Diabetes Support Group~~~Part 1

Options

Replies

• CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Hi you guys, Well I am back on the bus. I fell off a few weeks ago, but I am back on and going to stay on it now. Today is my first day. And I done good.Calie
  • beyondchowhound
    beyondchowhound Posts: 2,102 Member
    Options
    I fell off the bus too Calie. I am back on also. Hard to go on holiday and not indulge. I hope it comes off fast. I am retaining so much water because of the heat that I can't see my ankle bones. I just started on diuretics today. I just do them in the hot summer.
    Nice to see everything is ok with you.
  • happygirl518
    happygirl518 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    :heart: Hi Calie, and all that follow. Just dropping in to wish you all an enjoyable soon to be 4th of July. I love this holiday for its ooo's and aws, and all it stands for. We are getting ready this week to venture to Ohio's Amish Country to the First Town Days Festival so we will celebrate the holiday out of town. We are looking forward to this two day get away as we have not been anywhere in awhile with our remodeling and all.
    As for falling off the wagon I can't say I have fallen off completely, I am making healthy choices 98% of the time but for all that are diabetic the whole lose weight thing is a slow going process for many., and I am among them. I gauge my success away from the scales though I wish they were kinder to me, but I think its important that we get in tune with our bodies and focus more on how we feel.
    Ask ourselves, do I feel good, fatigued, drained of my energy, how is my #'s (from testing), assess your feet. Yes, many of us neglect our feet and it is essential to take care of them especially if you are diabetic. If buffing heels remember not to go too deep (can cause cracks and bleeding), soak them and use a pumice stone and gently buff away the dry callous, use your favorite choice of foot lotion and deeply massage into your feet and always wear well fitted comfortable shoes.
    Just an important fyi............my little girl and I have gotten into the routine of giving ourselves a foot spa treatment (as she calls it, she's nine) about twice a week. A little girl time one on one, but so relaxing and beneficial :)
    Well to your health, take care everyone, Happy 4th and I'll visit you all again real soon, promise
    love, Debbie
  • jdhall
    jdhall Posts: 76
    Options
    Hey all! I had a wonderful time with family while gone, reunions are so much fun! Of course I ate to much and gained 3 pounds, I know that is not a lot, but back on track today! Hope this finds eveyone doing well and hope all have a wonderful 4th! :happy:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Debbie so good to hear from you. I wish I was going with you on that Amish Festable/ We used to go to one in Okla I haven't been in years. I just loved looking at their quilts. So beautiful. And therir homemade icecream And all there other goodies.JUst a delightful trip. Along with the mud out in the cow passtures. It is held in Sept. During the raining seasons.
    Calie
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone............

We have Amish people moving into Southern Illinois and they are getting everything together.

I will be purchasing meats and locally grown veggies, fruits and nuts from them. Along with raw milk and eggs..........
  • jdhall
    Options
    Amish food is so good! :tongue:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone :happy:

My background:

Biological grandfather died of diabetes complications
    Biological mother died of diabetes complications and was injecting 4x daily for years before that.
    Had gestational diabetes with each of my 3 pregnancies, progressively more severe
    Last pregnancy, I had to inject insulin as gestational diabetes uncontrollable through diet
    Blood sugar is erratic, circulation is not good, healing is very slow.

So, although I do not 'technically' have full blown diabetes, I am being proactive and making big changes to try to fend it off for as long as possible.

Diet - decreasing carbs a great deal and increasing protein
    Exercise - working out at gym 3x a week, and am considering increasing to 6x
    Quit smoking 5 weeks ago
    Losing weight - need to lose approximately 30 lbs

Nice to meet you all!
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Nice to meet you Stormyweather. Its good that you are taking charge of you health now. This is a nice little bunch and we are all working toward a better life. I have really been watching my carbs and it helps a lot. Sorry to hear about your family. This is such a terrieable disease. Do take care of yourself.
    Thanks for posting
    Caliecat
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Hi everyone :happy:

My background:

Biological grandfather died of diabetes complications
    Biological mother died of diabetes complications and was injecting 4x daily for years before that.
    Had gestational diabetes with each of my 3 pregnancies, progressively more severe
    Last pregnancy, I had to inject insulin as gestational diabetes uncontrollable through diet
    Blood sugar is erratic, circulation is not good, healing is very slow.

So, although I do not 'technically' have full blown diabetes, I am being proactive and making big changes to try to fend it off for as long as possible.

