Any atheists/pagans/wiccans out there? :)

Options

Replies

• JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Atheists are a far cry from wiccans, I'd say :)

I'm agnostic.
  • crysmcd1
    Options
    i term myself spiritual rather than religious. in my mind there is "something" out there... something much bigger than us, bigger than we or any one book can describe. i also feel closer to this "something" when i am out running, i see a baby take his/her first step, and i hold the hand of someone who is dying... just my two cents.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I rather like being called a heathen. It sounds dirty! :laugh:

LOL ... it actually means "people of the heathers". And pagan is from paganus, which means country dweller
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Ahaha, I just put up the first ones I could think of! Anyone that doesn't subscribe to the "traditional" beliefs is more than welcome!
  • LilMermaid6411
    Options
    I've gotten my fair share of "concerned" emails from family members when I came out of the religion closet as agnostic. I live in the south now, so it's always an interesting conversation when it comes up somehow. It was a lot less of a conversation piece when I lived up north.
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Atheist leaning agnostic here.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    Atheists are a far cry from wiccans, I'd say :)

I'm agnostic.

I know, just wanted to throw the three biggest ones out there :)
  • MotivateMeg
    MotivateMeg Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I believe in the Almighty Flying Spaghetti Monster and surrender to the power of his noodley appendages.
  • sriggle75
    sriggle75 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    atheist here
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I've gotten my fair share of "concerned" emails from family members when I came out of the religion closet as agnostic. I live in the south now, so it's always an interesting conversation when it comes up somehow. It was a lot less of a conversation piece when I lived up north.
    I take cruel joy in skewering the sacred cows of the faithful....:drinker:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

I never came out with my agnosticism/atheism, but my family was worried when I picked up a copy of the Qu'ran to read.
  • wittlelacey
    wittlelacey Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Profound athiest since age eleven :)
  • chicago_dad
    Options
    Folks seem a little confused about definitions of things.

Atheists aren't violently ANTI-god, we are just NON-theistic in our beliefs. For atheists, it doesn't matter whether there is a god or not, and we don't believe in praying, or worshipping, or conversations with imaginary friends, etc. etc. We just tend to believe that it's good to be good to our fellow man, not out of fear of bad things in the after-life or promises of awesome things in the after-life, but just because it's good to be good to other people.

Agnostics aren't sure yet WHICH religion, if any, to follow, but tend to believe in a higher power people often refer to as god.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    How is this allowed now?

This will start arguments.. I don't see how this is allowed now by MFP? Just curious...
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Former catholic here. I would say agnostic because I can not prove there isn't a god. But if there is he's got some splanin' to do!
    I find religion to be such a destructive force it's almost satanic (against the principals of god) in itself. I can't imagine any intelligent being would be happy with what humanity has done in its name.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options

Atheists aren't violently ANTI-god, we are just NON-theistic in our beliefs. For atheists, it doesn't matter whether there is a god or not, and we don't believe in praying, or worshipping, or conversations with imaginary friends, etc. etc. We just tend to believe that it's good to be good to our fellow man, not out of fear of bad things in the after-life or promises of awesome things in the after-life, but just because it's good to be good to other people.

Agnostics aren't sure yet WHICH religion, if any, to follow, but tend to believe in a higher power people often refer to as god.

Often refer to "as" God? His name is GOD. When we talk about God, we are talking about God.

If not, then Budda would be "God" too and he is not.. because when people believe in God.. they actually believe in the same being, just different prophets.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    Apparently I am a God-basher because I went into the Christian thread (thinking it was about songs) and replied with (direct quote):" I don't think this really belongs here, personally. I would recommend a lot of really nice Christian/Catholic/what-have-you groups though, where you are free to discuss it. I won't be the one to report it, but trust me, it will most likely get taken down."

This is why I'm not a huge fan of (MOST!) of the Christians I've met. Because I was honestly trying to help to save her from any issues, it BECAME an issue. What the hell. It's okay, I have my own "god bashing" thread to be on ;)

Any pagans/wiccans? I did some research on Wicca and really loved it. I wouldn't called myself a practicing witch, because it's much too involved, but it was extremely interesting, and I still have a pentagram (somewhere >.>)
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    How is this allowed now?

This will start arguments.. I don't see how this is allowed now by MFP? Just curious...
    Read the new rules. However we can't discuss politics. Shhhhhh!
  • n003k
    n003k Posts: 58
    Options

Out of curiosity, what would you define someone as that constantly gets stuck in a logic loop and can't decide whether to believe whether there is, or isn't a divine being, and definitely hasn't settled on one religion...

That's kinda me, basically it goes: How could all this exist without a divine being? How could a divine being, infinitely more complicated than what exists, exist in and of itself? But how could all this exist without a divine being? Where would that divine being come from?

I tend to just call myself agnostic. :P
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    How is this allowed now?

It's the will of the LORD!
    God's law is higher than MFP - AMEN!
This discussion has been closed.