water intake - relating to coffee, liquids, salt, etc

Options
CoderGal
CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
So Coffee is very dehydrating, and many of us drink coffee. After reading a post a while ago (I can't remember which one) I thought it was kind of ironic that some people are logging a dehydrating drink like coffee under their daily water intake. I've also noticed that people seem to log juices and soups.

How do you log water? Do you take water off if you've had something like coffee? Do you count juice? Soup? Personally, I only log plain drinking water as water. I'll add Aquafina flavored water as well.

What about salt? If you've eaten allot of it do you try to drink more or less water? Why? Have you seen it affect your body? How?

Does anyone have any good articles or know anything about how coffee or salt affects your body, especially if you're getting to much or not enough water? I think it'd be an interesting read.

I'd love to hear some comments and peoples logic behind it.

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i log coffee, tea, juice, soda, and water as water. that said, i drink coffee maybe 3 times a week, tea about half that and juice and soda are a couple times a month, if that.
    its all water, and the dehydrating effects arent really so serious that you dont get any benefit at all from the water the drink is made from.
    i never thought to add soup as water intake, but i dont eat/drink a lot of soup either.
  • sche1amy
    sche1amy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I log the actual water I drink. I do not include any other form of liquid! Just the good old water itself :0)
  • lc504
    lc504 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I count only water and decaffeinated tea :smile:

Personally, salt intake doesn't affect me much - so long as I'm getting in a good 8+ cups of water, I usually don't retain water from excess sodium.
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    Well if you have a lot of sodium you need to drink more water than usual or you will become dehydrated. In the hospital all fluids are counted as intake even coffee, soups, jello, ice chips juice... anything that goes in, in a liquid form. On the other hand I count water as water on this site only and put everything else just in my food diary.
  • Lady_Lamb
    Lady_Lamb Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I only log water as water. When I have coffee, I log it as coffee. When I eat a lot of salty foods, I try to drink more water. I don't know what my logic is behind that; I guess I just want to flush everything out!
  • mhrhoades
    Options
    I only log water as water. But, in reality, I don't drink much of anything other than water - no coffee or diet pop - so it is pretty easy.
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I only log water that is PLAIN water... nothing else. Speaking of which I drank 152 oz today!!! :drinker:

*** I only log water because it says "water", not "fluid intake". Any other drink I log under my foods. but that's just me.... whatever works for you all, stick with it.
  • LittleMissAngi
    LittleMissAngi Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I log just plain drinking water as my water intake.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    Only log plain water as water
  • Bellyroll
    Bellyroll Posts: 316
    Options
    I log all liquids in the hospitals and my medical community logs it then I will also.
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I only log water under my water intake. Anything (if there is) gets logged as whatever it is!!
  • Renee0608
    Renee0608 Posts: 138
    Options
    Only plain water....I log anything else I drink under my foods.
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    Personally, I don't think it really matters how you log it so long as you are having the calories in there and being consistent in how you log it. Dont count everything one day and switch to only water the next. This site is for your use so you know what works for you and what doesn't.
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    i log plain ol' water... other things get logged in the diary under food...
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I love water and tea as water. You put something in water, the water doesn't get up and leave. I don't drink anything else but water and my green tea. If I did happen to drink a coffee I would count it as water, but I would also try and drink an extra cup or two of the good stuff. You get water in the foods you eat as well, so i don't aim to try and flood myself with it however. If I do have high sodium days then I will try and drink extra water, but the rare day that its high, the next morning my weight will still be up. I, however, will pee ALLLLL day long and the next day it will be down 3 or so lbs. I try to watch sodium though because high blood pressure runs in the family.
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I only count my water as water.. whether I flavored it or not, I keep bottles in the refridgerator and drink at least 3 bottles adding up to 8-9 cups a day.

I don't count water in foods or coffee or any of that, I don't count water in hot chocolate (though I don't have it often).

Not sure about tea, I hate tea, but I wouldn't count lemonade either... guess it's a personal thing, but I want to be 100 percent sure I have my water in, so I only count from my waters I fill up daily.
  • jillvent
    Options
    I log plain water, decaf herbal tea and seltzer water (as long as there are no calories, sodium, etc).
  • MrsLawsonNavyBrat2B
    Options
    I only log water that is PLAIN water... nothing else. Speaking of which I drank 152 oz today!!! :drinker:

GREAT JOB!!

WATER is WATER. Soda is Soda, Coffee is Coffee, etc. However I hardly drink anything but water <3 128 oz TODAY =)
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I log water and squash.

Tea goes down as tea, I log whichever squash I drink under my drinks header too (undiluted amount).

If I were to have fresh juice I would log that under drinks, not as water.
  • lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is not as strong a diuretic as people are led to believe (in the NYT article, it is about as strong a diuretic as water itself!) and technically you can log any drink as water. PLAIN water however, is best for you as is it calorie/sugar free, so better for weight loss than anything else.

I personally try to log only water, but if I do log something else, I make sure to log it with my food so that the calories are counted!

So enjoy your coffee (just beware all the calories from the stuff you put in it!)

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/04/health/nutrition/04real.html