Any atheists/pagans/wiccans out there? :)

Options

Replies

• _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Folks seem a little confused about definitions of things.

Atheists aren't violently ANTI-god, we are just NON-theistic in our beliefs. For atheists, it doesn't matter whether there is a god or not, and we don't believe in praying, or worshipping, or conversations with imaginary friends, etc. etc. We just tend to believe that it's good to be good to our fellow man, not out of fear of bad things in the after-life or promises of awesome things in the after-life, but just because it's good to be good to other people.

Agnostics aren't sure yet WHICH religion, if any, to follow, but tend to believe in a higher power people often refer to as god.
    Agnostics believe there is a lack of evidence one way or another.

ag·nos·tic
    Noun:A person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    spiritualist here :)

Christened as a baby, raised as a baptist, dabbled with wicca, buddhism and paganism, read a LOT on other religions.

I dont believe in any one religion and saw so much hypocrisy for those who said that they did yet couldnt follow their own teachings. I believe in many different things and for an easy 'label' I used to just say I was a spiritualist pagan, now I'm just spiritual, it covers everything nicely I think and doesnt hammer me into a predetermined hole I need to fit into.
  • Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I was wiccan for a number of years but lost my faith in pretty much anything December 2009. I am a firm believer though in that things happen for a reason, and that if you are a good person it comes back to you.

The BF is satanic (not theistic satanism).

I was born catholic and christened, but we left the catholic church when my parents got divorced and the head of our church told my grandfather we could get back in if we paid $3,000 to them. We became Methodist, then I became my own person and, after a few years as an atheist, I became Wiccan. My mom converted of to Wicca as well. I spent a number of years as a solitary practitioner, just stopped believing in everything when my grandma passed in 2009.

406971_2525892515345_1494368330_32079269_1526070156_n.jpg
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I am atheist and have been since I was born. :) I have never ever believed in any higher power, no matter how much my Aunt, Sister Connie tried to make me.

There is an atheist forum here, but it is dead! Would love if some people would join and get us active!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/121-evil-incarnate-aka-mfp-atheists-
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    How is this allowed now?

This will start arguments.. I don't see how this is allowed now by MFP? Just curious...
    It's the will of the LORD!
    God's law is higher than MFP - AMEN!

:laugh: that was funny, but please try not bash or poke fun at any specific religion. :)
  • 1996gtstang
    1996gtstang Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    TIM TEBOW.

God's second son.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I've gotten my fair share of "concerned" emails from family members when I came out of the religion closet as agnostic. I live in the south now, so it's always an interesting conversation when it comes up somehow. It was a lot less of a conversation piece when I lived up north.

I'm lived in the South too.. and I remember in the South there is a church on every corner. .in the north there is not. I live in the North now, but do attend a wonderful church that is as beautiful as the mall :)
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options

Atheists aren't violently ANTI-god, we are just NON-theistic in our beliefs. For atheists, it doesn't matter whether there is a god or not, and we don't believe in praying, or worshipping, or conversations with imaginary friends, etc. etc. We just tend to believe that it's good to be good to our fellow man, not out of fear of bad things in the after-life or promises of awesome things in the after-life, but just because it's good to be good to other people.

Agnostics aren't sure yet WHICH religion, if any, to follow, but tend to believe in a higher power people often refer to as god.

Often refer to "as" God? His name is GOD. When we talk about God, we are talking about God.

If not, then Budda would be "God" too and he is not.. because when people believe in God.. they actually believe in the same being, just different prophets.
    Actually his name isn't god lol. The Christian god I am assuming you are referring to has many names. But the bible only calls him 'I Am who I am'.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

Ummm, NO.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options

Often refer to "as" God? His name is GOD. When we talk about God, we are talking about God.

If not, then Budda would be "God" too and he is not.. because when people believe in God.. they actually believe in the same being, just different prophets.

Not necessarily. If I do not believe in a god, I will not refer to "it: as God. I believe in many "beings" but not any gods, but I definitely do not believe in any of what the "traditional" beliefs are. :)
  • chicago_dad
    Options
    I'm personally agnostic on what anyone wants to call themselves. I'm aware of the myriad of dictionary definitions. The definition I offered is entirely consistent with the dictionary definition quoted by someone else above.

I'm just suggesting that there are way more atheists out there who self-label themselves agnostic, when in fact, they've pretty much made up their minds that the questions of whether god exists, what god is or does are entirely irrelevant, other than for providing knowingly false psychological comfort.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    What is Wiccan?

Agnostics believe there is a lack of evidence one way or another.

ag·nos·tic
    Noun:A person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.
  • LiviLou2011
    LiviLou2011 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    i dont know what i am! lol
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,469 Member
    Options
    Atheist here.
  • 1996gtstang
    1996gtstang Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    no christmas for you!
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    i dont know what i am! lol

Haha, that's okay, a lot of people don't :)
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Wiccan here and very proud of it.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    I'm not a God fearing man. In fact, I have a very specific view of things that I don't know what 'denomination' they would fit in. We'll just call it "The Force". I could talk about religion all day! Food and religion!
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Don't exclude us Pastafarians! :D

Spaghetti Monster! xD
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    You are all going to hell!

... And I am driving the bus. Discounts for people who BYOB and hotties!
This discussion has been closed.