Diabetes Support Group~~~Part 1

Options

Replies

• CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Good to hear from you , Wolf. A girl just ask on how to prevent diabetes and I really did not know for sure.
    a post just before you.K2TAe2n6. How do they? And wecome back. Caliecat
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Just dropping in to say Good Night to all that may drop by.
    We are having our Easter Dinner tomorrow, Saturday. good thing too for rain is in the forcast for Sunday.
    We are having it at my daughter house out in the country.
    Have a Happy Easter.
    Caliecat
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Lost a lb thid week. that makes 10 lbs. Yeah:heart::heart: Iam eating lots of 100 calories meals thru out the day. 1 lb a week time 40 wks ==40 lbs by Jan. 2, 2010 thats my goal..My blood sugar is better under control. Loving it.
    Caliecat
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Hi JUst dropping in to wish all who may drop in or fly by a HAPPY EASTER

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Keep up your exercise and your good healty meals

Caliecat:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
    Hi to all... :heart: caliecat

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I am lucky, I do not have diabetes, yet. I am the only member of my entire family without the disease, and thank god I have better habits than the rest of them - I think its whats kept me safe. Not getting diabetes is one of the primary driving factors behind my weightloss. However, I still feel like I have an axe hanging over my head. I need to get my blood tested to verify that I do not have it, however, to be honest, I'm scared. I have been since my brother and father were diagnosed... originally it was just my mother.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Hello msarro, So nice of you to drop in. I don't know much about how to prevent diabetes but for sure you are heading in the right directions losing all that weigh. Sorry to hear your family all have it. What kind of diet are you on to lose so much weight? Our Doctor that post here may be able to help you. He has been quite busy here Lately but expect him back soon. Thank you for dropping in and do come back again. Would love hearing from you.
    Caliecat
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Good morning, How is everybody this fine morning.

Everything here is going great.

Love to see more people here tho.

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

just checking in again.

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :l
    Caliecat
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Everybody welcome here.

Caliecat
  • happygirl518
    happygirl518 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    :heart: hello Calie and all those that follow. Sorry I have been MIA, alot of family things going on leading up to and after the Easter Holiday. Things are settling down a bit now and I have through it all not lost focus on what is most important for me, my health.

I am maintaining, so guess that's better than a gain, but a bit discouraging, as I am making healthy choices and the only really good pay-off of all my hard work is that I do feel alot better and am delighted that the old habits are behind me. Sugar is 260 before anything to eat or drink this morning.
    Exercise has not been as regular with the nasty weather we have been having and the arthritis is flairing up as well. The weekend is to be 70's and wonderful so planning on a hike and picnic in the park with kayleigh and my hubby Bill. We love the outdoors and always plan fun activities when the weather is nice.

I did get my seeds sowed in my garden, we planted; tomatoes, celery, gr. beans, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, onions, bell peppers and in a separate spot did serano *hot peppers*. Though I have managed to luck out and find produce here affordable, I figure as well get closer to summer it will skyrocket, so any yield from the garden will a blessing.

Hope you are all doing well. I'll check back a bit later to see what's happening. Tonight we are having baked pork chops and garlic roasted potatoes and mixed blend of veggies, and pumpkin roll for dessert.

Take care, Debbie
  • CALIECAT
    Options

Debbie. so glad to see you back.

I have been on dthe 100 calorie diet every hour. waking hour. It has really made me feel better and Have kept my sugar in balance real good. Last night before bed time it was 119 and this morning 103. and I am losing weight too. I lost 1 lb last week and ansious to WI this Saturday to see what it is. I check my blood sugar often and keep a real close eye on it.Here is a typital day for me
    7:30--- yogurt
    1/4 c eggbeater. 1 sl whole wheat toast
    9:30
    3 wheat crackers , 2 T hummis
    10:30 ----1 wedge of laughing cow, 1 sl. whole wheat bread
    11:30----yogurt
    !2:30---- 2 oz. grilled chicken , Mixed veggies, Small baked sweet potaoes
    1:30---- Freah strwberries , 1 sl. whole wheat bead
    2:30
    2 T. Hummus, Celery sticks.3 crakers
    3:30---- cucumbers--3 crackers
    4:30---- 1 T peanut butter, 1 sl of whole wheat bread
    5:30
    Big salad with lots of fresh veggies,2 oz chicken, 3 Crackers
    6:30----Yogurt
    8:30---latte with 1/3 c of powder milk

