (fat consumption has almost doubled since 1970,) so you may have it backwards, although, personally, I think it has a lot more to do with there being a lot more older people being alive to be diagnosed with dementia, rather than anything specifically diet related.
  • UrosW
    UrosW Posts: 1
    Options
    Great threat and lots, LOTS of good and quality information. Thank you!
    I love curd. I only use fresh curd from my parents neighbour in an area that can only be described as HEAVEN. Free range cows, lots of fresh grass, quality water, lots of large pastures . The CURD is HEAVEN!!! Full of flavour, dry as pepper. Just talkinh about it, makes my mouth fill with water. Uff. I eat it every morning along my breakfast. Sometimes mixed with fruits, sometimes with nuts....ufff
  • jancl57
    jancl57 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Curd is yummy....specially "bohinjska sirarska skuta" or "albuminska loška". But the best curd is fresh sheep curd from farm. Of course it's "albuminska" curd. I can eat 250 g of "bohinjske sirarske", I usually don't eat "loške skute", but I could probably eat 1 kg of homemade sheep's curd. Curd is great for you, if it's fresh it is even better.
  • Annie_ga
    Annie_ga Posts: 72
    Options
    I love cottage cheese, but only buy the fat-free. I love it with fresh pineapple for a snack.

I try to only eat healthy fats (avocado, nuts, plant-based or fish and lean meats)

Dairy fat is saturated fat which increases blood cholesterol - which increases risk of heart disease. No thanks!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese should only be consumed by baby cows.:happy:
  • kaseyAnne425
    kaseyAnne425 Posts: 230
    Options
    I often snack on cottage cheese when I'm in the mood for it, but the fat free kind. It is kind of high in sodium, but it's packed with calcium and protein, which makes for a filling snack/meal addition but I make sure to go by the serving size (which is usually 1/2 cup)