Legit question regarding building muscle and calories

Options

Replies

• RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    All these links and rhetoric, yet none of it explains how as my weight goes down, my arms stay the same size, but they are firmer and I can see what appears to be a muscle bulge when I flex or twist them.

Increased blood flow and fluid retention is a well-known adaptation to training.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

Read the article carefully.

Then tell me where it says that fat can be used to fuel muscle growth (in anyone but an obese beginner).

Well it say sit in a few places, but we both already know that, don't we, are you counting on people taking your word for what is in the article and not reading it for them self? LOL And the question was not can it be done for a well trained athlete, the question was simply can it be done. You really need to stop with the strawman arguments, it's not becoming.

It boils down to this, the question was asked, can you build muscle and lose fat at the same time. Period end of story, and the answer is yes. You are so invested in proving yourself right you have lost sight of the question, and lost sight of the FACT that even your feeble attempt to draw in expert witness to prove you right, you have proved yourself wrong. Fat can be used as calories to help in the muscle building process, and you can build muscle while at the same time losing fat. The proof is in your link. Thanks for playing.

Your lack of reading comprehension is astounding. It's been pointed out several times that obese beginners and athletes returning from a layoff are exceptions to the rule. But people still claim that this phenomenon happens in general

If you still believe this and, even worse, believe that the article supports this claim, then there's no hope for you.

Good luck with your wishful thinking.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    All these links and rhetoric, yet none of it explains how as my weight goes down, my arms stay the same size, but they are firmer and I can see what appears to be a muscle bulge when I flex or twist them.

Weight goes down because your are burning fat and/or losing water... ready for this... from your WHOLE body, not just one place.

Your arms stay the same size because of blood flow due to the stimulated muscles.

You see a muscle because you are reducing the amount of fat covering up said muscle.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

Weight goes down because your are burning fat and/or losing water... ready for this... from your WHOLE body, not just one place.

Your arms stay the same size because of blood flow due to the stimulated muscles.

You see a muscle because you are reducing the amount of fat covering up said muscle.

I assume he's measuring/observing at a time not immediately after a workout. You're sort of picking and choosing yoru battle here.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

Your lack of reading comprehension is astounding. It's been pointed out several times that obese beginners and athletes returning from a layoff are exceptions to the rule. But people still claim that this phenomenon happens in general

If you still believe this and, even worse, believe that the article supports this claim, then there's no hope for you.

Good luck with your wishful thinking.

There you go again, changing the argument to fit your belief. NO ONE CLAIMED it happens in general, let me repeat NO ONE CLAIMED in happens in general. The question was a simple one, and the answer is just as simple. Yes it can/does happen. And I glad to see you changed your statement, first is was "only" in obese people, now you included athletes retuning from a lay off. LOL what's next?
  • freerange
    Options
    Next you will be including this in your statement?
    But more specific approaches can be effective in achieving this goal. The Ultimate Diet 2.0 has often generated muscle gains while people dieted to single digit body fat levels (I’d note that the gain in muscle never reaches equality with the fat loss) but it also alternates specific dieting and gaining phases during the week.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    So I've been lifting weights for years (off and on). In the past 2 months I switched from a very bad high-carb diet to a low-carb diet and I have lost 15 lbs, and have been training for a marathon for 1 month now. I'm doing lots of cardio (4 hours a week), but also a moderate amount of lifting (2-3 times a week for 30-45 minutes). As part of my diet I have increased protein and fat a lot.

What can be said about the fact that my muscles are stronger, firmer, and I feel like chest actually grew in size, despite not retaining much water because of low glycogen stores most of the time? Is this normal?
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    If fat cant' be used to fuel muscle growth then why do "obese" people get to use fat for such? And what is the definition of "obese" and at what BF% does this "obese" ability to build muscle while on a deficit stop?
  • RonSwanson66
    Options
    But more specific approaches can be effective in achieving this goal. The Ultimate Diet 2.0 has often generated muscle gains while people dieted to single digit body fat levels (I’d note that the gain in muscle never reaches equality with the fat loss) but it also alternates specific dieting and gaining phases during the week.

Key point bolded.

Muscle growth and fat loss are NOT occurring simultaneously.

Read the book.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options
    So I've been lifting weights for years (off and on). In the past 2 months I switched from a very bad high-carb diet to a low-carb diet and I have lost 15 lbs, and have been training for a marathon for 1 month now. I'm doing lots of cardio (4 hours a week), but also a moderate amount of lifting (2-3 times a week for 30-45 minutes). As part of my diet I have increased protein and fat a lot.

What can be said about the fact that my muscles are stronger, firmer, and I feel like chest actually grew in size, despite not retaining much water because of low glycogen stores most of the time? Is this normal?

No. You are a unique snowflake who is immune to the laws of thermodynamics.

As another poster stated:
    Congratulations, you broke physics
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

Key point bolded.

Read the book.

Can they happen in a staggered fashion such that you lose fat in the morning and gain muscle at night?
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    There's no evidience that's a net caloric deficit or surplus per week. That statement indicates one could be net deficit/maintance or surplus and still make that statement true.
  • freerange
    Options
    If fat cant' be used to fuel muscle growth then why do "obese" people get to use fat for such? And what is the definition of "obese" and at what BF% does this "obese" ability to build muscle while on a deficit stop?

It was explained in the link provided pretty well. It's easier for over fat people, the article doesn't use the word obese, because, and this is a, no **** moment, basically there is more fat to be used and the body is giving up that fat easier. Like most people don't already know the closer you are to your goal, the harder it is to get there.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    The Ultimate Diet 2.0 has often generated muscle gains while people dieted to single digit body fat levels

This statement is stating that the person is "dieting". Also is losing fat. A bulking phase in terms of what some of you are referring to can't have that happen. If you bulk to gain muscle, you also gain a lesser amount fat also. If you eat clean enough.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I think there are 2 slightly different arguments being made here.

1 side is arguing that fat can be used as an energy source for repairing/building muscle in *some* people under *some* circumstances.

The other side is saying that it is uncommon and *very* unlikely to be the case for the majority of people on this site who claim to be benefactors of it.

Neither side is saying I can NEVER happen EVER, PERIOD. There was brief talk about whether or not the body can directly convert fat into muscle, but I think we are past that.

Does that sum it up, or am I missing something? While I like the conversation and debate for my personal knowledge, I sense a bit of a pissing match developing.
  • freerange
    Options

Key point bolded.

Read the book.

Can they happen in a staggered fashion such that you lose fat in the morning and gain muscle at night?

True, but most people would conclude that at the end of the week, if you lost three pounds of fat and gained one pound of muscle you are doing both at the "same" time. I will gladly concede you're technically correct that it is not happening "simutaneoulsy"
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Some are saying only the "obese" can use fat to build muscle. The problem is "obese" is never defined at a % and at what % it stops is also never defined.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

Key point bolded.

Read the book.

This is the basic premise behind IF. The goal is basically alternating microcycles of "cutting" (fasting window) and "bulking" (feeding window).

The evidence is still equivocal as to its efficacy, but there is some anecdotal evidence that supports it. (See the Leangains.com site for more info).
  • freerange
    Options

No. You are a unique snowflake who is immune to the laws of thermodynamics.

As another poster stated:
    Congratulations, you broke physics

Translation LOL, it doesn't fit my believe system, so I must poke fun at you.