40+ Club

Options

Replies

• Kanderson46
    Options
    Hello. Im 46 years old, and im having trouble losing the last 10 lbs that I want to lose.......the weather here hasnt been too good..so I havent been walking much this week...and my eating hasnt been too good either....blah!!!! AND this morning at my work they are having donuts and some speciality coffee........DONUTS!!!:frown: (its staff appreciation week) Anyways.....I was thinking that I would lose these extra "10" lbs by summer, which is about 2 months.........I think I can do it......BUT I do have to start walking again......well have to now.....have a nice day and thanks for listening!! :smile:
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Morning all, it is indeed great to finally have some warmer weather here in New England, singfree. Was outside most of the weekend as much as possible.

Alf, I'll try to post my intake for today,as this weekend I went "off the rails" so to speak, because I went out to dinner with a good friend at a tapas bar. I think I did okay on calories, etc, until I got the flourless chocolate tart. :love: And the glass of sangria probably was a no no too., but it was yummy!

Also, the reason I try to eat less wheat is because I read that as women age it becomes more difficult for their bodies to process gluten and wheat and that keeps the fat on. Of course, I can no longer find where I read that...so I may be operating under a faulty premise.

When I eat whole grains I try to eat whole oats, rice, quinoa, etc. Even found a quinoa bread at Trader Joe's that's pretty good.

So, Monday and back to the plan...watch my intake, log my calories and exercise and keep drinking the water!
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Cardigirl, I read something to that effect about wheat products, but unless you are certain that is the culprit, don't worry about it. I think the bigger danger is not eating enough, which could trigger your body to hold onto fat. BTW, my wife is a Mass. girl (Merrimac).

Kanderson, welcome! Donuts are the Devil! There is NOTHING good for you in them. Your best bet for shedding those final few lbs is cardio and some strength training. We've tried everything and this is the real way to health & fitness (a clean diet too)!
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,816 Member
    Options
    Morning everybody!

It sounds like most everybody enjoyed a beautiful weekend. We did here in Southern California as well with unusually warm temps. I'm loving it!

I went to Palm Springs on Saturday to see my sister and her family who were there for the weekend. Talk about warm. :noway: But it felt great to sit by the pool for a few hours and chat about useless stuff with my sister while our husbands and her daughters swam in the pool. Saturday night it was off to Mexican food, which was a real treat! I ordered fish tacos, and loved this restaurant because the fish was grilled and the tacos weren't served with sour cream or cheese, etc. In other words, it was a healthy and delicious choice. So I got through the weekend with very clean eating and continue to feel great.

Off to workout my back and biceps for an hour. It's going to be a sweaty workout because it is already almost 80 degrees outside (it's only 7:45am), but I love those kinds of workouts. :tongue:

Welcome Kanderson!
  • Kanderson46
    Options
    Okay..I only had one donut and was tempted for another one BUT I didnt do it............yea for me! I have a few turkey slices and cheese & crackers for lunch......not too bad huh? Im really not that hungry ..but I do know I need to eat...........no skipping meals........It was rainy earlier but looks like the sun came back out.......but do I really feel like walking? Hmmmmmmm..NOt really but I might........sorry just kind of a lazy Monday for me...........I really need to get movivated again....don'T I?

P.S.
    I love being in my forties.........:laugh:
  • singfree
    Options
    Yuck! I think I am coming down with something. About 7:30 this morning I felt like I was getting a bit achey and fatigued. It really has not subsided yet. Hopefully it will pass quickly. It never fails...when you have plans to work out or other obligations, a small pothole in the road of life! I also have a big rehearsal with the Harrisburg Symphony this evening. Enough belly-aching from me. How's your day going?
  • cardigirl
    Options
    singfree, I had a cold start up a couple of weeks ago, I hate when it happens. Usually, if the cold is affecting you from the neck up, it's okay (and probably best for you) to work out. I find it gets me really going and I feel better when I do work out. Loosens up the congestion, I guess.

However, if the cold moves into the lungs (chest) area, then it's best not to exert yourself into coughing fits. Hope you are just going to have a mild whatever.

What part do you sing? I went to see Renee Fleming last evening at Symphony Hall in Boston. She was terrific!

I'm not a native New Englander, was born and raised in the Midwest, and transplanted to Boston around 14 years ago. But I do like living here.

Kanderson, I love doughnuts, but gave them up 8 months ago...and I don't miss them now. Good for you for sticking to just one.

Day so far is going good. On track with food, and exercise was very satisfying.
  • singfree
    Options
    Cardigirl, thanks for your advice. I sing with a group called the Susquehanna Chorale. We are providing the chorus parts for a concert version of "Tosca" by Puccini. I am a tenor soloist with the group. Note: Not a plug... go to www.susquehannachorale.org or harrisburgsymphony.org for more about it. Should be a good time.
  • rickster43
    Options
    Hey gang; had a rough weekend and ended up eating way too many calories with no exercise!! any suggestions on how to bounce back?
  • cardigirl
    Options
    Wow, singfree, that's awesome! I sing with a very amateur choir, but we have fun (do mostly show tunes). I sing alto. Singing makes me happy, just like exercise. Something about the serotonin (sp) it releases.

One of my friends performed Dvorak's Stabat Mater with her choral group on Friday. Such a lovely piece.

Good luck with the Tosca!
  • cardigirl
    Options
    Hey gang; had a rough weekend and ended up eating way too many calories with no exercise!! any suggestions on how to bounce back?

Last weekend is over and done, just go forward with your plan from here. Try not to beat yourself up too much. We all slip from time to time. Just don't make it an excuse to stop.

Kinda of like "when you fall off the horse, you have to get right back on" thinking.
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Its such a beautiful day here in northern california... Even if my allergies are kicking in a bit. My goal is to do the wii fit stair step for 30 minutes. I think I'll have my hubby build me a platform to put the step on so it will make it more of a challenge. Maybe take the little one (my Chihuahua) for a walk. He'd enjoy it its so nice outside. :happy: I haven't worked out at all for the last 4 days but at least I didn't gain anything either. But its a new week right. Here's to hoping I lose 2 lbs:drinker:
  • WantToBeMoreActive
    Options
    I am so excited. I have lost two more pounds this week. I have been sort of on the Abs Diet. but not sticking to it completely. I have lost four pounds over the past two weeks. I think I have found what I need.

wow wee swiss miss, 4 lbs in 2 weeks when you have so little to lose is amazing!!! WTG

since many of you seem to exercise a lot, I have a question...

I seem to be able to handle 4 days of exercise in a row and that's it...today would've been day 5 but all I could manage was to do my toning exercises and I couldn't do my cardio...do you think that's because I'm just getting back into exercise & haven't built up enough stamina yet???
    I'm thinking too I should start taking a multiitamin because sometimes I'm tired & I don't think I should be if I'm eating well & exercising.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!!!!! I had a great weekend!! I stayed under my calories and ate well and exercised both days. I actually did more than I had planned. I am enjoying ChaLean Extreme. I just can't wait to see some results but it has only been a few days. I have to be patient. :laugh: I will not be weighing nor measuring myself in a month so I will not have anything to report in a while.

Wanttobemoreactive, how intense are your workouts? If they are very intense you might want to workout every other day and do something light in between or rest since you are not working out most days of the week. You could continue to build up stamina that way. Also make sure you are eating balanced meals. You could be lacking some nutrients that give you energy. A multivitamin is not a bad idea but it should not take the place of eating healthy foods. I'm no expert but that is my advice.

Rickster, as cardigirl said, put the weekend behind you and move on today...just do whatever you were doing before this weekend...

Kanderson, don't say that you think you can do it, tell yourself that you WILL do it!!!! I don't think it is unrealistic to lose 10lbs in 2 mos but it is going to take a lot of effort and motivation to reach that goal. The last 10lbs are hard to lose but it can be done. You do need a good combination of cardio, sometimes intense, and strength training. Also eating healthy and controlling portions which this site can help you monitor. You CAN do it. We are here to help.

