It is not good idea to count calories in vegetables!!

Options

Replies

• tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    BTW...elephants eat only fruit and veg...have you ever seen a skinny one?

I eat mostly only fruits and veggies. Have you seen me?

I do, too! The point is...you can be heavy or not heavy on a plant-based diet...I think that any calorie you're ingesting should be accounted for, but this is coming from someone who really does eat almost entirely fruits and veg and is chubby!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    No one can ever get fat eating tons of vegetables so i don't see the need to count the calories in them.

i don't add my veggie calories and still lose weight.!:happy:

I can't quite figure out what the point of this post is...are you trying to convince me to not log my veggies, or are you sharing a technique that works for you?

The topic title "It is not a good idea to count calories in vegetables!!" is such a blanket statement that I actually expected some valid information supporting this theory. If the only thing you have to support it with is "i don't add my veggie calories and still lose weight" I'm not buying it. Calories are calories.
    In addition, I share my food diary with my nutritionist and use it for reference when I get stuck. If I don't log everything I eat, I won't know where the problem is. I can't see any valid reason to NOT log my vegetables.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It's a fantastic idea to count all of your calories..it just may be "too much work" for some ;)

Now THAT'S lazy! Even I'm impressed.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options

However one of the good things about some veggie calories is they are are negative calories, in that it takes more calories burned to digest them than the caloric value in the first place.

Cheers

Negative calories are a myth, calories are calories, plain & simple.
  • judgejava
    Options
    no its not.

I never said zero calories, i said negative which means they take more to digest than there content. The thermic effect on the body. It is a fact that it takes calories to consume/digest food, some food is harder to digest than others and requires more thermic energy which equates to more calories
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    No one can ever get fat eating tons of vegetables so i don't see the need to count the calories in them.

i don't add my veggie calories and still lose weight.!:happy:

*facepalm*
  • RocketsGirl
    RocketsGirl Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    rule of thumb.. "in your mouth .. on your log "

I'm too perverted to take this how you meant it.

me too .....

ummm me three
  • Melk967
    Melk967 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Just do what's best for you. Who cares what others do (im talking to both sides here!) Not everyone is the same. Personally I don't count celery, lettuce, blah blah because it hasn't seemed to make a difference. Half the time it adds up to like 6 calories for my serving lol! Fruits and potatoes I try and log, but even fruit I'm iffy on. basically I try and log the ones I.know are higher in calories. I figure i eat less anyway if I fill up on all those healhty things, so my calorie counts tend to be way lower than my goal those days ajyway, making the veggies or whatever pretty much negligible :)
    But it just depends on YOU! :)
  • dolfn1972
    dolfn1972 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    didnt the US government deem that pizza is a vegetable? In that case...its pizza all day every day. Yes.

I log everything I eat...even the peppermint hard candies that are all over the office.
    If you are looking for reasons/ excuses to NOT log calories so you can also eat something else instead...you are only cheating yourself in the long run. IMO
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    carrots and lettuce and peppers might not have alot of calories, but starchy veggies sure do. Beans and potatos and corn are loaded with calories. I count them all.
    Beans?
    Right...didn't you hear? Beans have been promoted to veg.

I wish someone would have told me, I didn't get them a gift! :sad:
  • 10kaday
    10kaday Posts: 177
    Options
    If you eat perfectly without any processed food then sure, you don't need to count anything. I can eat a plate of veggies for lunch and I'm stuffed at the end of the meal and I've only consumed 100 calories or so. And that's a big plate of veggies!!! But, if you eat other food along with it you could easily go over so you gotta be careful. Just use common sense! :D
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    no its not.

I never said zero calories, i said negative which means they take more to digest than there content which is a fact

That is completely dependant on the vegetable you're talking about. Maybe with celery, but if you were to eat, say... zucchini, squash, I doubt this would prove true.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    no its not.

I never said zero calories, i said negative which means they take more to digest than there content which is a fact

I know what a negative calorie is, but a calorie is a calorie & it still counts.
    If you eat a strawberry at 5 calories & you burn that with 10 calories, then it should be a zero calorie food right? Well it's not.
    http://caloriecount.about.com/negative-calories-myth-explained-b349703
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    no its not.

If you believe this, do you also believe that the thermic effect of food for these particular vegetables is above 100%? To me these are equivalent statements.
  • runnerwithin
    Options
    There is actually no such thing as 'negative calories' the amount of energy used to digest the food is already calculated into the nutrition information.
  • judgejava
    Options
    no its not.

I know what a negative calorie is, but a calorie is a calorie & it still counts.
    If you eat a strawberry at 5 calories & you burn that with 10 calories, then it should be a zero calorie food right? Well it's not.
    http://caloriecount.about.com/negative-calories-myth-explained-b349703

i never said it didnt count.

I said it will take more calories to burn then its content, thats all.

I never said not to count it.

In the same statement i said a calorie is a calorie
  • Shawna_831
    Options
    BTW...elephants eat only fruit and veg...have you ever seen a skinny one?

I eat mostly only fruits and veggies. Have you seen me?

LOL ^^ :drinker:
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    A bannana is 102 calories!!! :=( I keep track.......

Banana's are my favorite vegetable.