:
    That usally finish my day off. You never get hungry for your tummy is always full. and never over loaded.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :

Have a womderful day
  • happygirl518
    Options
    Hi Calie, and those that follow. Just checked my sugar and is 307 after eating. Hasn't been this high in awhile. Perhaps I am going to have to try what you have been doing with the eating more frequently. Haven't been exercising like I was and can see now that when I was with eating the test results were much better. This diabetes is sure difficult to manage, though I know many do, I find it very frustrating. Does anyone else feel that way?

I really commend the person here that is trying to prevent getting diabetes because of all they have learnt from their loved ones who have it. I wish I had taken better care of myself and not let my obesity lead to this. None of my family were diabetic so I am a first for my family that I know of. I also think I am showing signs of cellulitis. The front part of my calves are slightly red and though nobody has came out and said too much about it, last time I was at the hospital for anything a nurse ask me about it and was it normal for me. I feel sometimes like I am falling apart here. That old saying "growing old gracefully", sure doesn't describe me by any means, LOL Pleasant thought though.

Well I will stop all the whining, such is life and I do my best and its all I can do and take whatever comes my way. Take care everyone. Debbie
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Debbie are you on any medications? That is way too high. get it in check now! For you will have problens later on. I did. I have had a light stroke, a minor heart problems My feet and legs hurt all the time.. The whole works. watch those carbs. Does you doctor want you to check after you eat. When II was on oral medication They had me checking 2 hours after I eat. For it to be 180 or under. Now that I am on insulin I am on a fast acting insulin and They have me check before I eat to see how much insulin I need. I am going to a diabetes specalist and she finally got me streighen out And feel so much better. Except it is so hard to lose weight.. You ought to get your Doctor to send you to one now.!

Debbie this is your # 1 health problem. Losing weight is part of it and exercise. Now I admit I don't do much exercise. For my leg, feet and back wont let me. I have been doing a chair exercise on DVD. And it helps a lot.. You got to get it under control .

Tthat's enought of that. So glad to see you back here.. This diet seems to be helping me a lot. I go to my diabtes doctor next week and see what she has to say about it. I just cannot overload on carbs. I am eating 15 g per meal. and it seems to be working just fine for me.

You are not whinning, you are seeking help. I wish Wolf would post more often. we could used him.

Hang in there Debbie.
    Marie
  • happygirl518
    Options
    Calie thank you so much for your words of encouragement. Yes, I have Gluophage and have not been taking it as I hate taking meds. but I see that I am totally wrong with that attitude. I hurt myself a week ago walking and have not gotten back into it, but the weather is clearing up and I am going to begin again. I know better, I just am not following through, and stress isn't helping the situation either.

I vow to do better and I thank you for taking personal interest in me and heading me in the right direction. My eating right is all that I have not given up on, I have the drive and determination I do.....I will seek the help and stop toying with the denial that really I think it the main curse here. I don't want to be diabetic, and I told my doctor that. He looked me in the eye and said, "you can't wish this away, you have it and you have to learn to live with it." I resented him for that, but yet, I do respect him, and he has always been straightforward with me. He told me not to set my goals too high that losing weight and having diabetes is difficult and slow going. I see now that I took things way too personal, and he was just being honest with me. The truth hurts and I have to change my attitude to change my life.

Thank you Calie and I hope in something I have said here, and I am being totally honest, as you can't change what you don't acknowledge that I can help someone else who like me, don't want to live with this illness, and yet I must, its doable, its just learning and living in a whole new way!!!
    Love to all,
    Debbie
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    DEBBIE, I SO LIKE YOUR ATTITUDE THIS MORNING.
    Yes we do have to learn with it. And I must admit i was in denail too for so many years. I didn't have any friends with diabutes so I had no one to talk to about it. Thats one of the reasons I wanted so much for this thread. To have someone to talk to about it. Wolf has it and can be such a good help to us. Just wish he had more time to spend with us.

