40+ Club

Options

Replies

• jonsmom98
    Options
    Hi Jonsmom here. I'm 48 yrs old, been through Menapause and have managed to shoot up to 210 pounds. I'm in the military therefore I am considered over weight, no actually considered as obese. I have visited the nutritionist and we have figured out for now that 1200 is my limit to loose and I'm working on an exercise program that helps keep me from hurting my knees anymore than necessary. For the last two days, I've done ok, I've stayed close to the 1200 calorie count, but like everyone else, I am having problems drinking all that water.

ok, will have to figure out how to add my ticker
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    hello my fellow 40s
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Welcome Newbies! I've made it through another day with no alcohol and no eating after 7pm. Although I notice I am running low on my slumber time tea. Better hit the store tommorrow.

Want to be more Active: Very impressed with now wine since January? Wow - I'm just trying to limit mine to weekends. Although know what you mean, 1 glass I'm okay it's the 2nd glass that makes me eat things I shouldn't. When I did the marathon in October I tried to give up all alcohol for the 6 weeks leading up to it but caved at wedding. Good Champagne should not be missed.:drinker:
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    April Fool! Not me...April 1 already!!! Where did the winter go? I'm glad it's finally ending. Today, April 1 means that I have exactly 2 months to really get serious about this fitness stuff. On June 1, we fly to Los Angeles to visit my brother-in-law, and I want to be in good shape by then. I really am doing well strength-wise. I hit the gym usually twice per day and supplement that with a hard bike ride through the rolling hills of PA after work. I just need to drop those remaining few lbs of fat. I know it is mostly my diet. I eat clean most of the time, but...we all know how tempting those little treats can be! When I report on Friday (yes our reporting day is coming yet again), you all have my permission to kick me in the virtual backside. I need my friends here to cheer me on tho the finish line.

BTW-Alf, I'll bet you dropped the vacation weight from PR already.
  • singfree
    Options
    Did this sort of thing happen to you? Yesterday we had a staff meeting at work. As usual they provided pizza from a local shop. It was like bringing a 6-pack to an AA meeting for me. "Hi, I'm Frank and I have a problem staying away from pizza..."

There was SO much sodium in that stuff, I was thirsty all night! What I noticed was that when I went for my bike ride, I attached my HRM, and my HR was already 90 BPM before I started! Now, my resting HR is in the low 50s, so I can only conclude that it was the pizza/ sodium. What do you think?
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Sing: Pizza is a weakness of mine as well. Luckily, we've had a hard time find a decent pie in this area. I agree the sodium probably increased your heart rate. Dehydration of any kind makes your heart beat faster. You're doing great ! Keep up the good work.
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Hey everybody!!
    129.5 pounds..........FINALLY broke the 130lb barrier this morning....... yippee!!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    Now if I can just keep moving in the right direction.....

I limit myself to one margarita 2-3 times a week at the neighbors' house; any more than that at one time and I start doing the mindless munching. :mad: Drinking enough water's not a problem for me. I have about half of a Coke Zero in the morning at work to get my minor caffiene fix, then drink 2-3 camelbak bottles of water the rest of the day, plus only water at meals unless I get a lemonade at a restaurant. Having a Brita filter at home and at work makes it much easier to drink water - it never has a nasty aftertaste, and I'm not putting plastic bottles into landfills! :happy:

Singfree, maybe the HR was up before you started your ride because you were aggravated at the idiots who only provide pizza for a meeting and not any salad or other healthy alternative. I can't remember the last time I've had more than one slice of pizza at a meal, it's hard to turn it down (especially Papa Murphys Garlic Chicken), but I like the direction the scale is going, plus, swimsuit weather is just around the corner.....yikes!

