Any atheists/pagans/wiccans out there? :)

Options

Replies

• dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I do believe in God and Jesus. It's a non-issue for me. I dont care what anyone else's religious beliefs are. To me if they are a good person and have a good heart, I can relate to them. It's unusual for me to even discuss religion and I generally prefer to stay away from forums about religion. But your topic interested me and I wanted to see what everyone was thinking. What I like in this thread, is that unlike many other threads, everyone is being civil and there is no bashing of one's belief. I'm always interested in learning about new things and many of you have changed my mind on certain beliefs. Not that they would be right for me, but I respect that everyone is talking about this in a cool manner. Just do and follow what you believe and we all know that everyone will not agree with our specific religious beliefs. Actually the world would be a boring place if everyone was just alike.
  • MarCarCas
    MarCarCas Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I discovered Wicca at 16, I'm 23 now. To me it is the most empowering religious path that I've researched, it brings me a lot of joy :)

:D OMG me too. i discovered it my freeman year of high school.

:happy: I found Wicca right when I needed to, that was a rough time and it helped me strengthen myself to get through.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I use to study Wicca. But now I see myself as more Agnostic.

I say there is no one correct path to enlightenment. If there is a god, s/he doesn't care how you worship them or if you worship them as long as you are a good person. If there is an afterlife you will go to a good place.

Maybe we should just all try to be good to each other now, then this will be a better place.
    Depends on what your definition of "good" is.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

I say there is no one correct path to enlightenment. If there is a god, s/he doesn't care how you worship them or if you worship them as long as you are a good person. If there is an afterlife you will go to a good place.

Maybe we should just all try to be good to each other now, then this will be a better place.

Excellent (again subjective) point! I was thinking somewhere along the lines of treating others with respect and compassion, at a bare minimum not intentionally harming other people/beings. Bleeding-heart, tree-hugging, liberal stuff like that.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I do believe in God and Jesus. It's a non-issue for me. I dont care what anyone else's religious beliefs are. To me if they are a good person and have a good heart, I can relate to them. It's unusual for me to even discuss religion and I generally prefer to stay away from forums about religion. But your topic interested me and I wanted to see what everyone was thinking. What I like in this thread, is that unlike many other threads, everyone is being civil and there is no bashing of one's belief. I'm always interested in learning about new things and many of you have changed my mind on certain beliefs. Not that they would be right for me, but I respect that everyone is talking about this in a cool manner. Just do and follow what you believe and we all know that everyone will not agree with our specific religious beliefs. Actually the world would be a boring place if everyone was just alike.

And thank you for continuing to keep it civil :) I think the reason it can stay this way is because people either don't have a religious belief, don't believe in any god at all, or have a very peaceful religion (not to say yours isn't!)
  • MarCarCas
    Options
    Someone asked what Wicca was earlier in this thread, in any case, I had written about it a while ago and now I put it as a blog entry here, in my own words about what is Wicca. For whoever is interested, this is the link

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/YassFitness/view/what-is-wicca-202745

You've done a great job explaining the basics :smile:
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options

Excellent (again subjective) point! I was thinking somewhere along the lines of treating others with respect and compassion, at a bare minimum not intentionally harming other people/beings. Bleeding-heart, tree-hugging, liberal stuff like that.
    I was thinking of multiple o's and bj's. Yours seems a lot nicer.
  • Bentley2718
    Options

That sounds pretty good too!
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Someone asked what Wicca was earlier in this thread, in any case, I had written about it a while ago and now I put it as a blog entry here, in my own words about what is Wicca. For whoever is interested, this is the link

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/YassFitness/view/what-is-wicca-202745

You've done a great job explaining the basics :smile:

Thank you. I tried to write it in a simple way trying to give an overall look of what it is because soooo many people ask me what Wicca is, and honestly I couldn't stand writing the same over and over again :laugh:
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options

Hahah!
  • kaikoi47
    kaikoi47 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i don't know where i was. I did not believe in anyone or thing, and just wanted to find some kind of balance. when Wicca found me, it was when i decided that everything Wicca stood for i was already at that point of believing. and i found i finally had a name for it.
  • MarCarCas
    Options
    i don't know where i was. I did not believe in anyone or thing, and just wanted to find some kind of balance. when Wicca found me, it was when i decided that everything Wicca stood for i was already at that point of believing. and i found i finally had a name for it.

Yeah that's how it was for me.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options

That brings up an interesting point.

Do you think that people are more apt to identify with a certain religion, simply because it's something to identify WITH?
  • Goldenbast
    Goldenbast Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Me and my husband are both practicing eclectic pagans. Our 14 year old daughter seems to be following our path, but our 13 year old daughter seems to follow Christianity. We believe in following your heart and do not put restrictions on something so personal as religion on our children, nor do we push it on anyone...everyone has the right to believe what they choose to believe. :)
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    8 pages? I can only imagine the fun I've missed. Stupid having a life! It's incredibly rare for me but still annoying.

If it hasn't been mentioned yet we have a group for atheists on MFP. Anyone who wants in can message me.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Atheist here...and fairly apathetic
  • missjelika
    missjelika Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Don't exclude us Pastafarians! :D

RAMEN:laugh: :bigsmile:
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    8 pages? I can only imagine the fun I've missed. Stupid having a life! It's incredibly rare for me but still annoying.

If it hasn't been mentioned yet we have a group for atheists on MFP. Anyone who wants in can message me.

Hellz yeah :glasses: haha, we've been keeping it civil, that's why we're still around.
  • Bentley2718
    Options
    Atheist here...and fairly apathetic

Funny you mention apathy, the woman who married my husband and I is clergy in The Church of the Apathetic Agnostic. (No, I'm not joking, the state I was married in has VERY liberal rules about who is considered clergy for the purpose of performing marriage ceremonies.)
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I don't really care.

I'd LIKE to think there is a God, but I'm not holding my breath. I believe in the Universe more than anything - kinetic energy that may bring two people together. I believe that the universe conspires for certain things. Because I'm weird.

I don't have a problem with God at all, if there is a God. I have a problem with his fan club.
This discussion has been closed.