Diabetes Support Group~~~Part 1

Options

Replies

• beyondchowhound
    beyondchowhound Posts: 2,102 Member
    Options
    Hi !
    looks like my friend has not really got into this site yet. One day I hope. She is on here though but I don't think she logs her food or anything.
    Yes I am way up in Canada. My igloo is starting to melt so I know summer is coming.
    My little chihuahua is losing a bit of weight also. My husband got cancer over the winter and we stopped having normal meals at the table with meat scraps for the dog so she is looking quite trim. I still do cook her a few sausages now and then. Husband is recuperating after chemo and radiation and seems to be doing well.
    Have a great day!!
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Hello Chowhound, so sorry to hear about you husband illness. They can do wonders now. I will keep a prayer in my heart for you and him.
    You need to post some pictures of your part of the country so we can learn more. but I could never live in that cold weather. Would love to see a good snow evey once in awhile. Every 5 or 6 years we will get a decent snow. But usally it is just ice. And thank goodness not too often.

Glad your husband is doing well. I do keep etting on to Jerry about giving Sammy his scraps of bacon, ham, ice cream and snacks of cookies They have their cookie break at 3 in the afternoon. and ice
    cream on Fri. Sat. and Sunday nights.And he wonder why he is fat. My husband is not but the little dog is..

Caliecat
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Chowhound I didn't realize you are a young senior/ Why don't you join us on The Seniors Golden Sneakers Club They are all in their 50 and on up to me at 78. We do have one airforce gal that is deployed over in Afgh. But you would love her. She is such a Dear. Caliecat
  • ellens292
    ellens292 Posts: 176
    Options
    The beginning of a new week.

Morning Caliecat, sorry you had a rough nite. Have a rest this afternoon maybe? Are you still logging your calories while you are doing South Beach? Or simply following the eating plan. YOu are doing well.

Chowhound - I hope your husband is feeling better after all that treatment. Life can be really tough sometimes.

I hope to get in some walking again, and by WI Wednesday have lost enough to take me below where I was when I started this. I think I mentioned that I had promptly gained 3lbs after I started and that seems to be gone now. Just keep going, right? And sooner or later it will come off.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Good morning, I am going to be posting in both threads.............

I am surprised at the Doctors that tell their patients to lower fat, have higher cars at supper and say it is ok to consume a food that has up to 15 grams of carbs in it..........

My doctor told me nothing over 5 grams of carbs, unless it was a fruit or a vegetable. Breads, rice and pasta are out unless I either make it from alternative sources.

My protein / fat / carb ratios are as follows:

15% Carbs
    20% Protein
    65% Fat

This is in line with the way MY Doctor recommends. I go to a diabetic endocrinologist. He only sees diabetics or people that have Insulin resistance or metabolic syndrome because they are on their way to developing diabetes.

Do any of you see an endocrinologist or a regular family practice doctor?
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Lioness----So glad to see you join us. You will be a big help to us. I go to my end. and primary doctor every 2 months. they are proud of what I have done so far. I have not told them about the SBD yet. Will my next visit. I go in for a stress test this Thurs. to see about a by passed on my circulations problen I have. I think there is one more test he needs to run to find out for sure. I have a lot of medical problems beside my diabetic, which is why I have these problems. Wish all of this was available 20 years ago. whem i was firsst dianoise with it. Thru out the years I have had no one to talk about this to. Except my doctors. My blood work now is in the 6 group now after being a high of 7 or 8 most of the time.Everthing else is fine.

Hi chowhound---I know you are not a diebetic but getting your weigh down is really inportant so you will not get it. glad your husband is feeling better. Well this is Sammy WI and he had a small gain. So me and him need to hit the trail again. Your little dog is so cute. Is the one the only one you have. We have a cat name guess what? Calicat. She usally go with us.

Ellen---Keep up the good work. It seems to be working for you. Love hearing from you.

Caliecat
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Here is a recpie from SBD , tjhat souns good. Thought I would share it with you guys. Caliecat

Tex-Mex Spinach OmeletStart to Finish: 25 minutes

Ingredients
    1 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, or 4 eggs
    1 tablespoon snipped fresh cilantro
    Dash salt
    Dash ground cumin
    Nonstick cooking spray
    1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeño chile peppers, reduced-fat cheddar cheese, or reduced-fat Swiss cheese, shredded (1 ounce)
    3/4 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
    1 recipe Corn-Pepper Relish
    Directions
    1. In a medium mixing bowl beat egg product, cilantro, salt, and cumin with a whisk or rotary beater until frothy.

