Any atheists/pagans/wiccans out there? :)

Options

Replies

• Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I am a wiccan =)
    But with other pagan beliefs ontop of the main wiccan structure.
    I also believe firmly in scientific findings. And have discovered over the years that alot of things i believe as a wiccan can be found to be proved by science, which is nice lol..
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Truth is, all we need is LOVE, whether you believe in God or not. If we all get along, we all do good to each other, help each other, don't judge and respect each other, this world would be a better place.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I was baptized Catholic but I'm not sure what I am anymore. I read a great book on the history of Christianity and hows things have changed since the beginning. There are so many view points on Christ and the religion as a whole that it's hard to understand what's true and not. Not to mention, there are not recorded eye-witness accounts of Christ's life; nothing was written until 200 - 300 years after he died. Chinese telephone anybody?
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I hope you aren'tmad I am chiming in but I am a strong believer in the God of the bible. I (and most of the mature believers I know) really love all people and are not just talking the talk. I believe many people have never heard a person explain the gospel to them in a reasonable way, without judging them. I share my faith with atheists and all other world views and many after hearing God's word explained, want to receive He sus into their heart and life. Again I hope my two cents adds and doesn't take away from the thoughts that have been shared. :smile:

I really hope you wait until they ASK to hear about your faith. If not, that's pretty rude.
  • pocce31
    pocce31 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Science tells you the fall of the bridge will kill you, not faith...The speed at which you accelerate(which will be the same from anywhere) and the height of your fall...This is science...no faith needed...fall 6ft, live...fall 600ft, goodbye...
  • Bentley2718
    Options
    Science tells you the fall of the bridge will kill you, not faith...The speed at which you accelerate(which will be the same from anywhere) and the height of your fall...This is science...no faith needed...fall 6ft, live...fall 600ft, goodbye...

Thank you. I think the rate of acceleration varies very slightly depending on the location on the earth, however, the general point holds, we know from observation that objects falling towards the earth (and other bodies) do so in relatively consistent ways.
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I am a saved Christian. I would never shove my beliefs or faith at someone else. I will share my beliefs with others if they want to understand why i believe what i do, but ultimately you have to chose what path you want to follow. Not sure what kind of Christians y'all have met from reading all the posts but the ones I associate with love all and although we may not agree with what your have chosen in your life doesn't mean we dislike you. (at least not in my church)
  • savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options

Science , as stated so well earlier in this thread , only gives us what will not happen . The scientific method is a series of tests on a hypothesis to see if it can be replicated and discard the things which may be proposed that do not occur in repetition . When it has been tested a theory is derived , not definite , but highly probable .
  • sarahp86
    sarahp86 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Truth is, all we need is LOVE, whether you believe in God or not. If we all get along, we all do good to each other, help each other, don't judge and respect each other, this world would be a better place.

^^^^ This!!

I find that if you are kind to someone they don't care what religion, colour, age, gender, sexual orientation etc. you are!!

I know it sounds cliche but through my job I have learned that a little bit of kindness and patience goes a long long way
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I am a saved Christian. I would never shove my beliefs or faith at someone else. I will share my beliefs with others if they want to understand why i believe what i do, but ultimately you have to chose what path you want to follow. Not sure what kind of Christians y'all have met from reading all the posts but the ones I associate with love all and although we may not agree with what your have chosen in your life doesn't mean we dislike you. (at least not in my church)
    Westboro...

Cheap shot but not totally out of the realm of reality.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Wow! Very interesting post! I believe in Jesus Christ and always will but I respect you all for what you believe in. When I was a teenager I was lost and considered myself atheist for a while so I can definitely sympathize with some of you who just simply do
    not know. I hope that you guys in particular find what captures your spirit and may it bring you peace and joy like Jesus Christ does for me. Blessing to all!

^This, and a serious question(at least to me) to add to the discussion.

Anyone, atheists/pagan/wiccan can respond, just curious, I've been reading through some posts, do any of you believe that inside you is a soul?

What do you believe happens to your body after you die?

What guides your daily interactions with people in a healthy way?

If you've ever felt depressed, what filled that void?

I say that I believe/know people are disheartened with religion because there are many a causes taken up in Jesus or the name of Christianity in which the Bible and the people's actions conflict. I don't want to make this a long post but I do want to say just as my two cents, I'm glad that I found and grew up with the knowledge that by the blood of Jesus I could be saved, and that no matter how I mess up he forgives me, and I know this. and through church going/praying/talking about him/reading the Bible I know him (want to know more) because it's about a relationship with him. There's a lot I want to say, but I'm quite certain I'd be here all night.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    i'm an objectivist,

" i swear by my life and love of it, to never live for the sake of another man, nor let another man live the the sake of mine"

go ayn rand!
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Westboro...

What do you mean by cheap shot? And westboro?
  • pocce31
    Options
    What I'm about to say has absolutely nothing to do with my beliefs at all. This is just a simple point I'm stating based on the "unless there is evidence, scientific or not, that there is/are God(s), Goddess(es) or any type of deity, someone will not believe they exist", it is kind of what people used to say when it was first said the Earth was round, our planet wasn't the center of the Universe and the Sun would spin round our planet, when people didn't know about gravity, etc.

I respect and support anyone who believes in anything just as much as those who don't believe in anything at all. But when it comes about proof, not even science can deny the existence of things just because they can't explain it.

