Diabetes Support Group~~~Part 1

Replies

• khoolette
    khoolette Posts: 73
    Hi gals~ feeling blah today. My monthly weigh in isn't until the 21st but I weighed today just to get an idea and I weigh the same I did a month ago! This is so frustrating for me. I have been on MFP for 7 weeks, and started exercising/cutting back on food two weeks before that. So in 9 weeks I have only lost 6 pounds. I know slow is better~ but my diet is so much better now than it was 9 weeks ago and I'm exercising at least 4 days a week. I wasn't exercising at all before. I really thought I'd be losing weight faster :0(
  • ellens292
    ellens292 Posts: 176
    Hey, Khool, 6 is good. Much better than none, much, much better than going the other direction. Hard to keep going when you don't see the results you expected, but as you say, your diet is better, your exercise level is good and you are going the right way. Keep going, gal.
    Ellen
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Hello everybody, Its been a few days since I dropped in.. So I thought i would pop in.
    Hope this find all doing great. I had a very successful week. Lost 5 lbs. this past week. Make me feel great. But we went out to eat and I overdid it tonight. So a light day for me tomorrow. Going to make a tuna salad for sandwiches in the morning. Will have my spinach souffle for breakfast.,with a porch egg.
    I really like it for breakfast.

Have a wonderful night and see you guys tomorrow. Calie
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    I am sitting here eating a rib eye steak with grilled onions, peppers and tomatos. I know, it is only 2:15 am, LOL..................
  • jdhall
    jdhall Posts: 76
    Hello everyone! I have been out of town to a wedding, so eating was not the greatest, all is still good though!

Callie great job with the 5 pounds, keep up the good work! :happy:

Khool, just keep working on it, you will continue to loose. It is very frutrating when it is so slow! Those plateaus make you crazy, just ignore them and keep eating healthy!

Take care all! It was wonderful seeing family this past weekend, I am very tired though from all the driving.
  • Hi Everyone!

I am a newly diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic and am struggling with the reality of it all. :noway:

For some background, I am not new to T2D -- my mom had it and my dad has it too. My mom was dx when i was in high school but didn't do much about it until it was too late (she suffered from macular degeneration, sharko foot/numbness, multiple heart probs, etc.) She passed away in Jan 2007 from either a heart attack or stroke (she passed in her sleep) but also from complications from the diabetes.

I always got on her case about eating right and eating enough, checking her sugar, and taking her meds. She was a stubborn patient! :tongue: My dad has his bs numbers under control for the most part but recently had to go on insulin (he eats ice cream A LOT).

Anyhow, I am adjusting to the changes required of me and am *very* determined to change my diagnosis!

Thanks for the support here -- it helps to know I am not alone!!!!! :happy:

~sheila
  • ellens292
    Welcome, Sheila, The support here really does help. It's hard to face the reality of diabetes.Sorry about your Mom. But I can say that losing weight does help, a lot! Are you on metformin? I found taking that helped with the cravings too. And since I've lost some weight have even been able to cut back from 5 a day met, to 3 and the blood glucose is still down.
    Callie, you are doing so well. I am struggling, weight up, scales up anyway, and I'm assuming they are telling the truth. but at least the blood sugars are staying down. doing better with exercise, will have to have more 'light days' as you call them - good plan.
    Lioness, what are you doing up at 2am?? but at least you are eating healthy!
    Have a good day all of you. Talk later.
    Ellen
  • ellens292
    Hey, JD. Welcome back. HOpe you can catch up to yourself. Nice to get away, wonderful to get home. At least that's the way I usually feel.
    Ellen
  • CALIECAT
    Welcome shella, You not alone. there are a whole bunch of us out there. some are still in denialed But is is there. Sorrry to hear about your Mom. glad your dad is taking care of hisself. It is a rought road to be on. We just have to take one day at a time.

Yes Leanlioness what are you doing up eating at 2:15 Am?. I was up but was not time to eat.Well I overdid it eating out last night but Back on track this morning. I ate it just because it was there, but paid for it last night.

Ellens, How is the fire? Must be under controlled by now.

Jdhall glad to hear from you.

Marie
  • jdhall
    Sheila Welcome! I hope we can help you in anyway. You will do well, you have to remember you will and are taking better care of yourself than your mother did, sorry to hear about her. My mother was very stubborn when it came to doing what she was suppose to. She said she was going to eat and be happy after she had her open heart done. She only lasted 10 years after that. I think all the time that is going to happen to me. Then I think I am not doing all the stuff she did, I do not smoke, I have always drank the right milk and I do not use LARD! I cringe to think of that in my food. Anyhow, you will be just fine, and the registering of all the food you take in and looking at the fats, proteins, carbs etc. will help a lot! So you hang in there and let us know if you need anything. :happy:
  • khoolette
    khoolette Posts: 73
    Well, today is my two month weigh--in. I mentioned the 6 lb. loss the first month.. The second month I lost absolutely nothing. Didn't gain either. What kind of exercise are you all doing? I am getting bored with walking. I have an eliptlcal...but I have read that you need to change up your exercise, so you body doesn't become "immune" if that makes any sense.
  • CALIECAT
    khool. all I am doing is walking for the time being. take a differnce route. or trail. I have to used a walker so I don't get to go very far. but some is better than one. As soon as kool weather gets here to stay. I will get my hubby take me to one of our trails. I used to love walking them 5 or 6 years ago. But I have slow down somewhat. Well a whole lot. To me walking is the best.

Calie:heart:
  • jdhall
    Well, I walk sometimes and I ride my bike ocassionally and I swim some. I live in Florida, so sometimes it gets to hot! But I just change it around some for a different look and feel. Don't let yorself get bored with it, just keep at it. Anything you can do will help. :happy:
  • LeanLioness
    Welcome, Sheila, The support here really does help. It's hard to face the reality of diabetes.Sorry about your Mom. But I can say that losing weight does help, a lot! Are you on metformin? I found taking that helped with the cravings too. And since I've lost some weight have even been able to cut back from 5 a day met, to 3 and the blood glucose is still down.
    Callie, you are doing so well. I am struggling, weight up, scales up anyway, and I'm assuming they are telling the truth. but at least the blood sugars are staying down. doing better with exercise, will have to have more 'light days' as you call them - good plan.
    Lioness, what are you doing up at 2am?? but at least you are eating healthy!
    Have a good day all of you. Talk later.
    Ellen

I get up between 1:30 and 1:45 to fix me and my hubby breakfast and also to pack his lunch. It is the least I can do for my honey bunny...............

Friday is my birthday and Saturday is my 11th wedding anniversary. I am getting old.

I have had steak every day since Sunday. I am losing very, very well eating big, fat juicy ribeyes everyday..............Next weeks weigh in should make me into the 190's....................

I am addicted to ribeyes with Montreal Steak Seasoning and caesar salad with freshly grated parmesan and slivered almonds (nice subsitute for croutons).
  • ellens292
    You think you are getting old. Dear Lioness, honey, you 'ain't seen nothin' yet'!!
    And here I am, close to twice your age, and still working on losing weight. You are doing so well. I just gained a few lbs. Got to cut those carbs. I guess withdrawal is the hardest part. I've been pretty careless of late and it is showing. A little seems to lead to more.
    Keep up the good work, L.
    Ellen
  • LeanLioness
    You think you are getting old. Dear Lioness, honey, you 'ain't seen nothin' yet'!!
    And here I am, close to twice your age, and still working on losing weight. You are doing so well. I just gained a few lbs. Got to cut those carbs. I guess withdrawal is the hardest part. I've been pretty careless of late and it is showing. A little seems to lead to more.
    Keep up the good work, L.
    Ellen

Thanks.

The main reason it is getting easier and easier for me to cut the carbs and watch what I eat is I am off all medications and intend to stay that way...............Also, I am listening to my body and it is telling me that the grain carbs in bread, cereal, etc are not good for my body, so I easily stay away...............
  • LeanLioness
    I am going to post this in my blog also, but I just need to ramble on amongst friends................

Today would have been my mom's 54 birthday and tomorrow is my birthday. This makes my birthday really depressing. I don't feel well, think I am getting a cold, I feel down and mopey because of today and my husband is being ungrateful, complaining about what I didn't get done, instead of what I DID get done....................

I think he is going through a pre mid-life crisis. I got up and was moving slow this morning. I got breakfast made and started his lunch and he got in a huff about not having his lunch packed already...........started an argument with me and then stormed out of the house..............So, on top of already feeling down, I feel even worse. I feel like a worthless wife and he is making it sound like his world is crashing down upon him. Hell, I could be like most wives and not get up at all, I told him he was being ungrateful and he doesn't see it that way.................It should be an all or nothing thing. Either I get it all done or I don't do anything at all.............
  • ellens292
    :heart: Hey, Callie, You keep going no matter what, good for you. Are you able to use the trike now at all?

:heart: Lioness, I won't be on tomorrow, so happy birthday in advance. Hope you have a better day. We sure miss our Mom's. It always seems way too soon to lose them. It reminds me to continue to be there for my family, there's no one like a Mom to care. I could adopt you for the day??:smile:

How are you doing, Khool? and JD?

I'll be off for a week or so, hope I have better news from my scale when I get back.
    You all keep up the good work.

Ellen
  • jdhall
    I am doing well thank you for asking Ellen. Hope you enjoy your trip. I know what you guys mean about our Mom's they are the best, I miss mine very much, She has been gone 16 years and I still think of her everyday.

Lioness I hope you have a great Birhtday! :drinker: Just ignore your hubby, They can be a pain sometimes, but he still loves you! :heart:

Callie that is great the you are out walking even if it is with your walker. I was glad to hear your kidney results came back good.

Everyone stick with your plans and it will all be good. God is watching over us! :glasses:
  • LeanLioness
    I am not posting in any other forums except this one, and the 2 low carbing forums I post in.

I am so tired of getting bashed for how I eat and live my lifestyle, tired of being told my advise is not credible, etc................

I am on the verge of leaving this site for good.