Diabetes Support Group~~~Part 1

Replies

• CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Thanks Wolf for the information. Is it true that you can 'cure' type 2 Diabetes. I have never heard that.before except for one of the girls here posted it That she did by exercisinfg and losing weiht. None of my Doctors ever told me that,. IN fact they never told me much of anything except lose weight and exercise. again thanks. Marie
  • CALIECAT
    I am still hanging in there. Fixing to make a run to the store. to pick up some small pita pockets and red peppers. Asnd any fruit that looks good.

Have a great day.
  • CALIECAT
    Hope everyone having the best of times this Wednesday moorning.
  • CALIECAT
    Here it is Wed. nite and have been a nice day. got my walk in. I order me a 3 wheel adult trike today. Hope I can handle it. They say if you used it it does wonderful for your blood Sugar I can't balance myself on a regular bike So I thought this will let me get out of the house. and exercise. I should get it the first of May. and DH will have to put it toether for me.

Have you did your exercise today. :drinker: your water, taken your medications? And stay on your eating program. thats make for a terrific day.

Good luck to all.
  • beyondchowhound
    beyondchowhound Posts: 2,102 Member
    My friend has type 11 diabetes and just went to the doc yesterday and asked that very question. If she were to lose 50 pounds, would she still have to inject insulin. His answer was no. If you lose the 50 pounds (or whatever she is overweight) she would not have to inject insulin. She had never asked that question before. Needless to say she is quite excited about losing weight now.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    I was diagnosed April 24, 2007 with type 2 diabetes, and I thought this really sucks! My whole family on my mom's side is diabetic. I told myself I not going to live with it. So, I got on meds early, started walking with my dog ALOT and really watching what I ate, how much, and when. I was able to to lose 22 lbs. in 9 months and got off the meds. Another 12 pounds later I got my A1C test and they told me I beat it. I finally was able to meet a goal. One year and a day later, (April 25, 2008) I was finally not diabetic. The doctor said I still have to check my sugars 3 days a week, keep up with my diet and walking, and I could beat for life. I was lucky I caught soon, and really did something about it.

I just wanted to tell my success story.:happy:

What a wonderful success story. And I have been told thruout the years there was no cure. If only we had your doctor and your determation to beat this monster. and do keep in touch with us.
    Caliecat:heart:

You can't beat type 1- but you can beat type 2 by losing weight and watching what you eat- Diabetes is very strong in my family and My uncle was considered diabetic he dropped 15-20lbs and he was in the clear--

I have another uncle who didn't care and didn't change his eating habits nor did he even consider losing weight- and lets just say Diabetes won that fight.--
    Don't think you have to settle because you have diabetes eat complex carbs rather than simple carbs- If you like french fries eat sweet potatoe fries- just an example- Carbs turn into sugar and sugar isn't what you need- Oatmeal is good too Plain though--
    Ok I will leave your thread just wanted to add my two sense
  • CALIECAT
    maryac, .thank you so much for posting agian. that is the best news I have heard in a long time. Will question my diabetic doctor in the moning. Have a 10 AM appt.. everybody need to
    read your sucess story. I wish I had known this 20 years ago.

Wolf is posting here and is a diabetic1. He is a doctor and he said the same thing.

Please drop in often. And keep telling your story to the people here.
    So proud of you and what you have accomplist. and getting your body in shape. Let us know how it turn out.:heart::heart: Good luck!

Marie
  • CALIECAT
    Chowhound, So nice for you to post again. I hope your friend join us here on the support group. and tell us her Story.

Marie
  • CALIECAT
    Good morning all,

Had a good night last night. So wonderful to see the new posts. Mrsyac and Chowhound, good luck to both of you on your weight. Mrsyac Has already beat the diabetic 11 and if she can do that she can do anything, and now lost th e weight and now improving her body. The best of luck, I' pullin for you. and Chowhound, Has a friend who has it and is detmined to lose the weight. Best of luck to her. be back Later ---Marie
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Good morning all,

Had a good night last night. So wonderful to see the new posts. Mrsyac and Chowhound, good luck to both of you on your weight. Mrsyac Has already beat the diabetic 11 and if she can do that she can do anything, and now lost th e weight and now improving her body. The best of luck, I' pullin for you. and Chowhound, Has a friend who has it and is detmined to lose the weight. Best of luck to her. be back Later ---Marie

I don't have nor have I ever had Diabetes I was just talking about my families experience with it- Thats why I chimed in.Sorry for the confusion
  • CALIECAT
    I am sorry mrsyca---these quotes is what thrre me. I need to pay closer attention, But this old menory is not what it used to be. And I did enjoy you stopping by and hope with all your activeaty you never get this disease. Best of luck in your adventures. I still have hope for me. Thanks for setting me streight.
    Marie
  • CALIECAT
    I went to the doc today and she said as long I have had diabetic. I would probaley not get off of insulin but will be able to cut down. She gave me some free insulin today. That will help the old pocket book.
    I got me a new hanbag and been getting it all arrange.. Now I wont know where nothing is.Just so I can find my debit card and cars keys. I'm all set.

See you later.
    Marie
  • CALIECAT
    Had a wonderul day and My blood sugar is well under control. It is an on going thing. My husband is having pizza tonight and it smells so good.. Got to figure out a way to have some one day. Maybe just a slice of it. Better than nothing. any ideals?

Marie
  • happygirl518
    happygirl518 Posts: 270 Member
    Hi Calie and all that follow. Good reading in the post here. Lots of hopefilled information that is good for the souls, those of us diabetic that is. I have discovered that stress was playing a big part in my #'s being high. Once I sort of removed myself from the situation I was in with a friend it seemed things improved. I knew I was making healthy choices and logging my foods and I even went so far to compare my choices to some diabetic diets I found online and that only reassured me that I was on the right track. So I began to access when the #'s went up and looking through my journal as to what was the culprit. Seems it was stress. Worrying over some things a good friend shared with me, and I was much to close to deal with it I guess. She is young enough to be my daughter and she and her husband I am terribly fond of. Anyway, I simply had to put things into perspective and once I did I saw an overall change and 2 lbs. lost that I had gained.
    Have been getting exercise in much through working around the house. We got the rest of our boxes and totes out of storage the other day so alot of lifting and lugging and then mowed grass (push) the other day and haven't had to do that in 2 yrs. so that was a work out for the old body let me tell ya. LOL
    I am so glad for all the support I have received here and clearly I think I will get this all figured out and hopefully kick this diabetes one day.
    It is 88 here today and terribly hot. Got the dinner over, center cut pork chops, pork and beans and baked potato for dinner and cold ice tea. Suppose to rain later this evening so maybe it will help out with our humidity that is terrible at the moment. My garden is sprouting with the rain from the other day, the cabbage and broccoli have started so that makes me happy, going to water the garden tonight once the sun goes down.
    Have a glorious day everyone!!!!
    Debbie
  • happygirl518
    Calie (just for you my dear)

This pizza suitable for diabetics uses a boboli crust or frozen bread dough, topped with a healthy spaghetti sauce, mozzarella cheese, vegetables and Canadian bacon or turkey sausage.

Ingredients
    Crust:
    1 large boboli-type crust or 1 loaf frozen Bread Dough, thawed and rolled to a 12- to 14-inch circle
    Sauce:
    Healthy Spaghetti Sauce recipe(don't add water so sauce will be thick) or purchased 1 pouch of Boboli Traditional Pizza Sauce
    Toppings:
    Vegetables--sliced tomatoes, sliced bell pepper, mushrooms, onions, etc. Meats--Canadian bacon (if you are not on a low-salt diet) or turkey sausage, cooked and drained.
    Cheese:
    1 cup part-skim mozzzarella, grated

Method
    Spread the sauce on the boboli crust or bread dough crust. Top with the Toppings of vegetables and/or meat and cheese. Bake at 400 degrees about 15 minutes or until the crust is done and the cheese is melted. Cut pizza into 10 slices, each slice will be about 20 to 25 grams carbohydrate and 1 to 2 oz. protein. Much lower in fat than commercial pizza and faster, too!

Notes: Bon Appetite!
    Number of Servings: 3 to 5 people

For more delicious recipes for diabetics go to : Better Recipes.Com
    I love italian food and pizza is a must have:blushing:
    Debbie :heart:
  • CALIECAT
    Hi Debbie
    so nice to hear from you.Thanks for the recipe for pizza and the web site. All sounds good. Wish they have their food value included. I had a 2 lb gain this morning. I was at my doc. this week and she said I was retaining fluid. So maybe it will drop down again. Still watching my food. My blood sugar is just fine. ood hearing from you.
    Caliecat
  • CALIECAT
    Howdy all.

A nice morning to all. I am thinking about making my husband a chocolate cake. Just hope I can stay out of it.Its time for lunch now, will have a nice peanut butter sandwich and glass of skim milk. Have a roast going for supper.

Hope you all have a pleasant Sunday.

Caliecat
  • happygirl518
    Morning calie and all that follow. Warm here today, and I am under the weather. Think I caught what my daughter had, so taking it easy today. We are due to get some much needed rain later today. DD is back at school today, but sent a note with her excusing her from gym as if she runs and gets overheated I know it will make her sick and she can't take her antibiotics til she comes home as they make her drowsy. The DH stopped by the school office and they said that was fine to keep her out of gym class the next 2 days. They do alot of running and that is the last thing she needs at this time.

Fixing a stew today for dinner, something care-free and simple yet heart healthy. Hope everyone is doing well.

Here's a quote I'd like to share: "Learn from yesterday, Live for today, and Hope for tomorrow"

Question of the Day: what spices do you like best and how do you use them?
    Mine is garlic, used mainly in sauces and love to add to potatoes roasting, or meats, and its good for fighting cancer and infections.

See you all later today,
    Debbie:heart:
  • CALIECAT
    Hi Debbie---
    glad your dd is feeling better and back in school

Everything here is fine. My back is given me problems and had to get my back brace out. You meal sounds great. I am having grilled chiocken , green beans and SF jello for lunch. For dinner I am having grilled fish chop veggie salad Will have a couple 100 snacks in between. I had gain 2 lbs last week but a lb came off this morning.. My doc said I was tetaining water. My bllod sugar is under control.

I like your quotes this morning. Thanks

Marie
  • happygirl518
    Hi CalieCat and all that follow. Well daughter is better and I think I caught what she had. So with that said, its suppose to rain today, and I am just going to take some meds and rest today.

Want to share this poem with you all this morning, this is near and dear to my heart>
    An Old Irish Blessing

May the road rise up to meet you
    May the wind always be at your back
    May the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again, May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

make it a good day everyone and I will see you tomorrow.

Debbie