Any atheists/pagans/wiccans out there? :)

Options

Replies

• BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    For the record, I'm a Christian, but I'm uncomfortable with organized religion. And, I don't think Christianity is the "correct" religion, because I don't think we can understand the nature of god/s well enough to have a correct religion. To me it is one way to relate to god.

Sorry for bringing my Christianness into your thread, lol, but I am way more comfortable over here than in *some* threads I won't mention by name.
    I like this answer.
  • MarCarCas
    MarCarCas Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I discovered Wicca at 16, I'm 23 now. To me it is the most empowering religious path that I've researched, it brings me a lot of joy :)
  • 1996gtstang
    1996gtstang Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    no st patricks day for you!
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I discovered Wicca at 16, I'm 23 now. To me it is the most empowering religious path that I've researched, it brings me a lot of joy :)

I'm glad we broke your post cherry :laugh: I am glad that you find light in it. It truly is a very happy, "live and let live" sort of religion. I like it very much :)
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options

Okay can you stop now? :huh: :laugh:
  • LittleMissDoll
    Options
    Also curious, was anyone raised to be Christian/Satanist/Wiccan/Pastatfarian whatever and is no longer? How did your family react?

For me, I was raised to basically believe whatever I wanted. As I got older I understood from my mother to mean "anything except" insert list. lol if I told her I was WIccan she'd call a priest. Which is interesting, because she claims to hate Christians

hey I was raised very catholic, went to catholic school growing up and church every sunday, until I was about 14, I decided no, this isnt for me, and now am a set in stone Athiest. My boyfriend also grew up very christian, christian school until graduation, he was the only one with long hair and a full beard ;) but he also chose athiesm. My mom respects my decision as long as I continue to respect hers, the only time we clash is when she tries to make me go to church with her on christmas, which i usually do, because I love her <3
  • chicago_dad
    Options
    The self-appointed Holiday-N*zi says:
  • 1996gtstang
    1996gtstang Posts: 279 Member
    Options

only because i'm running out of holidays..
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options

only because i'm running out of holidays..

:laugh:
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I believe in science and history. I don't believe that anything can happen once, never to be repeated again (eg. the resurrection). I believe that when we die, we are done. I believe the idea of Heaven is something people cling to for comfort when they lose someone they love, or when they fear the end of their own life is near.

Call me what you want. I am human.

Very well said! I believe everyone has a right to believe whatever they want but they should not try to force their religion on other people. Out of respect for others I would not try to force my opinions on them. When my grandmother was dying she believed she was going to heaven and never ever would I have taken the comfort that offered her away. I told my children (who were preschool age) that Nanny went to heaven...not because I believe in heaven but because it comforted them to know she was an angel. Does that make me a hypocrit? I don't think any more then telling them about Santa, the tooth fairy or the Easter bunny does.
  • MarCarCas
    MarCarCas Posts: 96 Member
    Options

I'm glad we broke your post cherry :laugh: I am glad that you find light in it. It truly is a very happy, "live and let live" sort of religion. I like it very much :)

Haha yeah, my first time! ;) That's exactly how Wicca is, you've put it beautifully.
  • fguillory
    fguillory Posts: 291
    Options
    I use to study Wicca. But now I see myself as more Agnostic.

I say there is no one correct path to enlightenment. If there is a god, s/he doesn't care how you worship them or if you worship them as long as you are a good person. If there is an afterlife you will go to a good place.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I used to think that too, but the older I've gotten, the more I've realized how damaging religious thinking can be. Religion teaches people the following:

* Don't take control of your circumstances. Just pray. It's all "god's will".
    * When something good happens, it's a blessing. When something bad happens, it's because of "sin".
    * Animals are just stupid robots designed to do the bidding of humans
    * Science is just opinion, not a process of testing falsifiable hypotheses

And so on.

It ruins self-empowerment, subjugates women, persecutes gays, justifies genocide and slavery, and destroys the human drive to understand the natural world.

That's why I'm not a "live and let live" atheist. I think religion is a cancer on humanity.
    You make some valid points. But I think most of them are criticisms of organized religion, which (at least in Christianity) has become a sort of weird bureaucracy. For my part I don't believe any of the bullet points. And while religion does subjugate women, persecute gays, etc., I think those evils would be a part of society anyway, and religion is twisted to justify them.
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

Please note that certain topics that were formerly off-limits in the public forums are now permitted to remain on the boards, though we strongly recommend utilizing the new Group feature if you are concerned about unwanted commentary on your topic. The moderators will do our best to enforce civil conversation in this thread, and we expect all participants in this thread to abide by the guidelines which you can review in their entirety here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Posts made to publicize existing Groups are allowed in ALL cases on the Public Forums.

Please DO NOT report a post that is advertising a group, or that is proceeding politely and without incident.

If you start a new topic on the Public Forums, please use the following guideline as a filter:

Divisive topics, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion.

At our discretion, this thread may be locked or deleted at any time..

With respect,
    CatCrazy
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator

Based on what you're saying, moderators shouldn't lock or delete this thread at anytime, since you mention on your post "topics to only ONE religion should not be placed on the main forum". This thread talks about more than ONE religion, therefore is not violating any rules, right?
  • kaikoi47
    kaikoi47 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

:D OMG me too. i discovered it my freeman year of high school.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I use to study Wicca. But now I see myself as more Agnostic.

I say there is no one correct path to enlightenment. If there is a god, s/he doesn't care how you worship them or if you worship them as long as you are a good person. If there is an afterlife you will go to a good place.

Maybe we should just all try to be good to each other now, then this will be a better place.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Based on what you're saying, moderators shouldn't lock or delete this thread at anytime, since you mention on your post "topics to only ONE religion should not be placed on the main forum". This thread talks about more than ONE religion, therefore is not violating any rules, right?
    As long as we don't start going for each other's throats, I think we're good.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    I believe in science and history. I don't believe that anything can happen once, never to be repeated again (eg. the resurrection). I believe that when we die, we are done. I believe the idea of Heaven is something people cling to for comfort when they lose someone they love, or when they fear the end of their own life is near.

Call me what you want. I am human.

That is very well put. I personally like to believe that since we are all (IMO) a source of energy, our energy gets...recycled, if you will, into something else. That doesn't mean that you die, and now a new tree pops up in a forest somewhere, just that the energy needs to go somewhere. Perhaps into a thunderstorm, perhaps to the wind. Maybe, for me, I'll be a wave in the ocean somewhere. Yes, it does bring me comfort, certainly, but to me, it also makes sense.
  • ninelives58
    ninelives58 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Very well said! I believe everyone has a right to believe whatever they want but they should not try to force their religion on other people. Out of respect for others I would not try to force my opinions on them. When my grandmother was dying she believed she was going to heaven and never ever would I have taken the comfort that offered her away. I told my children (who were preschool age) that Nanny went to heaven...not because I believe in heaven but because it comforted them to know she was an angel. Does that make me a hypocrit? I don't think any more then telling them about Santa, the tooth fairy or the Easter bunny does.

I like this very much!
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Someone asked what Wicca was earlier in this thread, in any case, I had written about it a while ago and now I put it as a blog entry here, in my own words about what is Wicca. For whoever is interested, this is the link

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/YassFitness/view/what-is-wicca-202745
This discussion has been closed.