Never eating Mickey D's again...

Options

Replies

• paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    every time junk crap food posts go up there a few really really cool people that will be awesome rebels who will tell you they eat it and are proud of eating it. WOW!

all it really means if they truly eat this processed garbage is they arent really serious about their health. thats ok...thats fine..its your choice...but it dont make you a rebel or a cool dude.

It's not like we eat it every.single.day I eat McDonald's like twice a year!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    every time junk crap food posts go up there a few really really cool people that will be awesome rebels who will tell you they eat it and are proud of eating it. WOW!

all it really means if they truly eat this processed garbage is they arent really serious about their health. thats ok...thats fine..its your choice...but it dont make you a rebel or a cool dude.
    Anything is fine in moderation. Relax champ.
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK and I don't hate Jamie Oliver or what they did to school dinners-in fct, I love the fact that I know my children can go to school and have a healthy meal on days when I am working late so I am assured they have had a hot meal for the day.

Personally, one of the reasons why I am limiting my own (and 2 childrens' ) fast food intake is because it is laden with sodium, sugar and fat. Once and a while is ok-everything in moderation!

My sister works as a primary school teacher and she tells me that the school meals are pretty tasteless now due to all the changes being made for health reason. BUT, the kids seem to still eat them quite happily so that can only be a good thing that they are used to eating nutritous food that isn't laden with salt and will be accustomed to how that tastes rather than craving high fat, high salt, high sugar foods.

What Jamie Oliver did was definately a good thing. It is just unfortunate that the budgets given to Councils to provide school meals are small because if the school cooks had a bit more money to play with I'm sure they could give the food more flavour with using herbs and spices and so forth since the unhealthy but flavourful ingredients have been reduced/taken out.
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options

My generation *hate* him with a passion. He took away the turkey twizzlers, sausages, things we enjoyed & left us with Salad & mashed potato!
    But I think you'll find schools have started putting the old stuff back on the menu to save parents delivering take-out to the kids over the school fence.

im not a food nazi, but SERIOSULY? are you reading your own posts?

Not only am I "reading" them but I'm typing them too, huh who would'a guessed?!
    I'm 18 & most kids my age hate Jamie Oliver for making school dinners healthy because we liked the food we had.
    I miss turkey twizzlers OKAY!

and no where in your logic do you think the change to junk being sold in schools has contributed to the massive childhood obesity problem in the UK?

The responsibility at that point is the government and local authorities, if the only food available is home cooked and nutritious they will eat it, the parents passing things through the gates are guilty of abuse.

its that simple.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

My generation *hate* him with a passion. He took away the turkey twizzlers, sausages, things we enjoyed & left us with Salad & mashed potato!
    But I think you'll find schools have started putting the old stuff back on the menu to save parents delivering take-out to the kids over the school fence.

I'm 18 & most kids my age hate Jamie Oliver for making school dinners healthy because we liked the food we had.

and no where in your logic do you think the change to junk being sold in schools has contributed to the massive childhood obesity problem in the UK?

The responsibility at that point is the government and local authorities, if the only food available is home cooked and nutritious they will eat it, the parents passing things through the gates are guilty of abuse.

its that simple.
    Wow, really? Abuse? I think I need to leave this thread alone before I lose more IQ points.
  • paulamarsden
    Options
    I'm in the UK and I don't hate Jamie Oliver or what they did to school dinners-in fct, I love the fact that I know my children can go to school and have a healthy meal on days when I am working late so I am assured they have had a hot meal for the day.

Personally, one of the reasons why I am limiting my own (and 2 childrens' ) fast food intake is because it is laden with sodium, sugar and fat. Once and a while is ok-everything in moderation!

My sister works as a primary school teacher and she tells me that the school meals are pretty tasteless now due to all the changes being made for health reason. BUT, the kids seem to still eat them quite happily so that can only be a good thing that they are used to eating nutritous food that isn't laden with salt and will be accustomed to how that tastes rather than craving high fat, high salt, high sugar foods.

What Jamie Oliver did was definately a good thing. It is just unfortunate that the budgets given to Councils to provide school meals are small because if the school cooks had a bit more money to play with I'm sure they could give the food more flavour with using herbs and spices and so forth since the unhealthy but flavourful ingredients have been reduced/taken out.

agree completely, the way to fix it is with grow your own schemes being introduced in EVERY school to teach self suffiency and provide veg/fruit to the kitchens.

James martin did an interesting show along similar lines in Scarborough hospital :)
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Yeah, after a visit to the ER on Monday, I had a taste for a small fry and chicken sandwich with cheese. It was tasty. Did I feel an ounce of guilt, yeah, but I got over it...
  • paulamarsden
    Options

Wow, really? Abuse? I think I need to leave this thread alone before I lose more IQ points.

Youve seen the British show? the parents passing their massively unhealthy spoilt children fish and chips through the school gates because they were having tantrums about being given healthy food at school? what else is it.
  • Kassileigh
    Kassileigh Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    That's not what I was insinutating-they are unhealthy and I think you know that.
  • paigemarie93
    Options

its that simple.

He didn't need to take away everything we actually liked though, he could have incorporated into the menu.
    Everything is fine in moderation.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options

Gotta disagree here. I eat junk food weekly, but not like eating a whole Mcdonald's meal. I'll just have a cheeseburger. And I'm very serious about my health. I get checkups every year, I push my body to it's limits, I get the rest I need, and I make sure to get in my essentials each and everyday. But part of my health is to enjoy my life. If I was stuck eating "health food" for the rest of my life, I'd be unhappy because I want that pizza or cheeseburger or fried chicken occasionally. Not enjoying foods you like can leave some depressed. I enjoy my life. Now I want a Mcrib.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Oh My that looks delicious. YUMM
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    James martin did an interesting show along similar lines in Scarborough hospital :)

Mmmm, James Martin. That man LOVES his butter! :wink:
  • paulamarsden
    Options
    turkey twizzlers, deep fried processed frozen carp isnt. certainly not to children.

kids like what theyre brought up eating. parents shouldnt be such ridiculous push overs.
  • paigemarie93
    Options

Couldn't really give one to be honest, they were lush!
  • mtppatrick
    Options
    Wow, so much ignorance and fear mongering in this thread. Either eat fast food or don't, but you don't have to resort to ridiculously false stories with zero basis of fact to make a point that it's unhealthy.

Heres some more factual (still disgusting info)

http://www.good.is/post/chicken-nuggets-is-that-how-they-re-made-a-good-fact-check/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKSoiDtdi9s
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Gotta disagree here. I eat junk food weekly, but not like eating a whole Mcdonald's meal. I'll just have a cheeseburger. And I'm very serious about my health. I get checkups every year, I push my body to it's limits, I get the rest I need, and I make sure to get in my essentials each and everyday. But part of my health is to enjoy my life. If I was stuck eating "health food" for the rest of my life, I'd be unhappy because I want that pizza or cheeseburger or fried chicken occasionally. Not enjoying foods you like can leave some depressed. I enjoy my life. Now I want a Mcrib.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

it has nothing to do with enjoying foods you like. I love a good pizza. I am talking about fast food crap that is so processed and laden with additives just to make it tasty (and cheap).

I even love fried chicken if its made properly. but give me a break....mdonalds type processed crap is not the same as foods we enjoy so that deprivation argument doesnt work
  • paigemarie93
    Options
    That's not what I was insinutating-they are unhealthy and I think you know that.

You said "Ok. Consider this-you may not have to count your calories if you hadn't had a childhood filled with 'Turkey Twizzlers'. "

You where calling me fat!
    Of course I know they're unhealthy, it's not like I ate a plate of 10 a day!
This discussion has been closed.