It is not good idea to count calories in vegetables!!

Options

Replies

• Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    If the veggies are prepared without oils, butter, etc. I don't give much thought to them either. My plan limits servings of everything else except veggies. This does not include potatoes, I eat those sparingly and rarely.
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    I consider veggies free calories. I never counted them and hit my goal weight without any issues.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way: your maintenance is 2000 cals you eat 1950 cals of non-veggies, then counting veggies becomes important as it would be easy to go over your 2000 it this case.
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    so does that mean I can eat all the potatos I want and still lose weight? yay!!!!!! *throws french fries in air like confetti*

potatos ARE a vegetable...

This is where the logic is flawed.
    Essentially, we're talking fibrous fresh green and colorful vegetables, not starches.
  • code156
    code156 Posts: 31
    Options
    It would be impossible to eat enough veggies to get fat, they are too filling! I challenge anyone to gain weight by eating 1800 cals of veggies! And digesting and chewing something like celery is unlikely to result in a postive number of net calories.
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    The issue with giving out a blanket statement like this, too, is that what many people consider "vegetables" really aren't, and are relatively calorie-dense. Think of things like corn and peas, which are grains and legumes, respectively, but which many Americans consider/eat as vegetables on a typical dinner plate. Even certain starchy squashes (not sure how they are classified scientifically) are viewed as a vegetable but can add up calorically pretty quickly.

Sure, nobody ever got fat eating vegetables, but I think especially as you reach your goal weight and the healthy weight range, you really have to log everything.
  • meltygarden
    meltygarden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I can see this working only if you eat nothing but raw, plain vegetables without any dressings or sauces, or plain vegetables steamed in water with nothing added. Otherwise, you do need to count them, because a tablespoon of dressing here, a sprinkle of cheese there, and a pat of butter will add up just the same.
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    so does that mean I can eat all the potatos I want and still lose weight? yay!!!!!! *throws french fries in air like confetti*

Yay for potatoes! Awesome. :laugh:
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    No one can ever get fat eating tons of vegetables so i don't see the need to count the calories in them.

i don't add my veggie calories and still lose weight.!:happy:

Citation needed.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    It's not the approach I would take. Calories in veggies can vary wildly...lima beans, for example, have more calories per serving than green beans.

If ALL veggies had virtually no calories then the no counting logic 'might' work but that's not the case.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    No one can ever get fat eating tons of vegetables so i don't see the need to count the calories in them.

How does this make it a good idea not to count them? I count them and I lost weight too.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I add them mostly so I can monitor my potassium:sodium ratio. Some have potassium, some are full of sodium!
  • aweightymatter
    Options

This is where the logic is flawed.
    Essentially, we're talking fibrous fresh green and colorful vegetables, not starches.

Exactly. Potatoes are not a vegetable -- they're a tuber -- and neither are beans, peas, or corn.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I think it could be a bad idea. But to each their own I guess.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

Some people say the same regarding fruit. However, ALL veg (and fruit) has calories. If something has calories and you eat (or drink it), count it.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    My entire diet is made up of about 95% vegetables. I'm a chubby vegan, so I can say for certain that YES, you CAN get chubby if you don't watch your cals...even those that come from good sources.
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    I don't count some veg, eg lettuce or celery as you pretty much burn there calories by chewing on tem...but all other veg I count.
  • Leigh2778
    Leigh2778 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is that you have to do what works for you. If you don't want to count veggie calories, and it works, then don't. If you do want to count veggie calories, then do. I personally like to count everything so I can see if I am eating enough of this or that, or too much of something, etc. But that's what is working for me, right now.
    To each their own. :drinker:
  • KemaVA
    KemaVA Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Its not that no one can get fat from eating a ton of vegetables it the fact that most people will not eat a 'ton' of vegetables. You should add them! However I am not as strict with veggies as I am with other stuff. One extra baby carrot is not the same as one extra cookie. :wink:

Also its nice to add them so they can be accounted for in the vitamin section. :bigsmile: I like to make sure I'm getting enough.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    It's always a good idea to speak in absolutes. :flowerforyou: