40+ Club

Options
singfree
singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
Happy Firiday, everyone! Our 40 and older group is sure getting a lot of new "members". To those of you who are new to this group, welcome! We are a group of great people who just want to shed those final few pounds so we can become fit and fabulous, just in time for summer!

Please post with a little info about yourself. We are here to provide support and encouragement to all. We understand difficult times, medical concerns, and mostly shedding a few pounds.

So join us, won't you? You will find us friendly, but never criticizing...that stuff is for other threads.

Replies

• singfree
    Options
    Happy Firiday, everyone! Our 40 and older group is sure getting a lot of new "members". To those of you who are new to this group, welcome! We are a group of great people who just want to shed those final few pounds so we can become fit and fabulous, just in time for summer!

Please post with a little info about yourself. We are here to provide support and encouragement to all. We understand difficult times, medical concerns, and mostly shedding a few pounds.

So join us, won't you? You will find us friendly, but never criticizing...that stuff is for other threads.
  • singfree
    Options
    OK, now that we've settled in on this thread, Good Friday morning, everyone! I kinda fell off the wagon mid-week. I ate some chocolate cake and had a few junk snacks, too. Oh, well...I can't always be good. All in all I feel pretty good about my fitness. Still a few pounds of unwanted fat abound the midsection needs to go, but I'm pleased thus far.

Tomorrow is a big day. Bloodwork. That will tell me a lot about how I am doing internally. A little background: 18 months ago my cholesterol was at 250. My Dr. wanted to put me on meds. I said no way, I am going to do it with diet and exercise. I made a few small changes to my diet, bought the P90X workout and lost 15 lbs of fat. The bottom line is, 6 months later I dropped my cholesterol by 55 points! I am expecting even better results this time (one year later).
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    hello and goodmorning
    42 and counting here can i join
    quick recap jan 15 08 (fatass)259 found this great site and the people here and today minus 50lbs
    on profile fo more info .

47323_5696.jpg
    now its me vs p90x :mad:
  • phetzgetfit
    Options
    Okay, i found you. Wasn't sure what that meant when you said you were starting a new thread. (hey, i'm learning).

Anyway...here's a repeat of what i just posted on the old site:

my weigh in wasn't what i had hoped for, actually up a pound to 159. But I think I know why and i think I know what to do about it so I'm not changing my ticker cause it's GOING AWAY!!!

All in all, I'm doing great. way more energized from exercise, enjoying the warmer weather that is helping me get back outside walking more. I'm eating much better food....now I might want to slow down more on how much of it I'm eating (gtrin). I think when I first started doing bikram yoga it was really difficult for me and I burned a lot of calories trying. Now, I've adjusted to the class and I've still been eating the maximum amount of exercise calories I thought I was earning in it. Since nothing else is changing and the scale is now moving in the wrong direction, I think I'll eat 1/2 to 2/3's of my bikram calories and see what happens...or keep eating and get out walking more to burn up the difference!

good luck to everyone. Thanks for being here (or in the new place when you get there)
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday All!

Weight and inches today - No Change! I'm trying not to let get me down but am frustrated that I've been in this 1-2lbs from goal weight for over a month now. This week I've been really fatigued and run down so I'm going to start increasing my calories toward my maintenance level. I've been running 6xs/week and really added a lot of lean muscle (yeah it shows:smile: ). I think the 1200 calorie limit is doing more harm than good right now.

My goals for next week. Eliminate all alcohol on weeknights. No eating after 7pm.

Good jobs to all and welcome to the newbies.

Singfree: Can't wait to hear how the bloodwork goes. I will get the results from mine next week when I find out what my MRI showed. Sidenote - Lived in Easton, PA for a short period. My son was born there. We really enjoyed the area.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    GOOD MORNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Down a couple of pounds, at 131 this morning. I did not have time to take measurements but I feel my waist is a little larger after all the eating I did in PR. :laugh: But no sweat...

Welcome to all the new member and cheers to the new thread :drinker: :drinker: Eriny, you look great. Singfree, I'm still waiting for your picture...

I've been doing great since coming back from my vacation. I have been eating pretty clean, about 95%. It feels great!!!

Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • singfree
    Options
    Duffy, I'm with you on the weeknight alcohol. It's not like I'm a big drinker, just enjoy a glass of red wine in the evening. That combined with some pretzels as a snack and poof! There goes the clean eating.

I live in southern Schuylkill County near Pottsville (home to the country's oldest brewery, Yuengling).

Alf, pix coming soon-- good to have you back!
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    Duffy, I'm with you on the weeknight alcohol. It's not like I'm a big drinker, just enjoy a glass of red wine in the evening. That combined with some pretzels as a snack and poof! There goes the clean eating.

I live in southern Schuylkill County near Pottsville (home to the country's oldest brewery, Yuengling).

Alf, pix coming soon-- good to have you back!
    I try to wait till the weekend to have a glass of wine. I've been to Pottsville, we were visiting the wineries in that area, I live a little south of Pittsburgh.
  • singfree
    Options
    mnichol, my next glass of red wine will be raised to the Steelers! If my Eagles couldn't do it, I was surely rooting for the Steelers, a classy team.
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    It sure was an exciting season to watch. Go Steelers, what a town to live in when they are winning!!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday!!! Where is everyone??? Maybe some people have not been able to find the new thread so I am bumping it. :laugh:

How was your Saturday?? I managed to stay within my calories but I did not eat well at all, except for breakfast. Today is another day.