I am paying for my ignorence now. We didn't have much help in my earliery stage. Just watch your diet. But What kind? I think I am on the right track now. At least my Blood sugar is under control and all of my other blood test turn out fine. By living in my old ways I delope Kidney problems and now have to visit a kidney doctor every 8 months. She says it is much better. So I feel good about that.

Debbie take that medication. As you get older you may have to go on Insulin as most of us do as we aged.
    take care of it now.
    I don't mean to be preaching to you but do not want you to end up like me. I am here for you if you need me.
    Marie

MOVEMENT IS GOOD MEDICATION
  • happygirl518
    Options
    :heart: Marie, as tears run down my face I know you know the pain I feel in accepting what we don't want and wanting better and only hoping its not too late. I have really done some deep soul searching and I am so glad for the friend I have found in you here. Only those with this disease truly can embrace and understand what we feel and know what we are going through.

As for the diet, I am on a 1500 calorie diet and log my foods daily, some days I have not gotten in all my calories though I have been satisfied so I know that could be part of my problem with the weight loss as well. Its hard when you are overweight to get in your mind that you have to eat to lose, when you feel it was the eating that got you where you are in the first place. I do find when I eat something every 2-3 hrs. I am much better and so I am trying to have 5-6 small meals per day instead of 3 meals a day. I do watch the carbs., and fat as well as my sodium. Keeping my sodium in check has made a tremendous difference and my legs and feet don't hurt like they use to. Its alot to take in and change and its a slow learning process, but I am so glad that we have this group to share our thoughts and encourage others through our words and actions.

A million hugs Calie for reaching out to me and taking the time to support and care it means more than you know.
    Love, Debbie:heart:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    :heart: This :heart: 100:heart: calorie per meal :heart: is working:heart: Lost 2 lbs this week:heart: makes 12lbs.:heart: I am so happy to find something that works for me:heart: .Never give up.
    Marie
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Good morning everybody, A nice sunny day outside. today. Been for a little walk with Jerry and Sammy and caliecat. Now it is time for my second breakfast of veggies, egg beaters and 1 sl of toast. Had my yogurt an hour earlier. Love this eating all the time. I guess its my style. I like to eat all the time.

Will be back later.

Marie
  • Wolf843
    Wolf843 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I’m sorry about my long absence! I would love to answer a question posed by K2T4e2n6 asking about preventing diabetes.

As I alluded to in an earlier post, diabetes is a problem with the hormone insulin. In Diabetes Mellitus Type I the pancreas loses the cells that produce insulin, and therefore requires insulin injections to replace the missing insulin. In Diabetes Mellitus Type II, which is much more common, the peripheral tissues that use insulin start to become resistant or less sensitive to insulin. While no one knows exactly why this happens, it appears to be due to a decreased number of insulin receptors on tissues and/or they do not work as well as they should. We do know that there seems to be 2 main components that play a part in this phenomenon.

1. Genetics—We know that there is a strong genetic component to developing diabetes. If you have a family member with diabetes, it significantly increases the chance that you can develop diabetes. Unfortunately, there is not a lot we can do about this factor.

2. Obesity—In particular, central obesity, meaning the fat that is around your organs in your abdomen, secrets a group of hormones called adipokines (adipo meaning fat and kine meaning cytokine or cell hormone signal). Some studies have found that certain adipokines can contribute to insulin resistance. Therefore, we can deduce that the less fat we have, the less adipokines and consequently less insulin resistance. This is very good news! This means that if we can limit how much fat we have, then it should very significantly decrease the chance of developing diabetes. In fact, people who have developed Type II Diabetes and then lose weight, can actually ‘cure’ their diabetes. Meaning that they do not have to take any medications for it!

So the best way to prevent the development of Type II Diabetes is just as Calliecat stated—to keep a healthy weight, exercise & eat well. That combination will not only prevent diabetes, but a whole multitude of other diseases as well!