Hi to Stiring, Singfree...I hope I am not forgetting anyone if I am sorry about that...:laugh: old age :laugh:

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Hi, all! It was a beautiful weekend here outside Philly! Today, however, is cold and rainy.:angry: I'm really looking forward to consistantly nice weather!

Wannabemoreactive- I agree with alf, but you may just need more time and consistancy to build up your stamina. Keep it up! You'll begin to feel stronger soon.:flowerforyou: It is a good idea to vary your routine, though.:smile:

Have a good night, everyone!
  • singfree
    Options
    Happy Tuesday! After yesterday's cold rain and wind, the weather and my mood has changed for the better. I don't know what it was, but I was super tired and achey yesterday. I made it to my "Tosca" rehearsal last night without any problems. I'm just continuing my eating and exercise routine as usual. I am substituting outdoor biking for cardio at the gym. I really am bored with the treadmill. So, only strength training at the gym.

April, I agree about the weather here in PA. I would like it to STAY warm.

Swissmiss, hi! Have not talked with you for a while, great job on the weightloss!

Alf, did I hear right? No scale or measuring? You WILL be very pleased in a month, especially when you measure. You'll need a new wardrobe.

WantTo Be, I find that I need to fit in a bit more rest time, depending on how hard I am working out, which is usually pretty hard. My wife thinks I should take it easier...uh, no. I know of only one way, full bore.

Have a great day all!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    That's right Singfree, no measuring no weighing until I finish the first phase of ChaLean X. I don't know about needing a new wardrobe, I am already having trouble buying the right size. In some stores even XS is too big...and I am not bragging but that is a problem...pant size I can still get smaller, there are still some smaller sizes but I am not really trying to get into size 0.

Talking about that, and Singfree you are a guy, give me your input. My husband has mentioned a couple of times lately that I am getting too small and that he does not like thin women. That I should not lose anymore, that he does not want me to look like a teenage boy, etc etc...it is getting irritating. I told him that I am not trying to lose anymore weight that I just want to get fitter and stronger but I have no control how my body is going to look like with that type of exercise I am doing. I was so irritated the last time he mentioned it again that I said "well I don't like that you have gotten fat but I don't nag about it" :noway: :noway: He did not say anything else after that...:laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou:
  • singfree
    Options
    Alf, I can see where you're coming from. Yes, most men (myself included) do enjoy womanly curves :love:. My wife is also losing some weight and getting smaller. At my age, I appreciate the fact that she desires to become healthy & fit. I will always loves her no matter what size she is. You need to stress to your husband that you are doing this not only for you, but for him and your family who depends on you to be mom, wife, nurse, etc... When it is all said and done I'm sure he would prefer you to be thin and healthy rather than overweight and sick. Perhaps he is noticing your progress and is a bit angry with himself if he has a few extra lbs. I trust that he will begin to see things from your perspective and join the fitness revolution! Best of luck!
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Alf... You need to do what makes you happy not what makes someone else happy. I have spent the last 20 years trying to keep the hubby and kids happy that I totally forgot about myself. And then who ends up fat and unhappy... ME!!! Just keep up with the goal you have and ultimately he will find out that you look amazing after reaching it.
    I was so proud of myself yesterday UNTIL the hubby came home... I did stay under my calories intake but he ended up giving me dove chocolate eggs, I only had 4 but still.... And I did exercise for 40 minutes on the stair step and hula hooped for 10. I know its silly but I can feel my abs when I do it so I'm hoping it will help in that area. My question is... Even though I still stayed under my calorie count will the chocolate stop any weight loss I might have achieved other wise?
  • cardigirl
    Options
    Ditto what singfree said, Alf.

Perhaps your husband is just a little threatened by the changes he sees in you. Any way you could up the reassurance level in your relationship? Some people are really threatened by change and resist it mightily.

You're are an inspiration to me though! Wow! Just hoping to someday fit into a medium. :laugh:

Question for the board...what constitutes a "good" protein. Or more desirable protein? I thought protein was protein. *scratches head*