Have a great Sunday!!! :flowerforyou:
  • phetzgetfit
    Options
    hi there
    i think i was a little bummed with my weight gain instead of weight loss at last weigh in and it threatened my motivation. HOWEVER, that's silly. I need to put the scale aside for a bit (forever?) and focus on all the positive things that are happening because I'm eating better and lighter and exercising more.

So, I have way more energy, my clothes are fitting better and I can't believe I'm 35 days into my 60-day bikram (hot) yoga and haven't given up. (funny: the instructor kept saying "focus on your ribs," "focus on your ribs" when we are doing this inhaling stretching exercise. I kept thinking "where are they? where are they?" Then the other day, I think I saw them, although briefly, in one of my stretches. Now THAT's progress.

New goals for the upcoming week:

Get outside walking everyday somewhere for at least a half hour and, better yet, an hour.
    Drink all my water
    plan my meals for the week today and do some prep so it's easier to eat right throughout the week.
    stay off the scale in between weigh ins
    lighten up, have some fun, try something new again
    keep up with the food diary

good luck everyone
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I FOUND YOU....and you thought you could hide from me indefinably. Thanks, alf for helping me.

singfree...is 250 too high? I had mine checked about 2 years ago. It was 249 and the doctor didn't say anything about it. I am also a Steelers fan.

mnichol....I am used to having a glass or two of red wine in the evening. I know that if I cut them out I would have better luck in losing.

I have been putting on weight but will get it back off when I can be more active.
  • InTheMoney
    InTheMoney Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    had trouble finding this
  • goldenreef
    Options
    Count me in please!

I will be 48 in 2 weeks, lost 11.5 pounds in the past month. I only had 2 "oops" moments, pizza one night and too much wine another...Other than that, I've been doing ok. This site has really helped me. Reading a lot of the success stories and seeing the support given on this site is wonder. I hope to make my goal by June, we shall see! My 30th high school reunion is in June and was my initial motivator.

I have felt better in the last 2 weeks than I have in YEARS!! This is my new motivator. I NEVER want to go back to what I was before!!!!

Liz
  • singfree
    Options
    Good Monday morning, everybody! Sorry, swissmiss, I did not check in over the weekend, so I received your message a few minutes ago. I'm glad you found the new thread. About 18 months ago my cholesterol was at 249, a very high number. You should be below 200. I had my bloodwork on Saturday morning. I should have the results later this week.

Today I am starting my big push to reach my goals by June 1. We will be traveling to California to visit my brother in law, who is a very healthy and fit 60 year old. At least at his house I have a chance to eat healthy daily. I get derailed in the evening. I need to cut out the glass of red wine and pretzels. Actually, I think the high carb pretzels are the bigger culprit.

Alf, sorry I did not post over the weekend. It was very hectic. A lot of church related things with Easter coming up soon. My eating was pretty good, except my wife bought some Edy's slow churned ice cream. I just HAD to sample it (a few times).........
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday All !!!!! Very busy weekend but I did get weights in on Saturday and a decent run on Sunday before we got hit with freezing rain, sleet, snow YUCK!!!! Looking forward to a very healthy week. I have no red wine in the house right now so that should really help with the no alcohol challenge. With me it generally is one glass with a light string cheese and half a serving of crunchmaster gluten free crackers. The worst part is it is generally around 8 or 9 in the evening when I have it. So no food after 7 is going tobe a bigger challenge for me.

I'm increasing my calories this week in order to combat my fatigue as of late. Also, I'm doing a 10K on Sunday and I know that I will crash and burn if I'm running low on calories. I hope to be very good between now and Friday because we be out of town for a long weekend.
  • christy559
    christy559 Posts: 105
    Options
    Gald to be a part of this discussion!

I'm 41, will be 42 in June. I've been on a yo-yo for several years. Whenever I have a relatively small amount of weight to lose, say 10-15 lbs., I have found that I was, in the past, less disciplined. I don't want to feel that way or be that way anymore.

These last pounds ARE important. I feel as though if I don't learn to manage now, as I age it will be even more challenging.:noway:

So I blog daily to keep myself accountable and I'm also in a Mastermind Journal Group to help with the self-discipline.
    :smile:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Thanks, singfree...I don't know why it took me so long to find the thread.

christy...Yep, it will get harder later on. I am there now. I just turned 58.

duffy...I am just starting to drink my red wine again. I had stopped due to all the meds I have been on since surgery. I need to stop completely.

Liz...We are here to help. Keep up the good work.

I had a terrible weekend. I always do at this time. Why can't I stay motivated?
  • christy559
    christy559 Posts: 105
    Options
    Thanks, singfree...I don't know why it took me so long to find the thread.

christy...Yep, it will get harder later on. I am there now. I just turned 58.

duffy...I am just starting to drink my red wine again. I had stopped due to all the meds I have been on since surgery. I need to stop completely.

Liz...We are here to help. Keep up the good work.

I had a terrible weekend. I always do at this time. Why can't I stay motivated?

Becky - The important thing is that you have made progress...YOU are 50% to goal..woooohooo! We all cannot stay 100% motivated every moment...that's why our hard work pays off, to get us through those times.