Any atheists/pagans/wiccans out there? :)

Options

Replies

• CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Exactly.. you are not calling it God.
    Folks seem a little confused about definitions of things.

Atheists aren't violently ANTI-god, we are just NON-theistic in our beliefs. For atheists, it doesn't matter whether there is a god or not, and we don't believe in praying, or worshipping, or conversations with imaginary friends, etc. etc. We just tend to believe that it's good to be good to our fellow man, not out of fear of bad things in the after-life or promises of awesome things in the after-life, but just because it's good to be good to other people.

Agnostics aren't sure yet WHICH religion, if any, to follow, but tend to believe in a higher power people often refer to as god.

Often refer to "as" God? His name is GOD. When we talk about God, we are talking about God.

If not, then Budda would be "God" too and he is not.. because when people believe in God.. they actually believe in the same being, just different prophets.

Not necessarily. If I do not believe in a god, I will not refer to "it: as God. I believe in many "beings" but not any gods, but I definitely do not believe in any of what the "traditional" beliefs are. :)
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Wiccan here and very proud of it.

Practicing or no?
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Agnostic, although I lean more towards a combination of Christianity and Wiccan combined (sounds weird, I know). I also believe in science, and the evolution theory as well.

Not weird in my opinion at all. I believe in God/Jesus in my own way but I don't fallow any one religion nor do I go to church. Wiccan is of definite interest to me. As are other ideas and "religions" And I think there are things from various ones that I believe or atleast agree to in my own way but it's not affiliated with a specific religion as much as it is just how I feel about things. My beliefs are simple. I simply believe in being a good person and treating others with respect and acceptance. Fate and karma. I don't think there is one heaven where we all congregate after death, because heaven is supposed to be this most beautiful, perfect place but that place can't be the same for everyone can it? Because everyone has their own I deas of what is beautiful and perfect and how they would want to live their everlasting life right?!?!

Just my opinion.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    no christmas for you!

christmas is just an adaption of a pegan holiday. tree and time of year included. :3
  • stablesong
    Options
    Atheist for about four or five years.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    How is this allowed now?

This will start arguments.. I don't see how this is allowed now by MFP? Just curious...
    It's the will of the LORD!
    God's law is higher than MFP - AMEN!

:laugh: that was funny, but please try not bash or poke fun at any specific religion. :)
    I would never:flowerforyou:
    I thought of telling that joke about the nuns doing push-ups in the cucumber patch, but on second thought, it would indeed be offensive. Let's keep everything civil.:wink:
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Wiccan here and very proud of it.

Practicing or no?

Solitary practitioner. More eclectic than anything :)
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options

Atheists aren't violently ANTI-god, we are just NON-theistic in our beliefs. For atheists, it doesn't matter whether there is a god or not, and we don't believe in praying, or worshipping, or conversations with imaginary friends, etc. etc. We just tend to believe that it's good to be good to our fellow man, not out of fear of bad things in the after-life or promises of awesome things in the after-life, but just because it's good to be good to other people.

Agnostics aren't sure yet WHICH religion, if any, to follow, but tend to believe in a higher power people often refer to as god.

Atheist here as well! And thanks for explaining to the people who are unfamiliar!! It seems every time I say I'm an atheist someone will ask me how I can believe in the devil and not god. Huh??... I didn't say I was a Satan worshiper!!! Apparently a lot of people think atheists believe in the devil!! LOL
  • Aleciajones
    Options
    panthesitc pagans (husband and our kids are being raised pagan) here, we were raised by baptists and agnostics with a bit of jehovas witness on the side LOL
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    no christmas for you!

christmas is just an adaption of a pegan holiday. tree and time of year included. :3

I'm pretty sure that was a joke.
  • kittyninja
    Options
    I don't practice or believe in any particular religion.
    But if I really had to pick a religion to follow, it would be a loose, modified version of Buddhism or Wicca/Paganism. I absolutely love the wisdom of Buddhism and I agree with some Wiccan/Pagan views, but I don't see either as my set religion.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Exactly.. you are not calling it God.

Often refer to "as" God? His name is GOD. When we talk about God, we are talking about God.

If not, then Budda would be "God" too and he is not.. because when people believe in God.. they actually believe in the same being, just different prophets.

Not necessarily. If I do not believe in a god, I will not refer to "it: as God. I believe in many "beings" but not any gods, but I definitely do not believe in any of what the "traditional" beliefs are. :)
    I think you might want to research this a bit more. Basic bible study teaches that god is not the Christian god's name. The closest ever given is the Hebrew Yaweh.
  • GoCanada
    GoCanada Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Atheist since...forever :P. The rest of my family is Christian-ish...but never a thing for me. But I'm certainly used to accepting other's beliefs because of it!
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options

Atheist here as well! And thanks for explaining to the people who are unfamiliar!! It seems every time I say I'm an atheist someone will ask me how I can believe in the devil and not god. Huh??... I didn't say I was a Satan worshiper!!! Apparently a lot of people think atheists believe in the devil!! LOL

A lot of people think that about Wiccans, too.

Fun fact, did you know that the traditional image of an "evil" witch flying on a broomstick was made up by the Catholic church in an attempt to "weed out" the Wiccans? What they really saw was a coven doing a crop ritual, in which they would take something long (often a broom) and jump towards the sky as if flying. :)
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I believe in being good, for goodness sake.
    I'm a humanist.
  • kaikoi47
    kaikoi47 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    no christmas for you!

LOL i wish i could like this comment
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I am not Christian, and I LOVE Christmas. Great time to celebrate and be with the ones we love. :smile:

Also, for those of you who are confused:

Atheists believe that there is no higher power guiding the universe. Furthermore, they believe no higher power exists to intervene in the affairs of the world including man, whether individually or as a group.

Agnostics believe that here is insufficient evidence for the existence of a higher power, but, unlike atheists, there is also insufficient evidence for the NON-existence of a higher power. Essentially, agnostics are the skeptics of the pool.

It is critical to remember that atheists and agnostics are not inherently without moral fiber because of a lack of faith. Goodness of heart comes from having empathy and the will to act on that empathy which can come from someone of faith or someone of no faith.
  • forestpagan
    Options
    hedge druid....:-)

Lucky enough to have conducted ritual in the stones at Stonehenge before withdrawing from public ritual. Just about the most spiritual experience Ive ever had.
  • kaikoi47
    kaikoi47 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am a Practicing Wiccan. have been for about 5-6 years now :) i am Solitary, Which means i do not belong to a coven. But i am open to meeting anyone of my faith to learn more and always prosper. )O(
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    no christmas for you!

Thank you, someone who knows that! They took out Yule :P
This discussion has been closed.