WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2012

Options

Replies

• jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

I suffer from the dysmorphic view of myself that Virgina mentioned and I'm wondering what can be done about it. I've been doing a little reading and thought I'd share a few quotes. This first one is something I definitely must do:

"Banish any clothing, and accessories such as scarves for example that do not make you feel good about yourself and how you look. Now you may be thinking, "But I can't do that, I wouldn't have any clothes left, or enough clothes." However, what is worse, wearing clothes that make you feel bad because they don't fit right, or the colors are wrong, or you don't like how they make you look? Or, just keeping the bare minimum of clothing that you do like, and then going shopping for more clothes that you will like and which look good on you now. If you can't bring yourself to get rid of the clothing you hate and or which doesn't make you feel good about yourself, then put it out of sight like in a suitcase you aren't using, or in the garage in a plastic bag. If you can't see it then you can't be reminded of how it makes you feel when you wear it. "
    --Author unknown

“I am beginning to measure myself in strength, not pounds. Sometimes in smiles.”
    ― Laurie Halse Anderson, Wintergirls

"Get off the scale! I have yet to see a scale that can tell you how enchanting your eyes are. I have yet to see a scale that can show you how wonderful your hair looks when the sun shines its glorious rays on it. I have yet to see a scale that can thank you for your compassion, sense of humor, and contagious smile. Get off the scale because I have yet to see one that can admire you for your perseverance when challenged in life. It’s true, the scale can only give you a numerical reflection of your relationship with gravity. That’s it. It cannot measure beauty, talent, purpose, life force, possibility, strength, or love. Don’t give the scale more power than it has earned. Take note of the number, then get off the scale and live your life. You are beautiful!"
    ― Steve Maraboli, Life, the Truth, and Being Free

"The world has become uglier since it began to look into a mirror every day; so let us settle for the mirror image and do without an inspection of the original."
    -- Karl Kraus

And last but not least, this one really makes me think:

“You never come back, not all the way. Always there is an odd distance between you and the people you love and the people you meet, a barrier thin as the glass of a mirror, you never come all the way out of the mirror; you stand, for the rest of your life, with one foot in this world and one in another, where everything is upside down and backward and sad.”
    ― Marya Hornbacher, Wasted: A Memoir Of Anorexia And Bulimia

Sure do appreciate all of you for continuing to share your thoughts here. I think we're all learning just a little about how to treat ourselves better.

:flowerforyou:
    :^) jb
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Happy Sat. everyone!

Meg: I was up at 5:30 too. Not acceptable at all on a Sat.!

True confessions here: I had a horrible week. It started out with TOM (can't believe this is still happening to me!) and topped by Valentine's Day chocolates, I began to spin out of control. I fell into old habits and could not believe what I was eating.

Yesterday was better and I actually exercised and didn't eat too bad. Today I am ON IT! I am starting out right and have goals to keep it right. I weighed this morning and am 1 lb up. I can't believe only 1 lb found me. Someone is having mercy on me. For this I am thankful.

Now, today is a new day....spring is right around the corner, along with cute spring clothes and hopefully pants that fit. Mine are snug and I DON'T LIKE IT! That is motivation for sure!

Off to exercise, get some chores in and spend time with my daughter and grandson. We are running some errands together and then I have a babysitting gig with the wee one tonight while mommy and daddy have a date. Life is good!

Have an awesome Sat. everyone. Exercise and drink that water! :drinker:
    Sharon
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Robin - Olivia is adorable. I love baby cheeks! And her hair is amazing. :laugh: This little guy will be a year old in March and all he has is fuzz.

Amanda - You should not feel guilty about wanting more time for yourself and family. You have all done an amazing job.

Not seeing yourself as your current size? That's me. I had NO idea what I looked like until I saw some very unflattering pictures - ugh. I think our brains lag reality - both going up and coming down.

It's been a drizzly couple of days here. I need to get outside and pull some weeds from some garden beds. Hopefully I have some kohlrabi and onions ready to harvest. The pansies and snapdragons have been enjoying the cool damp weather for sure.

Faye
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

davestecgirl: Wow...running 6K is awesome! WTG!!!:flowerforyou:

genealace: I love the hair and love seeing your smiling face on your new profile pic!

Virginia: Size 8s:love::love: :love: You are doing SO well and are a great inspiration to us all!

