40+ Club

Options

Replies

• singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Stay with us TexasMom, we're always here for you!

Phetzgetfit, welcome back! If I took 60 classes in 60 days I'd be doing the pretzel pose, because I wouldn't be able to straighten up ! I "try" to do the yoga part of P90X but I stink at it. It made a sniveling wimp out of me. My hat is off to you!

Annaliza, you will be fine after you get used to eating a good balanced diet. So great that you quit smoking. That was the real danger. Just don't get frustrated, stay with it, and you amaze yourself!
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,816 Member
    Options
    Just a quick Friday morning check-in. I'm actually down 1.4 pounds this week to 114.7. Like I said last night, I'm thinking more and more about going for that 110 mark. I'll see what happens over the next few weeks. I think if I stop losing, I'm not going to sweat it, but if the pounds come off with what I'm currently doing, I won't change what I'm currently doing. I measured myself this morning for the first time in a month. I'm down .5" in my waist (24.5") and 1" in my hips (34"). I'm happy. :drinker:

annaliza, I really hear you about the whole 'learning how to eat' thing. When I started on this current weight loss journey, I told myself this would be the last such journey I will ever take because this time, I'm changing for good. So I've been doing alot of reading, alot of listening to podcasts and audiobooks, etc to try to become more informed on both fitness and nutrition. I'm not reading diet books, per se, but more things like on where high fructose corn syrup (as an example) comes from and the impact it has on the body. I don't want a 'quick fix'. I want to know what I'm putting into my body and whether it is the best thing for me to eat or not. While I'm pleased with the weight loss, this part of my journey has been, by far, the most beneficial because it has completely (and I mean COMPLETELY) changed the way I see food. I'm glad you've come to MFP because there are alot of very knowledgable people who probably can help you learn how to eat. And congrats! on quitting smoking!!

Welcome TexasMom! Good to see you again, phetzgetfit!

Hope everybody enjoys their day.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Stiring, I think I've told you this, but you are an inspiration to me. I am impressed by your determination, not only to lose the weight, but also to learn about what is best for you and your "just do it" attitude. Wow!! :drinker: :drinker: Your body keeps reacting to your changes. It seems to me that what you really needed was to eat more and definitely eat the right things. I really hope the same happens to me. But I also know we are all different. I do appreciate you and others for taking the time to give me suggestions.

I'm not weighing in nor measuring today but I do feel pretty good!!!

Annalyza, congrats on quitting smoking!!! That is the best thing you can do for your health. It is a slow process to learn how to eat well and do the right thing. It takes a lot of patience, determination and a positive attitude. From what I've heard from you, it sounds like you have these qualities. You can do it!!!

Have a great Friday!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • singfree
    Options
    Hi all! Very busy Friday...lots of work to do and I have a dress rehearsal with Harrisburg Symphony this evening. I'm off for a long bike ride to clear my head. Not a super week eating or exercising, but oh well, sometimes it happens, Have a great weekend!
  • TexasMom
    TexasMom Posts: 70
    Options
    Thanks for taking me in. :happy:

Annaliza - WOW!!! congrats on quitting the smoking. I no it's not an easy feat for so many and the fact that you had the "want to" says a lot.

phetzgetfit - ditto to what singfree said. 60 days is awesome. You inspire me. :flowerforyou:

singfree - rehearsal?? what do you play? I love music and I love the symphony. I was gifted in vocal and playing but never did anything with it. Now when I sit at the piano about all I can do is remember where to put my fingers and knock out a few chords. My daughters are following through so far which I love. They probably won't make a carreer out of it but they play beautifully and sing like angels.

alf1163 - Your not too far from me. Just down the I35 corridor of congestion. I love your picture.... what beach were you on?

Stiring - Thanks for the welcome. This site has already made a huge difference in me and my family and I've only been on for a week. WOW!!

I made the commitment to change and stick to it this time. I started a little over 2 weeks ago by vowing to quit getting dinner delivered to the house and start cooking. I love to cook but got out of the habit when I was working way too much the last 5 years. My family is actually loving it. My husband and step son come in to the kitchen and after they are overwhelmed by the smells they'll both start chanting "the chef is back in town.... the chef is back in town". What's truly exciting is that they like my meals better than all the delivery stuff and mine are healthy. Go figure. :wink:

Well I hope everyone has a wonderful and blessed day. :flowerforyou:
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Well this week I pretty much jumped up and down when it comes to weight. I weigh myself everyday on the wii just to keep track. But I did jump back on my treadmill two days ago and really made sure I kept under my calorie intake (even if some of my choices were unhealthy *cough* apple fritter:blushing: ) and within the last two days of doing that I have lost 1/2 a pound. Down to 122.5. I'm hoping if I continue this way I should be able to lose at least 1 pound a week.... Here's hoping:happy:

Texasmom... Welcome. This is a great group of people, I think you'll enjoy it here.

String... You are heading in the direction that I wish to go. Can I ask, where did you start out at? I actually started at 140lbs got down to 110 for a brief moment but my measurements weren't as small as yours. Maybe because I wasn't working out, i don't know.
  • alf1163
    Options
    Texasmom, that was in Isabela, Puerto Rico this past March. Beautiful place...the horseback riding was AWESOME!!!! Where are you in TX? I live in San Antonio. Keep up the good work and keep cooking at home!!!! I don't know which one are you in the picture, you are all beautiful!! :flowerforyou:
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,816 Member
    Options
    tron, I was 143 back when I started this on Jan 5 (I'm 5'2" inches tall). I'm not really sure I can maintain 110 either, but I'm kind of curious to see if I can get back to that weight (a weight I was at or slightly under for much of my teen years/early 20s). About my measurements, I think exercise plays a part, but I think body shape is also a big part of it. I've always had a smallish waist, bigger hips, and bigger-even-yet-thighs. No amount of working out is going to give me skinny legs, that's for sure. But working out helps if for no other reason than they don't jiggle as much when I'm walking around. :tongue: Where I see the bulk of my working out results are in places like my arms (I can see the muscle) and, oddly, my butt (it gives me a better shape), so there is alot of cosmetic good--as well as health benefits of course--that can be obtained from working out.

alf, thanks for your kind words. Actually, I'm surprising myself how dedicated I am about this right now. :laugh:

TexasMom, that's great about your family and meals! Thanks for sharing that with us. It is surprising how easy it is sometimes to forget the simple wonders of having a homecooked meal with the family. :flowerforyou:
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Texasmom, youve inspired me! I made a wonderful, healthy homemade dinner (vegetarian fajitas) for the family tonight -thanks to your vow to stop having home delivery.

I thought I ate too much tonight but I ended up staying within my alloted calories. I didn't exercise today, and I feel out of sorts. Today was a scheduled day off from exercise but I think I need to do a little something everyday just to fight the soreness away.

I'm really amazed. I went to the store tonight and got all healthy foods. I thought my family would complain but instead they were all munching on carrots and apples and strawberries rather than donuts, cookies and chips. A much needed improvement from what we usually eat. Hopefully I'll be able to keep it up.

Blessings - A
  • alf1163
    Options
    Congrats Annaliza!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: I know you can keep it up with the healthy lifestyle and your family will too. I really don't remember when was the last time I went to the cookie aisle in the store...you will see that you won't even think twice about getting in there soon. I will tell you a cute story about my son. The other day we were at my brother's and they keep a lot of junk food in the pantry and refrigerator. My husband went to check on him (he is autistic) and he was in their refrigerator looking for an apple!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's my son!!! :drinker: :laugh: :laugh: If I am in the mood for something sweet I make it myself the healthy way. I made some oatmeal cookies last night with whole wheat flour, egg whites, applesauce instead of butter, etc and they are delicious and healthier than the prepackaged, processed cookies you buy at the stores. Next time I am making them with less sugar but that is a recipe in the works...:laugh:

My grandbaby and daughter are here visiting. We are going to downtown to the Fiesta Flambeau Night Parade, so lots of walking there with baby on my back!!! I did ChaLean burn 2 and ab burner workout already.

Happy Saturday!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    finally! A beautiful Saturday in New England! Yay!!! Went to the gym already and have a full day of yard work and being outside to look forward to but wanted to check in, say hi, and wish Singfree a wonderful perfomance tonight! I know you say "Break a leg" to actors, and "merde!" to ballet dancers, not sure what you say to singers, but I hope it all goes very well and is a smash!

Thanks so much for creating this thread, Singfree, ...in a week's time I have found so much inspiration and encouragement here!

Everybody have a wonderful weekend!:flowerforyou:
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Got increased by 34 :grumble: :grumble: last night at Curves (Smart Workout)........ killer workout, but managed to increase on 3 machines and burn 426 calories. Not bad for the 2nd time I've worked out in 2 weeks!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    Cold and windy this morning, but walked anyway 2.5 miles (with several long hills) in 40 minues.......3.6mph - I am SO proud of myself! :drinker: :drinker: The pedometer said I only burnd 193 calories, but hard to tell for sure since it measures by stride length and not heart rate. Any suggestions for a good but nout outrageously expensive heart rate monitor??
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. It looks like we have some very successful people here.
    I am sorry that I have been AWOL again. I have had a very bad week. Been coming home every night so tired and sore. But, the good thing is that my metabolism has jumped into gear. I am losing weight...two pounds this week. Before surgery I had been at a plateau and it looks like I have broken through.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    I need to hear from anyone who works and still has the time and energy to post in the thread. I have not been keeping up on it and feel bad about this. I haven't even been reporting my foods. No time!!
  • alf1163
    Options
    I work 5-7 hrs outside the home Tue to Fri plus I take my son to private therapies, spend time with hubby, cook, clean, workout, etc etc. I try to plan and log my foods the night before or in the morning for the entire day. Then, if needed, I edit anything when I have a moment during the day. This way I do this when I have extra time, usually in the evening or early morning while I am eating my breakfast and waiting for my son's school bus. My laptop is in the kitchen so it is easier to log in, enter foods, etc. Weekends are easier. It is time consuming, no denying that, but I have been doing this since Jan 08 and it has become part of my routine now. Oh, and it also helps that I eat a lot of the same foods for breakfast and snacks, especially during the week, so they are already in my food diary. :flowerforyou:
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Ok alf...You may have me beat. I work 40 hours a week. But my job is very physical and this week I have just come home and collapsed every night. I do get the family's dinner over with and usually the dishes washed before bed. I take my husband to work at 10 pm and pick him up at 7:30 am. I work 8 to 4:30. My husband and I are planning on going to the gym after he picks me up in the evening and then we will go home. I just need to get back into the swing of things.
  • singfree
    Options
    Happy Monday everyone! Well...it was a hectic weekend to say the least. Dress rehearsals on Thursday & Friday, and the performances (Tosca) on Saturday and Sunday. I had to come back to work for a breather! Thanks to all who wished me well this weekend. The performances went very well. This time I was not one of the soloists. I sang in the opera chorus (comprised of the Susquehanna Chorale and the Messiah College Concert Choir). The stage was crowded with 65 orchestra, 80 chorus, and 6 soloists. TexasMom, as you can tell, I am a singer. I'm classically trained with a master's in voice (but I work in industry which pays the bills).

As far as starting this thread, I can't take credit for it. Our dear friend Alf started the original one back in Jan or Feb. Remember Alf, when you were surprised that a man was joining the club? I must thank her for starting all of this, because I am inspired and encouraged daily by each and every one of you!

OK... the big push has started. I am happy about the warm weather here (it was 92 degress here in PA yesterday)!!!! I have 5 weeks to tighten up my eating and exercising. We arrive in California on June 1 to visit my brother in law. It is mostly my diet that needs attention. If I can cut out the cheat treats, wine and pretzels, I will get there!!!
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Good Morning everyone!

Alf, thanks so much for the kind words and the wonderful story! I'm always so proud when I see my kids looking for apples and not candy or sweets.

I had a good weekend though I didn't eat all my exercise calories. I figured out that I was doing way more than I had been giving myself credit for - ie all those walks pulling the stroller really adds up in calories burned! I'm finding it a little hard to keep up with the eating though my body is getting used to more frequent smaller meals.

Singfree, sounds like you had a busy weekend. I'm so jealous :tongue: I love to sing and miss singing with groups or in concerts. Now my voice just sounds like crap compared to what I used to sound like before I started smoking.

Swiss, I'm a pretty busy person. I work full time in IT and I work part time as an adjunct professor teaching computer science classes a couple of days a week. I also have 2 kids in diapers so I keep very, very busy. I am also going to Grad school to get my Master's degree so that takes up a lot of time, too.

I usually log my stuff in while I'm a work :devil: but I have a private office so it's easier for me. On the weekends, I log in what I can during small snatches of time. For the most part, I try to log my stuff in all at once, then just modify it a little if it needs tweaking.
  • alf1163
    Options
    Good morning gang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had a killer workout this morning!!! :drinker: :drinker: I'm ready to conquer the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

As Singfree said I did start this thread under another topic. I never knew it was going to last this long. I've started others and I have never gotten any interest from others. I love this group!!!! We are all on the same page and we encourage ourselves and learn from each other every day!!! Keep up the great work!!!!!! :drinker: :drinker:

Annaliza, how in the world do you do it?????????????????? :noway: :noway: Well, now that you quit smoking you can start training your beautiftul voice again, you will get it back!!

Have a wonderful day!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • singfree
    Options
    Alf, it sounds like Chalean is agreeing with you! Are you doing any supplemental exercise (running, walking, etc...)?

Annaliza, I'm very glad you're not smoking any longer. It will pay dividends in health and you will have the wind to sing!