If you want a better example of what God is, God is everything. Not a guy sitting up there in the sky (heaven) watching everything we do. God is everything and all of us. Interpretation has a lot to do when it comes about manipulation of religions. Even when the statement "we are made in the image of God" has been interpreted as "we" humans, but the truth is, "we" is just everything that exist, whether is living and non-living. God is energy, just a conscious energy that keeps everything in balance.

I don't understand what you're getting at here. You believe god is everything, that's great for you, but what's the bigger point?

There's no bigger point, my point is that in a certain way someone saying they don't believe in God because there is no evidence or it hasn't been proved, it makes me think of all the times people didn't and still don't believe in events or facts just because science doesn't have the tools to "prove" the origins and its existence. In that sense I like more Quantum physics.

The burden of proof is on the believer not the nonbeliever...you can't say that because science can't prove their isn't a god that means their probably is one...Science doesn't waste it's time trying to prove god, that isn't what science is there for...Science spends it's time figuring out how things work...If it makes it obvious that a god isn't needed, then so be it...It also can't be argued that something(the universe) can't come from nothing because that would mean god came from something else...If you argue that god came from nothing, one can argue the universe did to...I understand you may be trying to call the universe god but nah...people don't think the universe is going to send you to a nicer place after we die...
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Also curious, was anyone raised to be Christian/Satanist/Wiccan/Pastatfarian whatever and is no longer? How did your family react?

For me, I was raised to basically believe whatever I wanted. As I got older I understood from my mother to mean "anything except" insert list. lol if I told her I was WIccan she'd call a priest. Which is interesting, because she claims to hate Christians

I was raised to be a christian but without a christening or anything, i went to a normal school but we had to say prayers to god at each break, but i always believed i was praying to a different god than the christian one..
    Anyway believed in the wiccan beliefs before i even knew the religion existed..
    Told my mum and we had a massive argument about it, i said how dare she insult my religion, whether she believes it or not she should be respectful of my feelings, and we havent been on the best terms since..
    And when i told my dad he just laughed in my face and said your not a wiccan.. Well at the time no i wasnt practicing as i had just discovered that what i believed was actually an already existent religion, but that didnt stop me from being a wiccan at heart..
    SO yeh despite both of them being kind of atheists leading towards Christianity they did not take it very well at all..
  • pocce31
    Options
    On the trillionth day, man created gods...
  • lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm an atheist. Have never found any reason to believe in anything. I believe in science...but not Scientology. That's some scary stuff.

I was raised by a Baptist mother and my Step-dad was Presbyterian. I didn't know this until I was a teen, when I told them I was an atheist. To them, I am pretty much going to hell.
    I have no problem with religion in general, but I do have a problem with people who look at me like I am disgusting or evil when they find out about me. It takes pretty much a direct question to even find out that I am an atheist (as I don't bring it up like many people do their religion), so after five years of knowing me, people will just up an suddenly think I am sick in the head. So all of a sudden I am now significantly less adjusted than I was before? Please. Thankfully, I know plenty of religious people who are just as open-minded as I am. My best friend is very religious Christian, but loves me to death. She says she doesn't judge because that is god's job. So we get along famously.

My boyfriend is agnostic. He says that he can find no proof that god does/does not exist, but he holds out hope for his mother, who is the sweetest most giving woman there is. She is a faithful Christian.

One question, for atheists. Do you raise children, and how does this work out for you? One thing I am worried about is having a kid and facing some of the horrible things I have heard other atheist families have faced. People can be VERY cruel. :(
  • pocce31
    Options

Of course this was my first post and I forgot to hit quote to put it with the others...oh well...hahaha!
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Wow! Very interesting post! I believe in Jesus Christ and always will but I respect you all for what you believe in. When I was a teenager I was lost and considered myself atheist for a while so I can definitely sympathize with some of you who just simply do
    not know. I hope that you guys in particular find what captures your spirit and may it bring you peace and joy like Jesus Christ does for me. Blessing to all!

^This, and a serious question(at least to me) to add to the discussion.

Anyone, atheists/pagan/wiccan can respond, just curious, I've been reading through some posts, do any of you believe that inside you is a soul?

What do you believe happens to your body after you die?

What guides your daily interactions with people in a healthy way?

If you've ever felt depressed, what filled that void?

I say that I believe/know people are disheartened with religion because there are many a causes taken up in Jesus or the name of Christianity in which the Bible and the people's actions conflict. I don't want to make this a long post but I do want to say just as my two cents, I'm glad that I found and grew up with the knowledge that by the blood of Jesus I could be saved, and that no matter how I mess up he forgives me, and I know this. and through church going/praying/talking about him/reading the Bible I know him (want to know more) because it's about a relationship with him. There's a lot I want to say, but I'm quite certain I'd be here all night.
    When you die, you become worm food. That's it. Done.

What governs interactions? The need to survive. Knowing that there is a need for structure for humanity to continue. I just don't need the threat of eternal damnation to guide or restrict me.

Have I ever felt depressed? Yes. I picked myself out of it. A void? No. I do not feel a void because religion is absent.
  • Bentley2718
    Options
    Westboro...

What do you mean by cheap shot? And westboro?

Westboro Babptist Church is a militantly anti-gay Christian group. They are the lovely people who own the domain name godhatesfags.com and who protest military funerals with signs implying that god caused the death of people's loved ones because they allow gay people in the U.S. military (e.g. signs saying "God hates *kitten*" and "Thank God for dead soldiers" ). They make me very angry.
This discussion has been closed.