Amanda: Wow...24 inch waist is TINY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope you get the MIL visits worked out...it is stressful, I know.

Sharon and Meg: I cannot sleep late ever, no matter the day. I have learned to really enjoy a morning spent leisurely reading with a cup of coffee though!

realpure: You have the right attitude and will be a great example for your daughter on healthy living!

jb: Love your posts and thanks for the wonderful inspirational messages...we all need them:flowerforyou:

The wind is howling and the snow is falling!!! I think it is a nice morning to sit inside for a while. It wind continues I will do my exercise indoors. I do not like to ski in the wind and snow together! We had fun skiing with 3 other couple friends yesterday and had dinner at one of their homes. Very nice, but happy to have a quiet day today!

Take care, all! Kackie:heart:
  • smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Options
    Been on an eating and drinking binge for about 3 weeks now. Gained 4 pounds and now weigh more than when I started by half a pound. Going to recommitt today (again). I have had my fun and now must get serious. I love reading everyone's posts. One of hte best things of being older are grandchildren. What funs. Goiing now to do something good for me.

smwert
  • gonna_do_it_56
    gonna_do_it_56 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone....as a woman of a certain age I think this could be the thread for me......but just joined MFP and still finding my way around,,,,,,,
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    I did good for Valentine's Day. Hubby just got me a 3 piece thing of candy. My boss brought in homemade chicken vegatable soup. He said he knew we were all on diets, so he brought something healthy. It was really very good soup and he strains all the fat over night just like I do.

Last night my kids and I went to a local dinner theater as part of our monthly support of local businesses. It was expensive, but the food was definitely served in accurate one serving sizes. <-good thing. We saw a play called "The Dining Room". It was a good play and a good time was had by all. As usual hubby declined joining us. Maybe next month he will decide to leave the house and come with us.

Hope everyone else is doing well. As always I hope things will calm down around here so I can keep up with the posts.

Jeannie
  • megathome111
    megathome111 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies...just could not sleep-in today...got up at 5:30...this is not acceptable on Saturday! However, I will use my time wisely gleaning inspiration for all of you wonderful ladies.

MEG

OOOOPS...this was supposed to say "gleaning inspiration FROM all of you wonderful ladies". Fingers & Brain were not in sync.
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Been on an eating and drinking binge for about 3 weeks now. Gained 4 pounds and now weigh more than when I started by half a pound. Going to recommitt today (again). I have had my fun and now must get serious. I love reading everyone's posts. One of hte best things of being older are grandchildren. What funs. Goiing now to do something good for me.

smwert
    I so agree with the best thing about being older is grandchildren, My 3 yr old grandson makes me see things like I have never seen before, shower tomorrow for his little sister due In April.
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday :) It looks spring like here in Southern CA. Busy weekend, cousin's birthday tonite, baby shower tomorrow for my daughter in law. They are having a girl so all the things she saved from Grandson of course is all boy.The one good thing, is when she had Trevor, they didn't want to know the sex so she has lots of white, green and yellow things. This is the first girl on her side out of 6 boys for her parents. Don't think she will be spoiled. :):laugh:

Was surprised to she the scale down a pound this morning, still looking for my tape measure to measure, I put away so grandson wouldn't play with it, and now old timer's has set in and I don't know where I put it.

Going to try some wii and elipitical today.
    Keep up the good work ladies.

Sherry
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Robin- congrats on the new grandbaby enjoy every minute.
    Jane- wishing you fast recovery on your upcoming surgery.
    Welcome to all the newcomers.
    Congrats to everyone who has lost, who has stuck with
    Last word on group or thread. I like how things are please don't change. I enjoy reading how everyone is doing.
    No matter the topic. Don't have time to go to all the different topic. Reading how that some of you are still see yourself as overweight. I too struggle with that I'm 1/2 way to my goal.
    And I still see myself at my heaviest. I would like to see my image as I am now. I'm so interested to see how this is manage.
    Joyce
  • yellowrose5321
    yellowrose5321 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    UGH!! Dreary, rainy day here today -- took a long time to get up and get moving this morning. Would love to curl up on the couch with hot tea and a book, but have places to go and things to do so I best get started!

Hope everyone has a great Saturday!
    Linda
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Love that it's Saturday,

I too woke up early and after trying to get back to sleep figured I would get up and not toss & turn and wake up hubby.