2. Coat an unheated 10-inch nonstick skillet with flared sides with cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium heat or until skillet is hot.

3. Pour egg mixture into prepared skillet. Cook, without stirring,until egg mixture begins to set on the bottom and around edge. Run a spatula around edge of skillet, lifting egg mixture so uncooked portion flows underneath. Continue cooking and lifting edges until egg mixture is almost set. Sprinkle with cheese. Top with three-fourths of the spinach and half of the Corn-Pepper Relish. Using the spatula, lift and fold an edge of the omelet partially over filling. Top with remaining spinach and the remaining relish. Cut omelet in half; transfer omelet to warm plates.

Corn-Pepper Relish: In a small bowl combine 1/4 cup chopped red sweet pepper; 1/4 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed; 2 tablespoons chopped red onion; and 1 tablespoon snipped fresh cilantro. Makes: 2 servings

Nutrition Facts
    Calories 142, Total Fat (g) 5, Saturated Fat (g) 3, Cholesterol (mg) 12, Sodium (mg) 393, Carbohydrate (g) 9, Fiber (g) 2, Protein (g) 17, Vitamin C (DV%) 70, Calcium (DV%) 16, Iron (DV%) 18, Vegetables (d.e.) .5, Very Lean Meat (d.e.) 2, High-fat Meat (d.e.) 5, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Lioness----So glad to see you join us. You will be a big help to us. I go to my end. and primary doctor every 2 months. they are proud of what I have done so far. I have not told them about the SBD yet. Will my next visit. I go in for a stress test this Thurs. to see about a by passed on my circulations problen I have. I think there is one more test he needs to run to find out for sure. I have a lot of medical problems beside my diabetic, which is why I have these problems. Wish all of this was available 20 years ago. whem i was firsst dianoise with it. Thru out the years I have had no one to talk about this to. Except my doctors. My blood work now is in the 6 group now after being a high of 7 or 8 most of the time.Everthing else is fine.

Hi chowhound---I know you are not a diebetic but getting your weigh down is really inportant so you will not get it. glad your husband is feeling better. Well this is Sammy WI and he had a small gain. So me and him need to hit the trail again. Your little dog is so cute. Is the one the only one you have. We have a cat name guess what? Calicat. She usally go with us.

Ellen---Keep up the good work. It seems to be working for you. Love hearing from you.

Caliecat

Most of the issues you are having where your circulation, heart, eyes, etc are concerned are complications from the diabetes........

Oh yes, I wish this information was around 20 years ago when I was a teenager, maybe my grandma would stil be alive.

She had glaucoma, heart problems, circulation issues that led to amputations............I keep these images in my mind because I will not have the mindset that her Dr allowed her to have. Her doctor allowed her to think that it is ok to eat the piece of apple pie because it had apples in it and she took her insulin shots..............
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Here is a recpie from SBD , tjhat souns good. Thought I would share it with you guys. Caliecat

Tex-Mex Spinach OmeletStart to Finish: 25 minutes

Ingredients
    1 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, or 4 eggs
    1 tablespoon snipped fresh cilantro
    Dash salt
    Dash ground cumin
    Nonstick cooking spray
    1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeño chile peppers, reduced-fat cheddar cheese, or reduced-fat Swiss cheese, shredded (1 ounce)
    3/4 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
    1 recipe Corn-Pepper Relish
    Directions
    1. In a medium mixing bowl beat egg product, cilantro, salt, and cumin with a whisk or rotary beater until frothy.

2. Coat an unheated 10-inch nonstick skillet with flared sides with cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium heat or until skillet is hot.

3. Pour egg mixture into prepared skillet. Cook, without stirring,until egg mixture begins to set on the bottom and around edge. Run a spatula around edge of skillet, lifting egg mixture so uncooked portion flows underneath. Continue cooking and lifting edges until egg mixture is almost set. Sprinkle with cheese. Top with three-fourths of the spinach and half of the Corn-Pepper Relish. Using the spatula, lift and fold an edge of the omelet partially over filling. Top with remaining spinach and the remaining relish. Cut omelet in half; transfer omelet to warm plates.

Corn-Pepper Relish: In a small bowl combine 1/4 cup chopped red sweet pepper; 1/4 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed; 2 tablespoons chopped red onion; and 1 tablespoon snipped fresh cilantro. Makes: 2 servings

Nutrition Facts
    Calories 142, Total Fat (g) 5, Saturated Fat (g) 3, Cholesterol (mg) 12, Sodium (mg) 393, Carbohydrate (g) 9, Fiber (g) 2, Protein (g) 17, Vitamin C (DV%) 70, Calcium (DV%) 16, Iron (DV%) 18, Vegetables (d.e.) .5, Very Lean Meat (d.e.) 2, High-fat Meat (d.e.) 5, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

This sounds really good. Think i will make it except for leaving out the corn.
  • ellens292
    Options
    Dear Lioness,
    That sure sounds like a high proportion of fat, but an endo doc should know what's best for you. I just see my family doc and check in the diabetes clinic and their doc when needed now that I seem to be stablized, at least in the blood glucose department. Are you on insulin? I have type 2 and am on metformin only so far. I see that my goal weight is the same as yours. Right now it seems a looooong ways to go.
    Ellen
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Dear Lioness,
    That sure sounds like a high proportion of fat, but an endo doc should know what's best for you. I just see my family doc and check in the diabetes clinic and their doc when needed now that I seem to be stablized, at least in the blood glucose department. Are you on insulin? I have type 2 and am on metformin only so far. I see that my goal weight is the same as yours. Right now it seems a looooong ways to go.
    Ellen

Fat is healthy for you. It helps to absor nutrients from the food you eat, helps keep you full longer, does NOT increase your cholestrol as previously thought..........

My Dr told me you can have high fat or high carbs...........diabetics don't need high carbs, so a high fat diet is more healthy for a diabetic in the absence of carbs.........

I bought a new book over the weekend, Called Eat FAT, Get THIN. It is similar to SBD and Atkins in that it is low carb also.

I will be reading it and let everyone know what I have learned so far.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    So Lioness how would you modified that SBC recipe to go with atikins? I am interest in your new book. Keep us informed.
    Calie
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    So Lioness how would you modified that SBC recipe to go with atikins? I am interest in your new book. Keep us informed.
    Calie

Use regular, full-fat cheese instead of low fat and take out the corn.

Other than that, it is a great low carb recipe for me and anyone that does Atkins........
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    I was going to ask you how you would modify This recipe . It sound pretty good. Need to make a run to the store and pick up some fresh eggs.
    Caliecat
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    HI everybody, Been a busy girl today. got my walk in and had my dance with richard simmons and been to the store Now I got to do laundry.

Meals are going great today.

I just have my goal set at 160 on acct. of my age, But may go lower as the time goes by. Its acording how I feel about it then. But I am so please with the way I am eating now.

Have a great day.
    Caliecat
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Good morning,

It is going to be a great Day. I can just feel it in my old bones.
    tpday is grocer shopping day. Got to get my list made out.
    I am doing great on this Southbeach Diet. Its always nice to see the scale going down. I am into A pair of pants this morning That I hadn't wore in two years. Like I said this is going to be a great day.
    I got the Richard Simmons DVD dthe other day and just love it.

Do your exercise and watch those thos carbs. take you medication and have a blast.

Caliecat
  • ellens292
    Options
    Sounds like you are celebrating, Caliecat.
    I love getting outside more now. The blossoms are glorious. And it's so much easier to get more exercise too.
    Ellen :love:
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Hi everyone!!

Since getting back to doing Atkins hard core, my blood sugars are on the low side of normal........

Now I have to get myself eating more!!! :noway: :noway:

I wish it would stop raining here so i could get out and enjoy the warm weather!!!
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    I can't believe I haven't posted here tody/ But I don't see it. so here I am. Sorry about that.

Well I had a very busy day today/ Had a stress test early this morning. And it is so hot. My husband has not turn the a/c on yet. He doesn't get hot like I do. He knows once we start it up it will be every day.
    Hey every body else is missing too. Where are you.

talk to you tomorrow
    .Caliecat
  • beyondchowhound
    beyondchowhound Posts: 2,102 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Caliecat I just realized you asked me about my little dog. She's a chihuahua from Tokyo. One of my sons lives there. Kind of a rescue thing. Bit of a story. My husky was named Hoki and we had to put him down a year ago. We still have his ashes, sigh. We still miss him of course. I have a tabby cat also, named Sophie.
    I was doing really well all week and seem to be blowing it again. It seems I can't be good all the time. If I get sad or mad, I start eating. (I know it when I'm doing it that it is just an excuse to eat) Not really a lot though. Usually I am about 1350 calories and then my blow it days I am about 2000 calories. It almost seems like I try to sabotage. hmmmmm Sounds like I need a session on the couch. haha:smile: