WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2012

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,983 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: we got up super early this morning so there would be time to walk the dogs for two hours before taking Bernie, the cat, the vet for his dental cleaning.....the worst part was not feeding him after 8 PM.....he woke me up several times during the night to tell me he was hungry :laugh: now he's home and feeling fine and enjoying some soft food :bigsmile:

:bigsmile: I danced for about 90 minutes this afternoon practicing with the line dance performance group----we perform tomorrow afternoon and next Wednesday....I was wearing my HRM and could see that my heart rate was a lot lower than it is for the two hours I walk the dogs in the morning and some of the dancers were breathing hard and saying that they hoped there would be a chance for breaks in the performance to catch their breath.....It let me know that I'm in a lot better shape than I realize:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: the highest my heart rate was all afternoon was when I walked uphill in the parking lot to get back to my car:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:bigsmile: finding where I left off reading in the thread hasn't been a problem for me......i just go back to the time I was last on the computer and read from there. I like that we're not scattered into a whole bunch of separate topics.
  • blissfuldrake
    blissfuldrake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hello, everybody. I'm really glad to have found this thread. I'm 55 and working on losing quite a few pounds. I love the 'atmosphere' here, and look forward to posting more in the future!
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Just marking my place, if I don't I'll never find it again. lol

Ran today and managed to up my speed a little. I am a slow runner even after I "speed up". I did 2 miles in 24 minutes, putting me at 5 mph. Now to just get to where I can maintain that for 6 miles and I'll be happy. :)
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Oh, good, I've found the 'older' crowd. 53 yo Australian here.

Hello all

Just recently started on MFP and think being a member here can help keep me on track.

My goal for February is to firmly establish a daily walking routine.

Feel free to friend.

Del
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Early Valentines with my friend. Dinner and a card. Nice evening
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Wow - it flipped to a new thread when I wasn't looking.

Busy day today, so I don't have much to report. Aquafit this morning, then popped in to see DBF. Came home for my own lunch and then went to my Spanish class.

Went back to see DBF and then came home. Chopped a bit more ice for 20 minutes then came in the house to make supper and get ready for my students to come.

Now I'm going to bed. Have a dr appt in the morning to get the results from various and sundry tests she had done after my annual check-up.

And so to bed....
  • yellowrose5321
    yellowrose5321 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Welcome Rebecca, ke1996, mazie61, sarily 44, Del, and any other newcomers I somehow missed! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

@Mary – I had one Red Lobster biscuit. I had planned ahead – looked at their nutritional info online and decided what to have and saw that I could have one biscuit and stay within my calorie range. As it turns out, since I added extra calories for the rice and broccoli to the 370 calories for the dinner when I was doing my planning, I probably could have a 2nd one, but I felt satisfied with just having the one.

@Donna – Oh, how frustrating! :mad: Looks like, if it was a “known” problem, they could have sent the proper clips to begin with. If you’re really motivated to get started this week, raid your pantry. You can use 16 oz or 32 oz bags of rice or beans for 1 or 2 lb weights. 16 oz cans in a cloth or plastic grocery bag will make adjustable hand weights. Up for more?? Bench press a couple of 5 lb bags of flour. Make that food work for you in more ways than 1! :bigsmile:

@ke1996 – I know some people have a problem with eating after certain hours, but it doesn’t always affect everyone badly. I regularly have something before going to bed, and it doesn’t seem to affect my weight loss. I usually have a cup of herbal tea and an apple or other fruit, or some non-fat yogurt. But if you need to avoid the sugars, you might try a lean protein snack: low-fat string cheese stick, a slice or 2 of deli turkey or chicken rolled up, a ½ c of any number of different kinds of beans, roasted chickpeas (garbanzo beans), or edamame.

@Jane – Praying for a quick recovery from your surgery. :flowerforyou:

Well, my Monday started ok, but I never was able to fit in any exercise before lunch. In a weak moment, I agreed to let DD take me to lunch for Valentine’s Day (is there any place I could move that doesn't have Mexican restaurants??!??), and the day just kinda went downhill from there. Not too far over on total calories, but too many carbs and no exercise will not get me where I want to go!! Back in the saddle tomorrow! :yawn: :yawn: Time to call it a day (before something else in the kitchen calls my name)

Linda
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Just place marking. Have a great day ladies.

Geri
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies

Happy Valentine's day to you all. It's my DD#1s wedding anniversary today so I'm looking after the twins whilst they go to the theatre to see Wicked. Unfortunately the babies both have the tummy bug we have all had recently. DD wasn't sure if she should go out and leave them, but as I said, I can look after them so they don't have to worry.

I have decided that I'm no longer going to weigh myself for a while. I have been getting a bit concerned that my weight kept dropping below what I wanted it to be - so I'm going to just weigh myself every few months.

Anyway - I need to get my 'rear in gear' so I'd better hop off the computer.

Love to you all
    Amanda x
  • realpure
    realpure Posts: 156
    Options
    Happy Valentines Day! Marking my spot. I will come back when I have time to read and post.

Wishing all a very lovely day.
  • scompton54
    Options
    Marking my spot and answering the question about roasting parsnipe. Almost all veggies get sweeter when roasted because roasting caramelizes their natural sugar. I often roast up a big batch of veggies....I especially love cauliflower, and you can change the flavour by adding fresh finger, curry powder and/or or garam masala, or go more mediterranean by using basil, garlic and oregano.

Have a good day and happy valentine's day to all the singles out there too!!

Sarah
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    blissfuldrake - welcome to this journey. You WILL do it, and we will be here to support you all the way.
    Del - welcome/ What part of Augstralia are you from ?

Linda - Isn't it amazing how after a while you're satisfied with even just one bisciut? WTG!

Happy Valentine's Day. I'm off to the the stairmaster, then get my hair colored, then play mahjongg, then maybe bowl a few games. Tomorrow...water aerobics

Going to post this to mark my spot. Hope everyone has a great day!

Michele
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    :love:
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :mad: :explode: :noway: No internet at home, so quickly posting from work!

:sad: :sad: No time to look at all the posts but hope everyone is okay I really miss you guys when I can't keep in touch!

Take care everyone and I hope to join you again soon - engineer coming out tomorrow (Wednesday) so I'll keep my fingers crossed that he can fix things.

Viv xx
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    p.s. - I am getting lost in the length of this thread. Anyone else? Has there been any thought to starting a Women Ages 50+ Group? Just putting it out there ;)
    Yes I think it's a good idea...more room
    I thought maybe this thread was from a group. I kept looking for it and never did find the group. LOL. I agree that a group would be great!!

I too get lost with so many posts to catch up on and have asked about forming a group in the past. Its one of the reasons I don't participate in the thread more. I feel guilty for not having the time to read and reply to everyone! But the general consensus is that the majority doesn't want a group; just us few.

:heart: Happy Valentines Day, ladies :heart: What a perfect day to do aerobics and get that ol heart rate shifted into burn mode.

I have a romantic candlelight dinner at home planned so I can control portions and content. Going to try a new recipe I found for chocolate zucchini bread as dessert. Will let you know how it turns out.
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Happy Valentines Day, daahlin’s :happy:

Got up to find a bouquet of flowers and a few select but very fine chocolates on the counter. My DH is a romantic. We’ve been married almost 30 years! :flowerforyou:

It’s “Reading Month” at school, so we have “Read in Red” day today. I don’t own any red clothing, so my pink flowery sweater will have to do. My students asked me yesterday if we are having a classroom party to celebrate Valentine’s day. :bigsmile: “Hah,” I said, “I copied you some extra work on pink paper!”.

Pam3, hope you’re feeling much better today! :indifferent:

Hey, AHealthierSuzyQ – can you work on the elliptical and play on the PC at the same time? :bigsmile:

Mary – You are not boring me with your accountability report, it helps keep me on track too. Keep up the great work! I did read your article about the scales when you first posted the link and I don’t take it too seriously. In fact I’m back down to withing ½ a pound of my pre-bonspiel weight today. :happy:

Meg, I love the idea of ex-patriot Canadians curling in SC! You should try it.

Michele, I really don’t know how you manage to bake all those goodies and eat so few! I am getting much better at resisting temptation, but I really don’t think I could handle it right under my nose. Apricots are pretty good, though.

Desiree are you off to Germany soon?

Barbiecat, It’s pretty cool that you are in such good shape that line-dancing doesn’t raise your heart-rate to the moon! :happy: I really get a kick out of using my HRM to monitor my activity, it sounds like you do too.

New ladies, you will find that it's easy to keep track of the conversation thread once you get used to it. I like this format better than a group because we can share all kinds of ideas and keep together.

Off to find the pink sweater and get J'boy off to school. Rise and shine!

Hasta pronto,

Nancy
  • bearroller
    bearroller Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    ^
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Hey, AHealthierSuzyQ – can you work on the elliptical and play on the PC at the same time? :bigsmile:

Nancy

Oh how I wish! But I still have a desktop dinosaur that my techie son keeps upgrading "for" me. By the time it wears out ipads and laptops will probably be obsolete! :laugh:

I did a zumba dvd today. Now its off to run errands :drinker:
  • seaglass2
    Options
    <3 Happy Valentine's Day! <3
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Marking my spot and answering the question about roasting parsnipe. Almost all veggies get sweeter when roasted because roasting caramelizes their natural sugar. I often roast up a big batch of veggies....I especially love cauliflower, and you can change the flavour by adding fresh finger, curry powder and/or or garam masala, or go more mediterranean by using basil, garlic and oregano.

Have a good day and happy valentine's day to all the singles out there too!!

Sarah

Typos brighten my day! I am sure that fresh finger would change the flavor of anything (wouldn't want to use the stale finger though!) I am sure you meant ginger. Don't feel bad, I do things like that too, and besides, you made me smile!

I hope everyone is having a great Valentine's Day! Mary