Had company for dinner last night, made lots of low fat, low sugar, low calorie foods...it was the two glasses of wine that were subject..thank goodness the scale stayed the same:happy:

Tonight we head to DIL #2 parents for dinner (they are some of our closest friends) and she knows I am watching what I'm eating so I don't have to be concerned for that meal.

Tomorrow we head up to the north end of the city to have brunch with Son #3 & DIL before he heads to a study group for his Masters, he said the next couple of weeks he will be very busy and we might not see or hear from him so we are getting in our time with him tomorrow morning.

Yesterday afternoon we attened a concert at Denver University Lamont School of Music to hear Son #2 (he is getting his Master's this year) He won the Jazz Chamber Competition this year....every time I hear him play I am just amazed that he's our son...and we always tease that "if he would just take lessons" he might amount to something. He's only had about 4.5 years of formal piano lessons, the rest is God given talent. To earn extra money for his family he teaches and plays at local resturants, one regular gig he has is every Monday & Thursday night at Hill Top (formerly Houston's), he was telling us yesterday that sometimes he needs to practice and when he doesn't have time he does it there...the patrons just hear the music and have no idea that he's practicing:laugh:

New grandchildren, newbies joining us here, those that have lost....:drinker: Cheers:drinker:

I must get going, I've got to watch my DVD about my new sewing machine and see if I can do some sewing today.

Have to get my first glass of water:drinker: and find time to hit the treadmill too.

Everyone have a good day:flowerforyou:

Laura:smile:
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    Robin, I meant "she." "She!" She's an adorable baby and you're a beautiful grandma.

jb, thanks for the quotes. I'm going to put one of them on my status (about not going by the scale). Good food for though.

Barbie, strength training is on the agenda today thanks to you.

Mimi svq
  • brunsda
    Options
    Glad to have found you again. I look forward to making connections and getting to know you all. I have been struggling with exercise. I know it is important for my health, but I am still not doing it. Trying to figure out why.
  • determinedinAZ
    determinedinAZ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello - Happy Saturday
    Hubby and I going to Tucson AZ to visit sister & brother-in-law. Food may be a challenge (always is when you don't prepare yourself)....I'm ready to make good choices though. :smile:

I just love this site for inspiration and MFP sharing. It's nice to see all the "grammy" input. :happy:

Monday will be weigh-in for me - so looking forward to a loss.:bigsmile: Have a perfect weekend with good choices, family & friends!!

Bye till Monday:flowerforyou:
  • zdragonone
    zdragonone Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Nice to find an older group. Over 60, retired and tired of not being able to get around well.
  • soobussy
    soobussy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I am just getting round this site and as I am 56 years old , think this group is for me, will hopefully catch up with everyone, I have lost weight before finding MFP, but hope it will give me motivation to keep going

Hello everyone
    Sue
  • blissfuldrake
    blissfuldrake Posts: 128 Member
    Options

“I am beginning to measure myself in strength, not pounds. Sometimes in smiles.”
    ― Laurie Halse Anderson, Wintergirls

"Get off the scale! I have yet to see a scale that can tell you how enchanting your eyes are. I have yet to see a scale that can show you how wonderful your hair looks when the sun shines its glorious rays on it. I have yet to see a scale that can thank you for your compassion, sense of humor, and contagious smile. Get off the scale because I have yet to see one that can admire you for your perseverance when challenged in life. It’s true, the scale can only give you a numerical reflection of your relationship with gravity. That’s it. It cannot measure beauty, talent, purpose, life force, possibility, strength, or love. Don’t give the scale more power than it has earned. Take note of the number, then get off the scale and live your life. You are beautiful!"
    ― Steve Maraboli, Life, the Truth, and Being Free

I love these two quotes. Steve Maraboli certainly has a way with words. For so many years, I have hidden in the house, ashamed of how I looked, depressed, and getting weaker and sicker by the day. If I had his words to live by then, and if I had applied them, I would have been a much happier person.

I will take those words to heart now...
  • Susan0816
    Susan0816 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this is the middle of February and this is the 1st post for Feb. I have not forgotten anyone but to busy to take care of myself. Have been super busy with the legal item that is happening, plus DH surgery in Jan. should be cleared to drive & etc this week. I HAVE to find a place for our son. His social workers should be working on finding him a place to live but they are not. He has been here since Mar 28, 2011 and this was suppose to be temporary.

Just wanted to check in and wish everyone a great weekend.!!!!!!!