Diet - decreasing carbs a great deal and increasing protein
    Exercise - working out at gym 3x a week, and am considering increasing to 6x
    Quit smoking 5 weeks ago
    Losing weight - need to lose approximately 30 lbs

Nice to meet you all!

Nice to meet you also!!!

Lets join each other in support and help one another watch those carbs that make our blood sugar unstable.

I posted a topic on the general about a couple of books............Here is the link. Worth reading and listening too....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/58672-has-anyone-read-the-diet-cure-and-the-mood-cure-by-julie
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Good morning

Another hot day. no rain in sight/ Jerry will have to start watering the grass soon. or It will all die,
    I have done real good on my eating.the last 3 days. Just getting back in the grooved.I hope it start showing up on the scales soon.

Hope everyone is doing fine and watching their diet.
    Have a great day.
    Calie
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Good morning.................

I am mad at myself.................I didn't stop by the grocery last night and pick up fruit and veggies for my morning Green shake. So, it was much smaller than usual. I got hungry and my blood sugar was steady dropping, had to stop by Hardee's and pick up a bacon, egg and cheese biscuit. I took off as much of the biscuit as I could, but some of it stuck to my cheese.........

I am feeling better and sugar stabilized, I was just unprepared this morning..............
  • jdhall
    Options
    Hello! Just dropping by to say; Hope everyone has a healthy and Hapyy 4th! :drinker:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Lioness, are you still off your Med? I got me a squash casserole baking for my supper. Its sure is smelling good. Will have that and a small salad and a glass of tes. Couple sl of whole wheat bread.
    The banana protein shake is really good. That will be my evening snack.
    Calie
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Lioness, are you still off your Med? I got me a squash casserole baking for my supper. Its sure is smelling good. Will have that and a small salad and a glass of tes. Couple sl of whole wheat bread.
    The banana protein shake is really good. That will be my evening snack.
    Calie

Yes, I am still off the meds....................I am now having issues with it going to low and not being high.........some day it will all balance out.
  • ellens292
    ellens292 Posts: 176
    Options
    We're home.

Great trip and time with 8 of the 10 GRANDkids.

Don't think I did as well with the scale on this trip tho'. In May visiting the 2 kids south of the border I actually lost a couple of pounds. This time, in Edmonton, I think I've gained some. Will wait till the am to say for sure.
    Time to get back with the program, right.

I was able to cut back the metformin tho' , from 5 to 4 in May, and now to 3 and so far my blood glucose is holding.

So glad to hear your surgery was successful, Calie.:heart:

Hope things even out for you Lioness.:smile:

JD, you are doing great.:smile:

Welcome to our new member. Sorry to hear about your family, you are definitely doing the right thing getting a handle on good health now and not waiting for full blown diabetes. Wish I had known then what I know now.

Talk to you all soon.

Ellen
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    So glad to see you back Ellen. You brought 8 of your grandkids home with you. If so you will be one busy girl. Great news on you med. cutting them down. How nice.
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Marie
  • ellens292
    Options
    Hi, Marie,
    No didn't bring and Grands home, but had time with them in Edmonton. A grad, grad party, family day out at an aviation museum, a school talent show, 2 awards ceremonies, an end of the season soccer game, etc, etc.
    Then a wonderful trip through the Rocky Mts. Glorious weather. I'll try and post a photo or 2 later.
    Yes, I'm excited about being able to cut back the diabetes meds.
    And this morning my weight looks like it at least held steady.
    Very hot here right now, tho' maybe not as hot as Texas.
    Happy 4th of July to all you American friends. We already celebrated, July 1st is Canada Day.
    Ellen.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Hello ellen, seems like everyone if off and staying busy this weekend. Jerry and I just stay home this weekend, [ Thats what you do when you get our age. ] We eating left overs from yesterday. So no cooking just a lazy day. I have a wonderful nap this afternoon.
    So how is your day going? Love Marie
  • ellens292
    Options
    Marie, Nice to have some relax time.
    We had church, then lunch with my sister and hubby whom we had not seen for a couple of weeks. Were able to sit outside on a shaded patio under trees, by a pool so it was really nice. A little hot at about 95 or so today, but probably not as hot as Texas.
    Just posted a new pic, will try to put some more up later. Still catching up on everyone's posts after being away.
    And I'm finding with logging my food that I am eating much more than I thot' I was. Have to plan ahead better.
    Enjoy your lazy day.
    Ellen