Well, I really ought to get some work done........ have a good day, and keep drinking that water!
  • singfree
    Options
    Thankfully those meetings come once per month. Duffy, I agree that it's hard to find GOOD pizza anywhere. We travel to Austria & Bavaria every 2 years, and the best pizza we've EVER had was in Salzburg & Garmisch-Partenkirchen. It doen't taste like the cardboard crap served in the States.
  • mkwood10
    Options
    Singfree,
    You make me miss Germany! We lived there 6 1/2 years in the late 80's-early 90's. It was REALLY hard to leave, but the Army only lets you homestead in one place so long, then you have to move again.:ohwell: My youngest daughter was born in Wuerzburg in 1989. Someday we hope to get transferred there again. It'd be nice to be there WITHOUT small children - I know I'd enjoy it more!
  • singfree
    Options
    mkwood, did you ever stay at the Edelweiss Resort in Garmisch for military personnel? We've met some nice people who stayed there. We like to stay in an apartment in Partenkirchen while there. Such a great area to relax and enjoy nature. We visited many places in Germany, but Bavaria is our favorite. We also love Austria. Thankfully we speak German so going to small towns is not a problem.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    singfree..here's hoping that you are over the pizza/cotton mouth. I don't usually have a problem with pizza and that is a good thing because my kids could live on it. My problem is going to be tonight. It is our anniversary and I know what I am going to eat and I also know I will be sorry for it.
  • PamKay
    PamKay Posts: 19
    Options
    Hello, I'm fairly new to mfp and I would really like to join this 40+ club. My name is Pam and I'm 51. My goal here is to lose 30 lbs and I've already lost 10. I have gained and lost weight in the past but it seems to be easier to gain and harder to lose these days. It would be nice to have the support of the 40+ club, and to see what other people in my age group are dealing with.
    Thanks,
    Pam
  • christy559
    christy559 Posts: 105
    Options
    Hello, I'm fairly new to mfp and I would really like to join this 40+ club. My name is Pam and I'm 51. My goal here is to lose 30 lbs and I've already lost 10. I have gained and lost weight in the past but it seems to be easier to gain and harder to lose these days. It would be nice to have the support of the 40+ club, and to see what other people in my age group are dealing with.
    Thanks,
    Pam

Welcome!
    I'm only 1 week old here on the site...LOL...This is a great thread and everyone has a sense of humor, thank goodness. We all need that!

WIth MFP I've been able to balance food and exercise and lost 2.6 pounds. My goal is 1 pound per week and exercise 30 minutes 5 times per week. I think I shed the additional weight because I have been choosing healthier foods rather than just trying to stay within a numerical calorie goal.

I just try to balance and keep it all in balance and not get too wound up over the numbers...it took time to get here and it will take time to get where I'd like to be.
  • singfree
    Options
    Becky, let us know what you are going to eat so we can enjoy it with you! We had our anniversary about 6 weeks ago, and I the only thing I watched were my carbs, not cals. So I had a nice filet mignon, I can still taste it! Enjoy tonight and don't worry about anything...and please have a red wine for me (and duffy).
  • psilva78227
    psilva78227 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I would like to join the 40+ club! I am going to be 41 in ten days :)

My long term goal is to lose 40 lbs. Short term, 10 by my birthday (I have 5 lbs to go). I work with a trainer twice a week, do kick boxing/wieghts once or twice a week, then a day of swimming or racquetball once a week. (Basically, I make sure I get in 5 days at the gym). Plus, I try to walk my dog for 30 minutes 4 or 5 nights a week. I count calories Monday thru Saturday and Sunday is my free day. (within reason) This has all been recent changes in my lifestyle.

I have a hard time with motivation after watching hubby lose 50+ lbs when I only dropped about 15. We were both exercising and eating right. Plus several health issues, the latest being iron levels too high (ultimately can cause organ failure) and possible damage to my liver.

Weight loss will only help to get healthier! I am looking forward to all the ideas, support and "motivation" that is apparent just by reading through various threads. :)

Patricia
    136586.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Welcome Christy..It is good that you have a short term plus a long term goal. Just keep your eyes on the short term at this time. It is also good that you have a free day. Just be sure to keep it within reason.

Pam...I know what you mean by it gets harder to lose as we age. We are all having the same problem. Stay with us and we will try to help.

Patricia...It is good to have a short and a long term goal. Just keep your eyes on the short term one for now.

singfree...Did you look at the menu? I went on to the Inn's site and took a peek. I had already decided on the filet mignon AND I looked at their wine list to see which red I want. You can sure read my mind.:laugh:
  • singfree
    Options
    I must have ESP(N). I see a great Cabernet Sauvignon tonight and perhaps a Drambuie nightcap?
  • mkwood10
    Options
    Singfree,
    We spent a weekend at Garmish at one of the military hotels, but I don't remember which one it was! I just remember being ticked off because our room had two Eurpoean single beds in it instead of a double or queen. Go away for a nice weekend without the kids and get stuck in a room like that. Needless to say, it wasn't a great weekend :grumble: :grumble:
    We stayed at Chimsee and Bertchesgarden a couple of times also - liked those better.
  • singfree
    Options
    The trick about those single beds is...you've got to push them together (or snuggle in one)! Our Salzburg B&B was on the outskirts, near the Untersberg on the German border. Berchtesgaden, aaahhh, the Koenigsee!!! Next visit in 2010 we will see Herrenchiemsee, can't wait!

Oh yes- 2010 is The Passion Play in Oberammergau, a mere 15 miles from Garmisch....
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    JohnBlake, EXCUSE ME????? Somebody has been working out...:noway: :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou: